THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+2
manschesthair_utd
payneNglory1
6 posters

Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test.

payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test. Empty Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test.

Post  payneNglory1 Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:10 pm

Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test. Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9HUG7kU0vbUxZdXFQ1qh7Zmn5X2-g4BqgaPokS6JiBFYG2PzyYg

The UFC has suspended Chris Leben for one year due to a failed drug test.

The veteran middleweight tested positive for the prescription painkillers oxycodone and oxymorphone following his UFC 138 main-event loss to Mark Munuz earlier this month.

UFC officials, who oversaw regulation for the overseas event, today announced the suspension.

UFC 138 took place Nov. 5 at LG Arena in Birmingham, England. Munoz vs. Leben was part of a main card that aired via same-day delay on Spike TV. Munoz earned a second-round TKO victory when Leben's corner deemed him unable to continue for the third round.

This is Leben's second suspension following a failed drug test, and it's the second time the UFC was forced to hand down the punishment. Leben also tested positive for the banned steroid Stanozolol following a 2008 loss to Michael Bisping at UFC 89. Like UFC 139, UFC 89 took place in the U.K., where there is no official sanctioning/regulatory body. In such situations, the UFC brings in an outside company to conduct drug testing.

"I would like to make it known that I fully accept this suspension and apologize for embarrassing the UFC, my friends and family, and sport of mixed martial arts," Leben stated. "I'm learning that I'm my own worst enemy sometimes. I can't succeed in the octagon or in life behaving this way. I've got to make some real changes over the next year, and I'm going to focus on getting my life and career back on track. Again, I'm sorry to the UFC and fans that've supported me since my days on 'The Ultimate Fighter.'"

Despite two failed tests, UFC president Dana White made no mention of cutting the fighter from the UFC's roster.

"I like Chris, and I want him to do well, but based on his actions, he's been suspended for one year," White stated. "If he needs professional help, we are going to be there for him. We want to see him succeed not only in the octagon but in his personal life."

Leben (22-8 MMA, 12-7 UFC) first joined the UFC in 2005. He was on a stellar 4-1 run before the recent loss to Munoz (12-2 MMA, 7-2 UFC), who is expected to fight in a No. 1 contender's bout in his next outing.

All other 19 fighters on the UFC 138 card passed their drug tests, according to the UFC.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/26287/ufc-138s-chris-leben-suspended-one-year-following-failed-drug-test-painkillers.mma
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test. Empty Re: Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test.

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:40 am

i bet he fucking hates birmingham now.

2 fights
    2 losses
    2 failed tests
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test. Empty Re: Leban suspended for 1 year following failed drug test.

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:50 pm

Feel bad for Leben, these werent performance enhancing drugs, they were pain killers.

I reckon this whole thing needs re-evaluated. If there are medical treatments to keep athletes im all for them.

Leben clearly has put his body through hell and needed help with the pain, I think a year is crazy. He needs to go to greg jacksons and learn how to beat the tests.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:36 pm

Mate I'm someone that performed at a level where drugs testing takes place, the rules are drilled into you and what you can and can't take... I don't feel sorry for him one little bit, the guy looks like a junkie!

Who ever has been looking after him obv hasn't done a good job and what ever rep leben did have has now gone down the toilet!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:45 pm

pinsman wrote:Mate I'm someone that performed at a level where drugs testing takes place, the rules are drilled into you and what you can and can't take... I don't feel sorry for him one little bit, the guy looks like a junkie!

Who ever has been looking after him obv hasn't done a good job and what ever rep leben did have has now gone down the toilet!

Monson openly takes steriods, half the fighters on UFC are probabally on banned substances. They are just better about Cycling off them and not getting caught.

What annoys me is part of MMA is how to take steriods without getting caught, for me its one of the worst things about the sport (along with who can cut the most weight being a big part of the sport)
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:08 pm

Just another problem with the sport, most other sports do on the spot checks a friend of mine had someone knock the door randomly to test him! Monson mainly fights aboard where there are no rules. Leben is fighting the biggest org in the world and so should know its a little stricter.

Weight cutting is done naturally so I have no problem with it, it can work against a fighter though some times!
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:38 pm

The who drugs in MMA thing really gets my back up just mate. Look at it this way, Monsons fights go on his officiall MMA record. Overeem is 15lbs heavier and clearly bigger in K-1 when he wasnt tested, he said something like of course im on drugs im from holland and just made a joke about roiding.

So abroad its cool to juice? No problem if theres no testing?

But in the US its not that you cant do it, Because Monson has pissed clean time and time again, Its that you have to be smart and beat the tests to gain a chemical advantage.

Its all bollox, MMA should be about who is the most skilled figter, not who can drain their body more and be a bigger guy by rediculous weight cutting that leads to slow sloppy fights or who can pump their body full of all sorts of stuff their opponent cant take and beat Piss tests. That isnt sport for me. I reckon just allow everything that isnt medically harmfull.

Heres my thinking of Drugs in MMA in short.

Nick Diaz kicks the Shit out of Gomi and its a NC because he smoked a bong
    Hendo kicks the shit out of Fedor pumped full of performance enhancing HGH but that cool.

Both of their Doctors wrote them a little note to say its cool for them to use either but the performance enhancing one is cool to take?

Its fucking backwards to me. Leben out of action for a year after taking Pain Killers, I think its backwards.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:54 am

Firstly, Hendo and the majority of guys in MMA that are in their late 30s or older and spent a lot time competing in amateur wrestling are on HGH prescribed by doctors and approved by the commissions.

Secondly, Oxy is not a pain killer Ben. It's HillBilly Heroin. You don't take Oxy for pain, you take it to get completely fucked out of your mind. The painkiller excuse is bullshit. Same as people who take Somas and claim they're for pain.

Like pins I've competed in events and tournaments where you get drug tested and as a member of Olympic and World championships coaching teams I've been involved in getting teams prepared and been fully briefed on the testing laws and guidelines.

It is really easy to cheat the system, but Leben is just an idiot.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:49 am

I see what Ben is saying and I agree with him to a certain extent. There's a double standard in there. I agree with you Anfield about Oxycodone, it's some serious shit. It's basically synthetic Heroin but at the end of the day it's not really performing enhancing is it? Unlike HGH which the likes of Hendo, Hughes, Lesnar and Couture have been taking for years. If Leben is taking Oxycodone, he might be doing it for pain relief or he might just be doing it to get fucked, but he isn't taking it to improve his performance. Don't even get me started on Overroid, we have all seen the pictures and how drastically his size changes. I just can't understand how he can get away with that, while Diaz gets done for smoking weed. Bear in mind that Marijuana takes a while to leave your system, and since Diaz has a license it's completely. That's not even mentioning the fact that it is in no possible way a performance enhancing drug. If you showed up to a fight stoned, I reckon that is a hindrance not an advantage.

Also I have no idea why they don't test abroad. Japan is actually fairly strict on there drug laws, so I'm not sure why they let so called athletes get away with it. It makes MMA look more of a freakshow than a sport. The drug laws in MMA need to be looked at again IMO, I would hate to see the sport go down the route of Baseball, Cycling ect.
    pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:00 pm

As I said Junkie, they should make a stand with him and kick him out all together really... it'll show that they take it seriously... and they don't really need Leben on their roster?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:35 am