THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
The_Axe_Emperor
rudeboyben84
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
p4pnumber_1
payneNglory1
topdoorhandle
Ginginho
efils_god
13 posters

Miguel Torres cut from UFC....

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Miguel Torres cut from UFC.... Empty Miguel Torres cut from UFC....

Post  efils_god Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:53 am

Wow didn't see this coming. Miguel Torres has been cut from the UFC opver a twitter post about windowless vans.....

How about some horrific double standards, thinking about what Evans said and what Griffin said which is 100x worse and more explicit i'd say?!

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26455/miguel-torres-released-from-ufc-following-twitter-post.mma?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mmajunkie+%28MMAjunkie.com+Feed%29

A bit of a shame really. Where next for Torres?!
    Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Miguel Torres cut from UFC.... Empty Re: Miguel Torres cut from UFC....

Post  Ginginho Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:35 am

Bullshit from the UFC - not for firing him so much as for playing favourites. All 3 of those comments were about the same level of offensiveness, especially in this PC world, but Torres is scapegoated, just because he is a "lesser" name.

Mind you he'll probably win a few and be back in the UFC in about a year Laughing
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:38 am

Yeah i agree totally. They are trying to send out a message but instead send out a terrible message of double-standards and favouritism.
    topdoorhandle
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  topdoorhandle Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:20 pm

I think this is a joke - I really think they need to get rid of double standards and Dana needs to get off his horse a little.

Now its going "mainstream" with fox etc we need consistency.
    This send out the wrong message i think. Bad decision!

I think the rashad comment was by far the worst of the lot as it was premeditated IMO.
    Torres merely quoted a comedy program so i beleive. Maybe more will come out
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Absolute nonsence from the UFC in taking that drastic a step towards Torres.

A Fine and made to make an apology would of been punishment enough,but losing your job for telling a joke,is crazy,no matter how offensive it was to some.

We've heard and seen war worse things from fighters in the UFC than that,but unfortunately for Torres,his safer game plans he's been taking in his last few fights,seemed to have lost him popularity with the fans and obviuosly the top UFC brass,which is why i believe they would make a drastic move like this,instead of just publicly repremanding the fighter and brushing it under the carpet,like thay have so many times for their more popular fighters.

Welcome to the Armbar topdoorhandle.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Completely agree with all of you guys.

Instead of showing the world that the UFC won't stand for that behaviour, they have shown a clear case of favouritism and they have used Torres as a scapegoat, simply because he isn't as marketable as Evans or Griffin.

This is from MMA Junkie yesterday in relation to what Rashad said:

White scoffed at official action against the fighter.

"What do you want me to do? You want me to have our lawyers draw something up, and I'll come out and read it to you guys?" he said. "[Evans] said something stupid. It's probably one of the dumbest things you can say.

"He gets it, and he knows it was a stupid thing to say. We'll see what happens."

This is a joke!
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Fri Dec 09, 2011 5:44 pm

This from Dana on the subject. What he says makes no sense.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/08/dana-white-discusses-why-he-released-miguel-torres-over-tweet/

So Forrest watching 3 TV channels talking about rape before tweeting 'rape is the new missionary' makes it OK?

But Torres' tweet was 'just a joke' so he is fired?

Anyone who thinks Forrest's tweet was not exactly the same is deluded.

A good article on the topic....:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/12/09/whats-missing-from-ufcs-response-to-miguel-torres-rashad-evan/
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:06 pm

Oh... now I get it, if you were a TUF Winner, you can say whatever you want. Sorry, Miguel, you were never on The Ultimate Fighter. You were busy being a WEC Champ and fighting all the time. Cut all or none!

I usually agree with most things Dana says, but on this occasion he's out of order.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:50 pm

dana white can fuck off.
    stupid decision.

moving on...
    I want to see Torres fight the winner of the DREAM BWGP
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:00 pm

Fucking typical of Dana. Torres made a joke and Dana probably just didn't understand it so he got confused and angry and fired him. Had Torres won TUF he could have said "i'm sorry" and it would have been ok whether he meant it or not.

How Dana can criticize ANYONE for the saying something via twitter or anywhere else for that matter is beyond me. At least twice a day he tells people on twitter to fuck off and he's constantly running his mouth. Remember what he said about that woman from Sherdog? How is what Torres said worse?

If Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta ever want the UFC to surpass boxing, or compete with the NFL, NBA and MLB then Dana has to go.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:49 pm

It sickens me Dana has the power to just cut a fighter of Torres level in a heartbeat. Typical UFC treating the lighter fighters worse. Torres is the best 135er of all time, Forrest isn't half the fighter and Rashads comments were 10x worse. UFCs weakest decision is 135lbs I'm with chesty I want to see Miguel in dream, maby bellator, I'd love UFC to loose the strongest be devision as a result of this. A field is right, now more than ever Dana needs to go. Torres is one of the greatest of all time and if he was a 265lbs muscle man Dana would be swooning over his muscles insted of cutting him. Hope there is a big backlash against Dana the fucking ballbag
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:08 pm

I love how you're all quick to dismiss Dana's role in the good things that happen in the sport, UFC purchasing Strikeforce for example, then shit on him and hold him wholly responsible for the bad things like this.

It is odd that Torres has been cut straight away whilst Rashad (whose comments were alot worse) gets off with a telling off. I don't believe it's a case favouritism though, why would they cut a fighter who as Ben rightfully says is one of the GOAT and is one of the only viable title contenders in an already thin weight class. Torres also just so happens to be probably the second most popular lighter weight fighter after Urjah Faber, so it wouldn't make sense to fire him for nothing.

Dana said in an interview with Ariel Helwani that the difference between Forrest and Rashads incidents and this Torres one is that when he spoke to the former, they accepted they were wrong and apologised, from what he said in that same interview it appears Miguel didn't show remorse. Suppose we'll find out more soon.

One thing I will say though is the backlash from the fans has been huge, a quick look at all the major forums, Dana's twitter, UFC's Facebook, and it's clear Torres' fans are furious. Hopefully ZUFFA will take notice and reinstate Torres, enough commotion has been made.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:50 pm

Nonsense, your not allowed to say anything in this day and age. Completely harmless comment when you compare it to some of the stuff Joe Rogan says on his standup shows.

Sorry but what did Rashad say?
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:53 pm

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Nonsense, your not allowed to say anything in this day and age. Completely harmless comment when you compare it to some of the stuff Joe Rogan says on his standup shows.

Sorry but what did Rashad say?

Joe Rogan is a professional comedian, being controversial is part of his job. There's a huge difference

Rashad told Davis he was gonna 'put hands on him worse than the boys at Penn Sate'. Didn't Davis go to Penn?
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:55 pm

Torres

"I have a lot to be thankful for in my life, I have my beautiful wife and daughter, my family, my health, my gym, and in terms of my career, I succeeded to the biggest stage in the sport of mixed martial arts, the Ultimate Fighting Championship. I am very sorry for upsetting my bosses at the UFC, and also to my fans and everyone else who was upset by the language in my tweets. I understand it was wrong, and I meant no harm or disrespect. Given the chance, I will do whatever it takes to make things right. I am going to learn from this. I think life throws you opportunities that can make you a better person, and so that’s what I’m going to do here. That is how I am going to react. I am going to use this to improve myself, and I hope that my fans will continue to support me."
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:58 pm

So he was apologetic. Wonder if the UFC will reconsider. Hope they do
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:12 pm

I support Dana and the Fertittas on alot of things,and i'll always be the first one to say they have been by far the best thing for this sport ever,But who ever out of them made this stupid decision has got this one completely wrong and need to sort themselves out,as this makes absolutely no sense to me what's so ever.

Hopefully this is just a gut reaction from the stress of tomorrows card,the Fox deal and the recent similar shit from Rashad and Forrest,and they can eventually see sense,change this to a fine and a public slap on the wrist and reinstate him.

Torres's actions or comments in no way shape or form should lose him his job.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:21 pm

Thanks Axe, Rashad's comment is a lot worse. Not sure why there is a double standard.

I realize Rogan is a comedian, but he still represents the UFC. Don't get me wrong he has every right to say what he says but come on. No one should be fired over a twitter comment.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:29 am

As that article says, Rashads are worse, they make reference to actual abuse that happened to kids.

And Torres was as remorseful as the others and said sory.

Where's the difference other than in 'money-making potential'?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:34 am

Never have i been more furious and sickened by Dana and Ufc than now. I dont think Dana is the sole guy responsible for all these big decisions either, i think Ferrtita and other corporate big heads have a huge part to play in all this and are hiding behind Dana.

I am the first guy that would have a problem about rape jokes, and i was far more offended when Forrest said it a last month. Torres joke is still in very bad humour but why the double standards??

Evans should have been sent packing for his joke on thursday (or atleast stripped of his no.1 contender fights with Davis) a mere 12 hrs before Torres said his joke on twitter.

Also i think that press conference was live on Fox??? Atleast the backlash for Rashads comments is starting, and Dana defending his is going to make it worse.

Speaking via his ESPN show, Rome blasted:

“Rashad, you’ve got to be kidding me. What is that, other than totally insensitive and just… dumb? Guys have run regrettable smack before. David Haye saying that his fight with Audley Harrison was going to be ‘as one-sided as gang rape’ immediately comes to mind. But you, my man, might be the new standard bearer. Look, I get that these guys are in hype mode and the blood starts to flow at these pressers. I just don’t care. You can’t say you’re going to do to your opponent what Jerry Sandusky allegedly did to these kids. Not that I haven’t done this 100 times already before but memo to all athletes — there’s certain things you cannot ever talk junk about. Ever. Keep all references to 9/11 and Hitler out of your mouths and, although I never thought I’d have to say it, you can officially add Jerry Sandusky to that list as well. Look, I work in smack for a living. I put food on my family’s table with smack. Smack is the family business, so I know smack and that’s some of the worst smack I’ve ever heard
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:59 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:I love how you're all quick to dismiss Dana's role in the good things that happen in the sport, UFC purchasing Strikeforce for example, then shit on him and hold him wholly responsible for the bad things like this.

It is odd that Torres has been cut straight away whilst Rashad (whose comments were alot worse) gets off with a telling off. I don't believe it's a case favouritism though, why would they cut a fighter who as Ben rightfully says is one of the GOAT and is one of the only viable title contenders in an already thin weight class. Torres also just so happens to be probably the second most popular lighter weight fighter after Urjah Faber, so it wouldn't make sense to fire him for nothing.

Dana said in an interview with Ariel Helwani that the difference between Forrest and Rashads incidents and this Torres one is that when he spoke to the former, they accepted they were wrong and apologised, from what he said in that same interview it appears Miguel didn't show remorse. Suppose we'll find out more soon.

One thing I will say though is the backlash from the fans has been huge, a quick look at all the major forums, Dana's twitter, UFC's Facebook, and it's clear Torres' fans are furious. Hopefully ZUFFA will take notice and reinstate Torres, enough commotion has been made.

ZUFFA bought Strikeforce, not the UFC. ZUFFA is run by LORENZO FERTITTA. Lorenzo is the man who bought Strikeforce.

The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:13 pm

You don't think either Fertitta had a say in Torres' sacking?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:32 pm

Although I think the release is bullshit I can understand the reasoning for picking Torres as a scapegoat someone need reprimanding and unfortunately for Miguel he isn't as marketable or as important as Rashad & Forrest.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:52 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:You don't think either Fertitta had a say in Torres' sacking?

Nope. Wouldn't imagine so. Lorenzo's well known as a huge fan of Torres, Frank doesn't involve himself in the day to day running of the UFC.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Miguel Torres cut from UFC.... 28as1i0

Rolling Eyes

hypocritical on so many levels.

most importantly, its a rape joke. torres was fired because he tweeted a rape joke.

secondly there is the attempt at being a spelling nazi whilst missing several spelling errors and fucking up his own grammar!

LEARN HOW SPELL DUMMY

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am