The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Cordiero to Shogun "you need to work on your techniques and your cardio"

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Cordiero to Shogun "you need to work on your techniques and your cardio"

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:59 pm

"I didn't see the fight because I was with Wanderlei at the moment of the fight. But what everybody say, "Shogun" needs to work a little bit more on his cardio. I don't know about this fight because he didn't train with us for this fight. What I can say, is that if he wants back to the top he needs to start training. When you have guys inside your gym with responsibility, professional guys in all styles, it's easy to do the work. So sometimes, if you don't have this, it's hard because you are fighter, you are manager, you are coach you are everything. In Shogun's case, he is the boss there. So when he wants to stop the training, he stops and nobody is going to say no to Shogun and say "No Shogun, you need to work a little bit more." In my gym, I don't have fighters, I have students there. My students work and my students learn martial arts, respect and discipline and it makes a difference. Wanderlei, we are old friends, we work 20 years together but he is still my student."

Cordiero also has some words of advice for his former pupil:

"He needs to start training as much as he can. He needs to work hard it's no joke; this sport is a hard sport. He represents not just him, but he represents a great show. UFC is a great show and or you to fight here you need to work hard and you need to work on your techniques and your cardio. He needs to put that in his head if he wants back to the top."

When I heard Shogun was off to Brazil to Train I knew it was a bad sign, I was convinced Hendo would win because he would be in a Lesnar like environment where he was top dog. Turns out thats probabally what was going on in Brazil, Shame to hear. All this talk of secret techniques and tactics were probabally him and Ninja kicking pads in their Folks back garden.

Shogun needs to go back to Kings MMA, If Anderson is dropping by being back with Wanderlei, Anderson and Cordiero cant be a bad thing.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Re: Cordiero to Shogun "you need to work on your techniques and your cardio"

Post  2brutal on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:13 pm

i thouht they were back together

shogun seemed in much better condition than he did against jones his cardio was better than hendo
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:24 pm

He went back to train with Cordiera for the Forrest fight,but for this fight, he went back to Brazil and did his own training camp.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:29 pm

wonder if they had a bust up
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:09 pm

2brutal wrote:i thouht they were back together

shogun seemed in much better condition than he did against jones his cardio was better than hendo

Being in better condition than he was in for the Jones fight doesn't really mean much though considering how badly out of shape he was for the Jones fight.

Having better cardio than Hendo's not an achievement though. If you're a 29 elite level fight and you don't have better cardio than a 41 year elite level fighter with a lot more miles on the clock, you need to hang it up. His cardio was poor against Hendo, it just so happened that Hendo's a 3 and a bit round fighter these days cardio-wise.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:12 pm

fair point i agree
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:23 pm

Shoguns body is deflated, hes a shadow of the fighter that fought Machida first time round, his overall muscle bulk has dramticaly changed... looked really unfit saturday night he couldnt take clean shots at all (I know it was Hendo).

thebadgersbits
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  thebadgersbits on Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:59 pm

Shogun has been pretty crap in the UFC full stop . The first griifin fight he was poor, awfull against coleman and truely woefull against jones. You only have to look at his early fights in his career to see how his timing and general speed /condition has changed.

Maybe he is happy these days to pick up pay checks these days or maybe past injuries hinder him .Either way if he is serious about battering his way to the top again then his regime needs change .
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:40 pm

Maybe he has to be too cautious with his knee to train at maximum intensity.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:46 pm

Mryzyz wrote:Maybe he has to be too cautious with his knee to train at maximum intensity.

I think that's exactly what it is. The knee injuries have also taken away his explosive speed.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:16 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    Mryzyz wrote:Maybe he has to be too cautious with his knee to train at maximum intensity.

I think that's exactly what it is. The knee injuries have also taken away his explosive speed.

agreed!, especially about that part. he is still a great fighter but the way he moves it looks like he is permanently tired..or under water.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:54 am

He lost speed after the first knee injury but was still able to compensate due to his technique, power, toughness and desire.

With two bum news and no speed now, he'll find it tough against the top guys.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:09 pm