The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Mirko Cro Cop returns to kickboxing, faces Ray Sefo on March 10

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Mirko Cro Cop returns to kickboxing, faces Ray Sefo on March 10

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 pm

It's long been known that Mirko Cro Cop has planned a return to his original sport of kickboxing on March 10. Rumors circulated of potential opponents, with names like Errol Zimmerman and Dzevad Poturak popping up.

Croatian journalist Slobodan Mufic is reporting that Cro Cop will face none other than Ray Sefo on March 10 at the Zagreb Arena in Zagreb, Croatia. An official announcement of the fight will be made on Tuesday at a press conference at the Sheraton Zagreb hotel.

The event is named "K-1 Final Fight" as previously reported and it is being organized by Fight Channel, a TV station in the region. It's set to be pretty big, as the Zagreb Arena is a state of the art facility with a maximum capacity of 24 000 people. Other names like Daniel Ghita have been rumored for the fight card, but nothing is official yet.

It's fitting that Sefo and Cro Cop face eachother. Despite being two of the main fighters in K-1 during their times there, they never fought eachother. Both are obviously well past their prime so the fight and should consider retirement but they're most likely getting paid nicely so this will really just be a test of who has more left in the tank. Cro Cop lost his last three MMA fights by way of knockout and I don't think anyone would like to see himself put in anymore danger than he already is in, but nevertheless, he'll continue on with his career, this time in kickboxing. Ray Sefo's last kickboxing fight was in October of 2010 where he lost to Tyrone Spong at the K-1 Final 16. He's also dabbled into MMA, being a coach at Xtreme Couture and losing by way of submission to Valentijn Overeem in February of 2011.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Mirko Cro Cop returns to kickboxing, faces Ray Sefo on March 10

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:12 am

Do u reckon Mirko couldve made 205? He was only 227 or something in his last fight.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:47 am

payneNglory1 wrote:It's long been known that Mirko Cro Cop has planned a return to his original sport of kickboxing on March 10. Rumors circulated of potential opponents, with names like Errol Zimmerman and Dzevad Poturak popping up.

Croatian journalist Slobodan Mufic is reporting that Cro Cop will face none other than Ray Sefo on March 10 at the Zagreb Arena in Zagreb, Croatia. An official announcement of the fight will be made on Tuesday at a press conference at the Sheraton Zagreb hotel.

The event is named "K-1 Final Fight" as previously reported and it is being organized by Fight Channel, a TV station in the region. It's set to be pretty big, as the Zagreb Arena is a state of the art facility with a maximum capacity of 24 000 people. Other names like Daniel Ghita have been rumored for the fight card, but nothing is official yet.

It's fitting that Sefo and Cro Cop face eachother. Despite being two of the main fighters in K-1 during their times there, they never fought eachother. Both are obviously well past their prime so the fight and should consider retirement but they're most likely getting paid nicely so this will really just be a test of who has more left in the tank. Cro Cop lost his last three MMA fights by way of knockout and I don't think anyone would like to see himself put in anymore danger than he already is in, but nevertheless, he'll continue on with his career, this time in kickboxing. Ray Sefo's last kickboxing fight was in October of 2010 where he lost to Tyrone Spong at the K-1 Final 16. He's also dabbled into MMA, being a coach at Xtreme Couture and losing by way of submission to Valentijn Overeem in February of 2011.

i hope crocop comes ready, this is a big challenge to take after 9 years out of the game...and getting KOd in his recent fights.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:59 pm

Hope Sefo wins, Crocop is retiring after anyway. If Sefo wins I reckon UFC might give him a contract. He is still with SF so he could come over.

p4pnumber_1 people had been saying that for years. He probabally would have demolished the Lhw devision in his prime, he was more or less a better Liddell and I reckon he could have had a career revival at 205 after the Gonzaga fight. I dont know why he never made the cut.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:12 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Hope Sefo wins, Crocop is retiring after anyway. If Sefo wins I reckon UFC might give him a contract. He is still with SF so he could come over.

Why would Sefo beating Cro Cop in a kickboxing bout earn him a contract with the UFC?
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:48 pm

Sheldan wrote:
    rudeboyben84 wrote:Hope Sefo wins, Crocop is retiring after anyway. If Sefo wins I reckon UFC might give him a contract. He is still with SF so he could come over.

Why would Sefo beating Cro Cop in a kickboxing bout earn him a contract with the UFC?

Beating Crocop in Kickboxing would just raise his standing as a fighter in general. Right now with the SF Hw closing and him coming off a bad loss to to V.Overeem he needs every win he can get K-1 or MMA to get himself taken into UFC as opposed to binned by Zuffa when the devision is gone.

Id love to see him in UFC vs Barry or Hunt. Isnt he at Xtreme coutute? He was in Belforts corner for the Rumble fight.
    TrentFromChelsea
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  TrentFromChelsea on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:22 am

Cro cop, please retire fella. You are a can.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 am

TrentFromChelsea wrote:Cro cop, please retire fella. You are a can.

this is called "K1 final fight" fella. you are a cretin.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:41 am

I like Ray Sefo, but i dont think he really has much future in MMA.
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:30 am

manschesthair_utd wrote:I like Ray Sefo, but i dont think he really has much future in MMA.

Not as a fighter but I think he is well regarded as a coach/trainer at Xtreme Couture so he has some sort of future.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:15 pm

No your right mate Sefo isnt going to be anything big in MMA but I dont see why he cant be an entertaining journeyman. Would he beat the likes of Beltran or Hunt who wont have any intention of going for the TD?

I wonder if all the SF heavies are supposed to come to UFC if they are still under contract?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 pm