THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
payneNglory1
Once Mohawked Pete
rudeboyben84
manschesthair_utd
Mryzyz
p4pnumber_1
Cowboys From Hell
Bulldog67
efils_god
Sheldan
14 posters

UFC 142 Results (What an event)

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

UFC 142 Results (What an event) Empty UFC 142 Results (What an event)

Post  Sheldan Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:31 am

What an event, words can't even describe it, so I'll let pictures do it instead.

Jose Aldo def. Chad Mendes via knockout (knee and punches) - Round 1, 4:59

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 1

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 2

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 4

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 5

Vitor Belfort def. Anthony Johnson via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 4:45

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 3

Rousimar Palhares def. Mike Massenzio via submission (heel hook)

Carlo Prater def. Erick Silva via disqualification (illegal punches) - Round 1, 0:29

Edson Barboza def. Terry Etim via knockout (spinning heel kick) - Round 3, 2:02

Thiago Tavares def. Sam Stout via unanimous decision (no scores given)

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 5.1

Gabriel Gonzaga def. Ednaldo Oliveira via submission (rear-naked choke) - Round 1, 3:22

UFC 142 Results (What an event) 11

Yuri Alcantara def. Michihiro Omigawa via unanimous decision (30-27, 29-28, 30-27)

Mike Pyle def. Ricardo Funch via TKO (knees and punches) - Round 1, 1:22

Felipe Arantes def. Antonio Carvalho via unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)

What a way to start 2012, bring on the next event on Friday!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

UFC 142 Results (What an event) Empty Re: UFC 142 Results (What an event)

Post  efils_god Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:39 am

Thanks for the gifs Sheldan, just finished watching the fight online.

What an event! Some incredible KOs there, and i'm so glad Vitor won. Johnson looked absolutely massive, but was gassing near the end of the round. I'm assuling he may be cut after this.

Great KO from Aldo, but he'd already shown that Mendes offered him no threat reallt through that first round. Not sure who can challenge him now! Was insane when he ran into the crowd too!

Good win for Vitor, as i said. Who next for him? Bisping/Maia winner, then title shot?

Predictable win for Palhares, he HAS to get a step up in competition now!!

What the hell happened in the Silva fight? DQ for illegal strikes seems really really harsh to me. Who called that decision??

Really amazing KO by Barboza, in a fight i though beforehand he may lose. Shame for Etim though, he's a good fighter too.

Bulldog67
    Bulldog67
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Bulldog67 Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:19 am

an entertaining set of fights, altho none of them really felt like a battle was going on

great KO on etim, poor sod is going to be on a every highlight reel forever, but was disappointed in him, it looked more like a sparring bout, no real intensity

palhares - he aint normal Shocked
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:29 pm

Good event kinda of reminded me of a Strikeforce event with the amount of mismatches on the Main Card (Mazzenzio, Etim & Prater were all gimme's IMO) I actually think the DQ was understandable (I counted at least 5-6 illegal shots although not deliberate they was illegal shots) but I think a No contest would have been the right decision I think Rogan's post fight comments were totally unprofessional It seemed his inner fan boy was talking rather than common sense Mario didn't deserve the abuse Rogan was spouting.

Michi really is a frustrating fighter to watch as a fan he is way better than his recent performances his ground game has been woeful from an offensive POV of late he keeps going for that inverted armbar he submitted Escovedo with really annoyed with his performance.

Cracking KO by Barboza but Etim should never have been given that fight I love Terry but was the point in giving Barboza a step down in competition I'm not saying fast track Barboza but that fight was pointless for me. Damn Rumble gassed badly in that fight no wonder he lost and I'm glad he did that was embarrassing to watch him miss weight so badly then gas out after a minute.

To use a Kevin Nash phrase here I have to say that I'm glad that "Vanilla Midget" Chad Mendes got KTFO I was praying he didn't win I think a Mendes Title reign would have been Tim Sylvia II in terms remembrance...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Aldo needs to move up there is no one in that division who can touch him he is head & shoulders above everyone else.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:06 pm

Aldo looked back to his best from the WEC days. What a celebration may I add, it was fuckin awesome! Very Happy

Fair play to Belfort, he looked good. You wouldve thought big Dan had money on Belfort with how quick he was standing them up lol. It's sad to see Rumble gone, but hey he has to pay for his mistakes. I knew Dana was going to release him anyway, unless he produced a huge KO.

Palhares is an absolute beast. Genuinely think he beats anyone in the division on any given day. In fact, I think he may be champ one day. Would love to see him fight Chael Sonnen.

Barboza!!! Wow. Incredible KO, one of the best ive ever seen. Especially considering Etim is a pretty tough guy!

That Silva decision was an absoulute disgrace!! That decision needs to be overturned.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:27 pm

Best event all year!!!

I love the crowd at these Brazillian events, it generates a fantastic sense of occasion. Except for the pantomime booing of foreign fighters, which is a bit tiresome.

Palhares is frightening, he is the only man at middleweight that I'd back to beat Chael Sonnen. He be a champ one day.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:35 pm

Mryzyz wrote:Best event all year!!!

I love the crowd at these Brazillian events, it generates a fantastic sense of occasion. Except for the pantomime booing of foreign fighters, which is a bit tiresome.

Palhares is frightening, he is the only man at middleweight that I'd back to beat Chael Sonnen. He be a champ one day.

about the passionate crowd, it goes both ways.
    fighters were having lasers shone in their eyes.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:54 pm

Mryzyz wrote:Best event all year!!!

Great to hear another Palhares fan. Myself and Anfield I remember were saying Palhares is the only man right now we would put as favorite over Sonnen.

I reckon his Ideal fight would be the Bisping vs Maia looser because he will have his way with either of them. Bisping is obvious because the grappling levels and Maia may be a hair better on the round but Palhares is SO much more Physical he will be the one on top and in MMA where punches are in the Mix I think he wouldnt have too much trouble with Maia.
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:58 pm

Agree. I think the biggest threat to Palhares right now is himself.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:05 pm

Barboza KO was crazy, what a prospect. He has to be a contender in a the strongest devision now. Bright future for that Kid. Etim too, he was really holding his own, I think his grappling is better though, I think in the fight had of hit the floor it might have been a different story. Im sure they will meet again one day because I can see both going to the top of the devision in a few years.

The Silva DQ needs overturned. Dana is encouraging him to get it appealed. Its being treated as a win by UFC for now but I wonder if he can get anything better than a NC out of an appeal.

Great to see Gonzaga back, he will be a great gatekeeper at Hw. Shame Lesnar retired because that a fight I always wanted to see. He would make for a very interesting fight with Bigfoot or Nelson I reckon.

Aldo is Quick, Spinning round to deliver that KO was special. Wow. People who didnt see him in WEC might be realising how good he is. Id say he is going to hold his belt longer than any of the other champs. He has smashed so maby Genuined number 1 contenders like they were some undercard fighter filling in on short notice. Incredible KO. Whos next?

Belfort vs Rumble I commented on in the other thread. Needless to say im a happy man Laughing

Will Omigawa get cut? He got beat down bad. What the fuck was I thinking backing him in the predictions. I somehow just expected him to get back on form or something but he isnt a young man and Yuri is a spectacular fighter. Destin for a shot at Gold no doubt.

Great event, cant wait for the next one in Brazil.

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Was an okay night, but was really disappointed with Mendes, expected it to be closer.

That said, Aldo looked really good, but nothing that we didn't know, he has awesome stand-up and excellent leg kicks. He needs someone to push him through to the later rounds.

Etim put up a good show, but Barboza is a beast.

Chuffed to fuck that Vitor put Johnson away, Johnson (as has been said) seems to simply rely on having more bulk than his opponent. Would love to see Vitor against Bisping. Razz

With regards to the DQ, I could understand why Mario DQ'd him, but IMO it was the wrong call, I could count only two illegal blows, and Silva seemed to be doing his best NOT to hit him in the back of the head.

Who next for Barboza? Would love to see him against Diaz, that would be a war.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:23 pm

seemed like a good event,watched it when I got back last night,but was abit too wasted to really appreciate it.
    So I've got to rewatch abit of it before I comment properly.

got to share my good news though,the reason I came home wasted was because i had some celebrating to do.
    13 of us from where I play poker had qualified to play at the state finals of poker.
    310 players,top 31 win a seat in a WSOP tourney.

I qualified and won my seat in a WSOP tournament in Atlantic city in June and so did the wife,plus 3 other players from our bar cheers cheers cheers

Me and the wife both made the final table,but I missed out on the free hotel room that 8th or better won,I came 10th but it didn't matter,the wife finished 7th and got us a free room. cheers cheers cheers

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:42 pm

Congrats mate.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:49 pm

Appreciate it mate.

Ivey,Helmuth,Negrano,watch out,me and the wife are coming for you. Very Happy
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:54 pm

Well done mate! You were missed last night lol, just me sheldan and meanie for a while

By the way, the UFC have announced Silva will be getting his win bonus.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:16 pm

Is your wife having a great poker face a good thing? Smile

Congrats to you and the Mrs, Payne!
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 8:21 pm

Nice one,It made for a good week for us,we just celebrated out ten year wedding anniversary on the 12th of Jan,so this was a great gift.

I just watched the Silva fight back and unlike last night,when i thought,what the fuck is going on,bad reffing from mario,after replays and watching mario warn silva earleir about his punches to the back of the head,and for silva to continue throwing them,i think he made a good call.

it was a call that alot of refs miss usually,but because others don't act on it,doesn't make it a wrong call,there was a few completely Illegal punches throw in the flurry.

If Prater could of continued,then it would of just been a point deduction,but since he couldn't continue,then there's no chioce,it has to be a DQ.

you can also clearly see,that mario stepped in after an illegal shot,where prater puts his hand on the back of his head to defend from anymore.

UFC 142 Results (What an event) Erick%20Silva%20back%20of%20the%20head%20DQ%201

UFC 142 Results (What an event) Erick%20Silva%20back%20of%20the%20head%20DQ%202
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:29 pm

Wallid Ismail :

This referee Mario Yamasaki, he's a clown. He never was somebody and never will be somebody. You have to understand that you are a nobody, Mario Yamasaki, you don't exist.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:41 pm

What clown has wrote that?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:45 am

pinsman wrote:What clown has wrote that?

how dare you!!

UFC 142 Results (What an event) Wallid-ismail

although i do disagree with him
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:58 am

You Disagree Chersty? Thats his fighter who got handed one of the worst decisions in recent memory, Id be the exact same. I think Refs shouldnt be above punishment for such offences. Mario was an Idiot who cost a young fighter an important win through being terrible at his own job... he should be suspended untill he gets his act togeather.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:25 am

no, in fact i agree with Mario's decision 100%.

he intentionally blasted him in the back of the head, mario jumped in...and the guy was done as a direct result of those strikes.
    =DQ
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:48 pm

Bit harsh that Ben I honestly think It was a tough call for Mario to make there was shots to the back of the head of Prater and Mario did warn him although not deliberate in any way they was illegal shots. As for Wallid I'm not surprised at the comments he isn't exactly the sharpest knife in drawer is he. Laughing
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:44 pm

manschesthair_utd wrote:no, in fact i agree with Mario's decision 100%.

he intentionally blasted him in the back of the head, mario jumped in...and the guy was done as a direct result of those strikes.
    =DQ

Mate only about 1 of those was on the back of the head. When Mario warns him he changed from throwing Hammerfists to a more uppercut Angle to avoid the back of the head. I reackon I could find 50 examples of back of the head strikes that finished fights and didnt get handed a DQ.

The Kid actually went out of his way to changed the Angle of his pnches and finished him with Legal strikes.

You could see when Rogan showed him the replay he knew he had done the wrong thing.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:46 pm

there were a lot more than one to the back of the head. there were several.

But Mario was poor here. He verbally warned him during the action, who's to say Silva even heard him as he tried to finish the fight? Mario should have stepped in, deducted an immediate point, given the other guy 5 minutes to recover and if he couldn't then consider a DQ.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:08 am