The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

UFC 144 thread

redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: UFC 144 thread

Post  redmeanie77 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:08 pm

Most epic promo ever

Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:20 pm

Spoiler:

Thoroughly enjoyed that. Really glad I got the Hunt fight wrong.
    Unfortunately, the Rampage fght went the way I thought, he probably lost the fight, at the weigh in, although, just for a moment......That slam.....

Cannot believe that Boetsch his fight around, Okami had him beat, but just lost concentration at the wrong moment.

Hioki and Pettis looked awesome, but, I'm not too sure how Edgar could think that he won the title fight, all his corner had to do, was hand him a mirror ffs.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:58 pm

Don't click on this thread if you don't want spoilers.

Fantastic event. All UFCs should be 7 fights long in future.

Enjoyed seeing Hunt KO Kongo (Although the stoppage was early. Is it just me or has Hearb Dean been not himself lately?)
    Who should he fight next? Bigfoot seems like a logical opponent. Maybe Hunt is the guy to finally KO Big Country (In the UFC)

Looking forward to Benson-Pettis II
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:02 pm

Mryzyz wrote:Don't click on this thread if you don't want spoilers.

Fantastic event. All UFCs should be 7 fights long in future.

Enjoyed seeing Hunt KO Kongo (Although the stoppage was early. Is it just me or has Hearb Dean been not himself lately?)
    Who should he fight next? Bigfoot seems like a logical opponent. Maybe Hunt is the guy to finally KO Big Country (In the UFC)

Looking forward to Benson-Pettis II

I left mine as SPOILER, out of respect to other armbar members, seeing as how this thread was set up pre-event. Not sure why you would wish to disrespect other members of the forum, when there is a very easy method of posting without spoiling others enjoyment.

1972-casual
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

144 thoughts **spoilers**

Post  1972-casual on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:06 pm

Jake Shields is fucking shit and although he was well beaten IMO Frankie Edgar is one tough motherfucker!

Great card overall = enjoyed the Hunt KO (maybe a bit early...) Pettis v Smooth next surely?

Do you think Joe Rogan thought Tim Boetsch's comeback was good??
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:13 pm

I've been saying on here for a while that Boetsch is one tough dude! Dark horse in the MW division.

I think Quinton should retire also.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Really pleased for Hunt! He's did what no man has ever did before - knock out Cheick Kongo. 3 wins in a row now for the big man, would love to see Hunt vs Barry at some stage.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:41 pm

I refuse to believe anyone would click on a thread titled 'the UFC 144 thread' with the latest post hours after the event if they didn't want to see spoilers.

I don't worry about spoiling peoples enjoyment because I think my fellow armbarrers have at least a functional level of intelligence.

I'm not bothered about Mikeyboy or Bulldog
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:54 pm

merged "UFC 144 thoughts" with "UFC 144 thread" because its the same topic.

...and i wanted to see if i could merge threads What a Face
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:45 pm

Dana White : "Again, I'm not a judge and my opinion doesn't matter but I had it even going into that last round and I gave the last round to Frankie. (Four rounds to one for Ben Henderson) is crazy. Most of the judges had (Edgar) losing the last round, I don't know how you have him losing the last round. But I was on Twitter going into the third, fourth and last round asking people how they had it and there were some people who had it just like I had it and there were other people who had it the other way for Henderson. I said, 'Get ready for some controversy, this is going to be a controversial decision.'"

There is no way at all Edgar won that fight.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:55 pm

Mryzyz wrote:I refuse to believe anyone would click on a thread titled 'the UFC 144 thread' with the latest post hours after the event if they didn't want to see spoilers.

I don't worry about spoiling peoples enjoyment because I think my fellow armbarrers have at least a functional level of intelligence.

I'm not bothered about Mikeyboy or Bulldog

Understood, to an extent, just, the amount of times, I've opened the email showing that someone has posted, without looking.......

Not convinced about Boetsch, think he got massively lucky, with Okami almost switching off. Agreed that Rampage should probably call it a day, although the knee injury's obviously been a huge factor, first time Rampage has missed weight?
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:04 pm

It was a borderline beatdown. Edgar just wasn't in the fight.

There is only possible controversy because we have a set of MMA fans who have been raised on the bullshit scoring critera, and have a skewed perception of what winning a fight should entail
    'he got the takedown in the last 30 seconds, yep he won that round'

Perusing the UG today, it's like I've stumbled in to some alternate timeline where I saw a completely different fight this morning.

Everyone else saw the fight where Benson nearly KOed Edgar, nearly subed Edgar, consistently landed more, harder shots whilst turning Edgars face into a lumpen mess? That fight, right?
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:54 pm

Delighted for Henderson, deserving winner. Edgar should stop whinging, he was gifted decisions in his first fight with BJ and his second fight with Maynard. Henderson was fantastic and for me, and the others on the Chatbox last night, was the clear winner. Don't think any of us gave Edgar more than 1 round and it was debatable if he even won a round IMO.

Ramplod needs to retire. He might get cut.

Okami threw the fight away. Fair play to Meanie for picking Boetsch but Okami beat his ass for 2 rounds and then panicked when he got rocked in the third.

Hunt's KO was sweet. Hunt vs Barry sounds good to me. Let's hope Barry wins his next fight.

Pettis' KO was stunning. Delighted to see that Pettis-Hendo 2 could be in the works but I don't doubt that Edgar will get a rematch.

Hioki was really impressive.

Akiyama needs to retire. Shields should fight Fitch in a "Winner and Loser must retire" fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:04 am

Last round was blantantly Ben's round, it ended with Ben taking Frankie down and wailing on him, IIRC.

I dont think Akiyama should retire, he looked better against Sheilds, superb takedowns and takedown defence.

His worst loss was to Leben, in a fight he was dominating until he gassed. His other losses are to Bisping and BELFORT. and he was so close to finishing Bisping, but both those guys had a big size advantage on him.

He could have beaten Shields and could still make waves at 170 lbs.
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 pm

I thought Akiyama won rd 1 and 2. I was floored when i heard 30-27 Shields. Overeem won a whole round just by stuffing takedowns against Werdum despite Werdum landing better strikes.

There is no consistency in judging at all anymore, which i suppose is good so it stop fighters and coaches (Jacskon) assuming certain round are for them and not need to go for finish in later rounds.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:00 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:Last round was blantantly Ben's round, it ended with Ben taking Frankie down and wailing on him, IIRC.

I dont think Akiyama should retire, he looked better against Sheilds, superb takedowns and takedown defence.

His worst loss was to Leben, in a fight he was dominating until he gassed. His other losses are to Bisping and BELFORT. and he was so close to finishing Bisping, but both those guys had a big size advantage on him.

He could have beaten Shields and could still make waves at 170 lbs.

Dana comically tried to claim that Edgar won the fight because he won that last round. The man is a fool.

Fight metric showed Henderson outstruck Edgar in every round - http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/henderson-vs-edgar-official-ufc.html

Out the window goes Edgar's claims that he outstruck Hendo.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Frankie lost, maby 4 rounds to 1. No controversy, even Dana White posted a link to the stats which show Ben didnt reall dominate as such but he won comfortabally. Ben vs Pettis is the only fight that makes sence, Nate vs MIller winner should have to wait their turn.

I was so happy to see Kongo KO'd by Hunt... I think I posted Kongo wins easily with grapling because why would you stand with Hunt... Maby Kongo didnt know who he was! Laughing

For me Hunt is above the Barry/Lavar winner in the pecking order, I dont think Barry or Lavar could have got by the last 3 Hunt beat. I say give him another top 15 guy, upwards and onwards. Carwin/Bigfoot vs Hunt I say.

Okami loosing was great too, He is a reall improved fighter since I used to call him over rated and id back him to win a rematch against Boetch but he will never really be that comfortable with striking IMO.

Speaking of Striking, Akiyama sets a new record and becomes the 1st man to be outstruck by Jake Shields! Laughing WTF was that all about? Why did he just stay on the outside getting peppered? Akiyama could beat Shields in a rematch, That TDD is out of this world but his striking is piss poor, his accuracy was terrible he needs work standing because if he is going to do such a great job keeping it standing he should learn to strike.

Lee looked great beating Kid, im a bit gutted to see him loose agian, I feel he is a lot better than the US fans have seen of him... or maby he is just old now? Regardless Lee is one to watch (at least Gomi won!)

Rampage is one of the big wasted tallents, granted he was injured but when was the last time he looked great? KO'ing Wand? (who no one rates and Leben did just as good) OK so before that? IMO his last great win was Hendo in 2007. A lot has changed since then and Rampage has been in England with his skill dulling and learning nothing new. I reckon with some of the other Lhw stars of the past also fading there are plenty of fights, Shogun rematch? Forrest rematch (If Forrest vs Tito 3 doesnt go ahead) what about Bonnar? T.Silva? Glover? Id like to see him fight again but id prefer it to be against someone who wont just outwrestle him because like I said being in England has seriously dulled his skills especially grappling.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 pm

keeping Hioki as the number 2 Fw seemed the right thing to do after the weekends performance. Bring on Aldo!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:14 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Frankie lost, maby 4 rounds to 1. No controversy, even Dana White posted a link to the stats which show Ben didnt reall dominate as such but he won comfortabally. Ben vs Pettis is the only fight that makes sence, Nate vs MIller winner should have to wait their turn.

I was so happy to see Kongo KO'd by Hunt... I think I posted Kongo wins easily with grapling because why would you stand with Hunt... Maby Kongo didnt know who he was! Laughing

For me Hunt is above the Barry/Lavar winner in the pecking order, I dont think Barry or Lavar could have got by the last 3 Hunt beat. I say give him another top 15 guy, upwards and onwards. Carwin/Bigfoot vs Hunt I say.

Okami loosing was great too, He is a reall improved fighter since I used to call him over rated and id back him to win a rematch against Boetch but he will never really be that comfortable with striking IMO.

Speaking of Striking, Akiyama sets a new record and becomes the 1st man to be outstruck by Jake Shields! Laughing WTF was that all about? Why did he just stay on the outside getting peppered? Akiyama could beat Shields in a rematch, That TDD is out of this world but his striking is piss poor, his accuracy was terrible he needs work standing because if he is going to do such a great job keeping it standing he should learn to strike.

Lee looked great beating Kid, im a bit gutted to see him loose agian, I feel he is a lot better than the US fans have seen of him... or maby he is just old now? Regardless Lee is one to watch (at least Gomi won!)

Rampage is one of the big wasted tallents, granted he was injured but when was the last time he looked great? KO'ing Wand? (who no one rates and Leben did just as good) OK so before that? IMO his last great win was Hendo in 2007. A lot has changed since then and Rampage has been in England with his skill dulling and learning nothing new. I reckon with some of the other Lhw stars of the past also fading there are plenty of fights, Shogun rematch? Forrest rematch (If Forrest vs Tito 3 doesnt go ahead) what about Bonnar? T.Silva? Glover? Id like to see him fight again but id prefer it to be against someone who wont just outwrestle him because like I said being in England has seriously dulled his skills especially grappling.

Competely agree with you on Hunt, I thought that Kongo would try and pin him to the cage, then take him down and grind out a UD, chuffed that he didn't though. Would like to see him against Carwin.

Not sure that I agree with you on Okami though, thought he looked quite comfortable, until losing concentration in the last round. His striking certainly looked better than pre-Silva.

Rampage needs to either retire, or remember how to wrestle. His take downs have been virtually non-existant of late, The only time he really looked like Rampage, was when Bader basically said 'Here's my knee, please slam me'.

I was massively impressed by Hioki...There's been a fair bit said, about it being more difficult, for Japanese fighters to travel to America, than for American fighters doing the reverse journey, wonder whether there's any truth in that?
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:25 pm

I just found out that both Edgar and Henderson are TUF rejects. Quite ironic.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:45 pm

p4pnumber_1 wrote:I just found out that both Edgar and Henderson are TUF rejects. Quite ironic.

TUF is shit these days, they concentrate more on finding guys who are good infront of camera, rather than the actual best guys who audition.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:09 am

Sheldan wrote:
    p4pnumber_1 wrote:I just found out that both Edgar and Henderson are TUF rejects. Quite ironic.

TUF is shit these days, they concentrate more on finding guys who are good infront of camera, rather than the actual best guys who audition.

Agree, it's all about personality now. I've heard they do interviews and have guys talking trash into a camera almost like a wwe promo. It used to be based on skills and record, not now.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:54 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Agree, it's all about personality now. I've heard they do interviews and have guys talking trash into a camera almost like a wwe promo. It used to be based on skills and record, not now.

I wouldnt doubt that at all, you need Green Hair or a crazy Persona to make the show. Ive havnt watched the show from start to finish for years it doesnt interest me... Ill watch the fights and maby sometimes the training sessions but the in house bits and pranks just arent my type of TV, its like Jersey Shore without women!
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:52 pm

Edgar vs Bendo was a brilliant fight. It was close, (I had it 48-47 to Bendo), but it wasn't controversial, nor was it a domination. Frankie had ridden his luck of late with the first rounds in the Maynard fights and it was just a matter of time before it caught up with him. That upkick was brutal, Edgar is one of the toughest S.O.B's in MMA history, phenomenal chin. Didn't think much of him before he beat BJ in Abu Dhabi, but his recent run of five fights have made me a fan for life. Say what you want about his tactics, but the past three fights in particular are three of my favourite fights ever.

Completely agree with Goldie for once, the Showtime kick was the best thing that could have happened to Bendo, really happy for him, but can't help but feel sorry for Pettis. One things for sure, whoever wins out of those two will be a very deserving champ. Exciting times ahead for the LW division.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:58 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

Yeah this is true, and the way it's edited make it alot more reality TV than anything to do with MMA. I used to watch it, but gave up a while ago, i think after the Dos Santos-Lesnar season. It's just boring to be honest, idiots playing pranks on each other in a house to try and get famous.

I'd much prefer it if it was focused on the MMA, and they didn't even live in the same house, it was just a sort of tournament of fights to decide a winner!!

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:05 am