THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+12
quicksuperlee
SirSquatAlot
payneNglory1
ChelseaQuinsfan
Once Mohawked Pete
Mryzyz
manschesthair_utd
pinsman
Cowboys From Hell
efils_god
Ginginho
Anfields5thKing
16 posters

The Music Thread

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

The Music Thread Empty The Music Thread

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:22 am

After the hijacking of the Boxing thread to talk about music was so rudely interrupted with chatter about boxing...........I thought we should have a music thread so that we could share our musical tastes and perhaps post some good music from the source that is Youtube.

Nobody is to laugh at Axe when he tells you all that Fat Bottom Girls by Queen is his favourite song. And MikeyBoyBisping's love of all things Pete Burns is not to be mocked. If Mryzyz has, I'm sure, a fine collection of audio books read by Fernando Alonso and these are also not to be laughed at.

Anyway, thought I'd start the thread of with a bit of metal from one of the best bands around over the last ten years, Lamb of God. Feel free to punch someone in the face while listening to this.

Would make a fucking great walk-in song.

Ginginho
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

The Music Thread Empty Re: The Music Thread

Post  Ginginho Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:29 am

I like all sorts of music though mainly that of the late 60s guitar gods - Hendrix, Clapton, Santana, Page etc. I used to like metal (think early Metallica and System of a Down) but have mellowed over the years although my brother is warming me to Slayer.

Anyone else like the oldies??

efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:59 am

Nice topic. Remind me how to embed videos, and i'll sticka few up to start with!

I'm mostly into Punk, Rock, Ska, Reggae, but am also into acoustic and a bit of country type stuff as i'm mellowing with age!! Very Happy
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:23 pm

My Music is very varied to say the least one I'll be listening to Pantera's "The Great Southern Trendkill" then East Side Story by Squeeze. I do enjoy anything really from 70's Punk to 80's So Cal (Circle Jerks, D Black Flag, The Germ's & ect) to 80's Alternative (Husker Du, Fugazi, Dag Nasty & so on) 90's So Cal (Rancid, Face To Face, Social Distortion & so on) to obligatory Brit Pop of the 90's for my sins.

Got to say I do have a soft spot for Female fronted Rock bands weather It be L7, The Donna's, Magic Dirt or Sahara Hotnights I can't help It even the likes of Heart, The Go Go's, Blondie & Joan Jett Laughing.

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:14 pm

Well... I'm a fan of all music love every sort of music old and new, rock/metal, dance, indie, ska, punk, dub step, drum and bass the hole lot! But metal is my passion! Slayer, pantera, max cav, deftones, Metallica, Dillinger escape plan... I could go on for ever.

First band I've ever saw live was the dead kennedys - if you are cool you'll know who they are!?!?

My musical hero is Dave grohl ( not foo fighters ) but everything else he done!

I could talk about music all day long to be honest!

Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:47 pm

Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables Is a timeless record, I wish I can say the first band I seen live was a cool, hip & whatever else band but I can't. The first band I seen live was Dodgy in around 95' Laughing .

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:55 pm

I saw them when I was 15 in a shit hole in birmingham, there was 40-50 years old punk rockers pogoing all over the shop and everything... One of my best gigs EVER!!!
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:10 pm

cant stop listening to this bounce
    Mryzyz
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:15 pm

Anyone here like Schubert?

Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:34 pm

A huge fan of all sorts of music. Been collecting music since I was 7, currently have a collection of over 600 albums Vinyl, 1000 CDs and about 7+tb on HD.

Still DJ occasionally. Mostly Punk, Rock, Ska and Hardcore these days. Collections covers, Classical/Rock/HipHop/Dance/Techno/DnB/Dubstep/Jazz/Rockabilly/Psychobilly/Punk/ Garage/Blues.

Currently listening to New Chevelle album (similar to Tool), 5,6,7,8's (japanese garage rock), Mo'Some Tonebender (mental ass Japanese), New Roots Album and new Korn Album.....I have a serious addiction.

Gives you an idea.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:46 pm

Personally I have a pretty varied music taste but my real passion is Metal. I'm a massive thrash fan, German thrash to be precise. The likes of Kreator, Sodom, Destruction would rank among my favorite bands.

Just pure aggression. I went to a music festival in Germany a couple of months ago called Wacken where Sodom and Kreator played. Kreator shows are absolutely terrifying, I feared for my life in the mosh pits, circle pits and walls of death. I also like bands like Testament and Exodus. Slayer's reign in blood album is a classic and I like some old Megadeth and Metallica but I hate there new shit.

I'm also a big Power metal fan. The likes of Blind Guardian, Helloween and Hammerfall are a joy to listen to.

This would be the song I would use as an entrance theme.

Aside from that I also like a couple of death metal, Black metal and folk metal bands, Turisas in particular.

I also really like the classic bands as well. Maiden, Priest, Dio, Ozzy, Motorhead, Saxon. I like hard rock and Punk as well. AC/DC, The Ramones, Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, Bad Religion, The Clash and even Guns n Roses.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:05 am

my musical tastes are all over the place,there are tunes i enjoy from all sorts of genres.

Love the Beatles,my wedding song was John Lennons Imagine,the kinks,the jam,the Who,Bowie,Stones.

Loved myself abit of Ska in the day,loved the Specials,Madness,bad Manners,my kids couldn't stop singing Lip up fatty for what felt like months after they first heard that tune.
    I like abit of northern soul aswell,Motown's cool,love shit loads of 60 and 70 tunes,for me most of the best tunes in so many genres came from that time.

Liked guns and Roses for a while,Motorhead,ACDC,Zeplin,Queen,the Doors,Janis joplin,Genesis,ZZ top,Aerosmith,Blondie,Chilli peppers,sex pistols,UB40,Stone roses,talking Heads,Pulp,Oasis,Blur,shit this could go on for ever,and i've not even scratched on my drug in fueled Raving days,or my young rapper days,from the suger hill gangs,rappers delight through Run DMC,Public enemy,Cypress Hill etc.

I'll find music I like from all sorts,problem with me nowadays is that i hear a tune I like somewhere and never find out who it's by or what it's called.

The most recent great tune I heard was,well the back story to this might have helped me like the tune abit more,me and a few of the lads went to the gold club(local strip club) and this girl memorized us,not only because she was drop dead gorgeous,but shit did that girl have pole skills,if the Cirque du Soleil ever do a naked show,this is the girl they need to sign up,this song was just brilliant for her act,needless to say she earned an absolute fortune off me for the rest of the night.

Buckcherry - crazybitch

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:59 pm

I can get on board with this conversation based on this week alone.

Monday night, Machine Head, Tuesday night, In Flames and Trivium, this coming Friday, Def Leppard supported by Motley Crue and Steel Panther!

I played in bands for years and used to play in thrash metal bands but mellowed a bit and the last band i was in was a bit folk/rock style. Another band i was in even released a single... on I-Tunes but still!

So kinda like most i'm a fan of something i like the sound of but metal or anything with a killer guitar riff is what i'm all about. Great start by Anfield, Lamb of God are the best band i've heard in 10 years and i've seen them play anytime they come near the U.K

Looking forward to Steel Panther on Friday, some lyrical genius!

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:42 pm

MACHINE FUCKING HEADDDDD! Mate awesome band! Saw them support Slipknot years back was insane! nearly broke my leg in the circle pit...

Pete if you like Hardcore you must have heard of Grey Matter? love that band!

Chelsea do you like abit of Doom? or grindcore?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:54 pm

pinsman wrote:MACHINE FUCKING HEADDDDD! Mate awesome band! Saw them support Slipknot years back was insane! nearly broke my leg in the circle pit...

The Geoff Turner, fronted band mate aye? Their early stuff ('Food for thought' days), for some reason didn't like their last offering ('Thog'), but yeah, have you ever heard the band that Mark Haggerty formed with Minor Threat's Jeff Nelson? They were called Ignition, they were only around for a short time (2 albums), but were spot on. Couldn't find their stuff on youtube, but included some Minor Threat, cos they rocked.

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Food for thought is a great album, burn no bridges and i am the walrus (cover) are awesome tracks!

Heard of minor threat their cool! but not the other band...

You like Corrosion of Comformity with Mike D? Love the Hardcore scene great skateboarding music! and its where Grohl started out!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 pm

pinsman wrote:Food for thought is a great album, burn no bridges and i am the walrus (cover) are awesome tracks!

Heard of minor threat their cool! but not the other band...

You like Corrosion of Comformity with Mike D? Love the Hardcore scene great skateboarding music! and its where Grohl started out!

COC and Down are two of my favourite bands mate, Pepper Keenan is one of the best guitarists in the business. Sadly the 7th anniversary of another tomorrow.

SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:36 pm

Sadly the 7th anniversary of another tomorrow.

Yeah man, back to machine head, Asthetics of Hate is one of the best tributes I've ever heard.

Favourite guitar player Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme, the mans a beast!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

SirSquatAlot wrote:Sadly the 7th anniversary of another tomorrow.

Yeah man, back to machine head, Asthetics of Hate is one of the best tributes I've ever heard.

Favourite guitar player Nuno Bettencourt from Extreme, the mans a beast!

I know a lot of folk who'd agree. For me, it's a toss up between Zakk Wylde and Iommi.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:01 pm

7 years seems unbelievable (although I did think It was 8 in the Boxing thread for some reason I think It's 2012) I remember when I heard the news I was stunned switched on the news and couldn't believe It It just seemed surreal I was stunned for the whole day. Crying or Very sad

In terms of Metal Dimebag was the best guitarist probably because he was someone I grew up listening to and admired outside of Metal John Reis is probably my favourite I loved RFTC, Drive Like Jehu, Pichfork, Hot Snakes & Night Marchers.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Zakk wyld is awesome, it kinda depends on your fav style of music for guitarists Hendrix and Clapton were pioneers! I'm more of a drummer though played throughout my childhood and teenage years, Dave Lombardo being my fav metal drummer, grohl being my hero!
    SirSquatAlot
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:29 pm

If you fancy an alternative style of Zakk Wylde try and find his album called 'book of shadows'. All pretty muc h acoustic. There's a song called Sold my Soul on it which is one of my favourite solos. Great album as well!
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:06 am

Zakk Wylde's solo stuff is great. Big fan of book of shadows.

If you're looking for a great metal guitarist it's hard to look beyond Dave Mustaine. The best metal rhythm guitarist of all time for me.

Personally my two favourite guitarists right now are Marc Rizzo and John 5. Their solo albums are incredible. There's very few guitarists right now who are innovative and really pushing the boundaries. They are two of them.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:00 am

pinsman wrote:MACHINE FUCKING HEADDDDD! Mate awesome band! Saw them support Slipknot years back was insane! nearly broke my leg in the circle pit...

Actually Doom is something I have recently began listening to and liking. I've always been a Black Sabbath fan, but I really started getting into it when I heard the bands Candlemass and Pagan Alter. After that I started getting into Stoner metal, Electric Wizard, Kyuss and Acid Kings are just so relaxing to listen to.

As for Grindcore, I love listening to it when I'm pissed off or when I want to get hyped something. Before a rugby match or MMA training. I'm a massive Carcass fan, there music is intense. Pig Destroyer is another band which I just love to listen to, I'm ready to smash someone after listening to them. Napalm death as well, immense live. Normally I'm not a huge fan of the "core" genre's but Grindcore is an exception.

And for anyone who likes listening to Lamb of God, you might want to check out Devil Driver. A similar violent sounding band.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:07 am

As for the guitarist debate, my all time favorite is probably Hendrix but today I'm a huge fan of Wylde. But for me the best guitarist's in metal are probably found in melodic death metal.

Alexi Laiho of Children Bodom is insane. I'm not a massive fan of this band, but boy can this lad play.

This song is incredibly fun to listen to live.

And also the band Wintersun. There guitarist Jari is just insane.

And while I'm not a huge fan of this band, the guitarist from Dragonforce is also fairly impressive (if it hasn't been made faster by technology)

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm