The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

MMA Pioneers thread *Under contrruction*

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

MMA Pioneers thread *Under contrruction*

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Anyone up for helping with this one? Im thinking since guys like the Older Gracies arent going to get into the hall of fame for fighters that a Pioneers thread would be a good Idea.

It would be good to see who had a hand in making MMA what it is today.

Let me know if you have thoughts on inductees and a layout of it... Also a name for the thread!

Names I had floating about was Inoki, Masahiko Kimura, Carlos and Helio Gracie etc..

What do you all think? A thread for Pioneers or guys who contributed in a big way to make MMA what it is today.

Cheers lads.
    -------------------------

Heres the names we have so far

Pioneers:
    Gene Labell

From JMMA:
    Masahiko Kimura
    Kiyoshi Tamura
    Antonio Inoki

UFC Creators, bosses:
    Art Davie
    John Milius
    Bob Meyrowitz
    Dana White
    Lorenzo Fertittas
    Frank Fertittas

The Gracie Family :
    Rorian Gracie
    Rickson Gracie
    Carlos Gracie
    Helio Gracie

Refs/Trainers :
    Rafael Cordeiro
    John McCarthy

Last edited by rudeboyben84 on Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:08 pm; edited 3 times in total

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Re: MMA Pioneers thread *Under contrruction*

Post  2brutal on Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:15 pm

rickson gracie sounds like a beast defo kimura
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:58 pm

Jeremy Horn?
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:59 pm

what about the guy that trained and help mold most of the greatest Brazilian champions ever,Mr Chutebox,Master Rafael Cordeiro.

Not a popular one with some I'm sure,but I'd find it hard for someone to deny Dana and the Fertittas a place for being pioneers of the sport,they have done far more and took the sport further than anyone could imagine.

Then there's obviously master Steven Seagal, Wink
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:56 pm

2brutal wrote:rickson gracie sounds like a beast defo kimura

Yep I reckon there are a handfull of the older gracies who should be in, id deffo have Rickson in. I think some fighters are in the right place at the right time (Lesnars title shot) But some people are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Rickson was retired by the time MMA took off and the Gracie family was supposed to have put Royce in the UFC insted of him to showcase their Martial art by a smaller guy winning. Apparently Rickson was a better fighter. Id have him in for sure.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:01 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:what about the guy that trained and help mold most of the greatest Brazilian champions ever,Mr Chutebox,Master Rafael Cordeiro.

Not a popular one with some I'm sure,but I'd find it hard for someone to deny Dana and the Fertittas a place for being pioneers of the sport,they have done far more and took the sport further than anyone could imagine.

Then there's obviously master Steven Seagal, Wink

Cordeiro is a good call, he has been in the game years and still working wonders for figters.

Yeah id say the Fertittas and Dana in for sure, UFC is near a monopoly now so maby great figthers in 1 place they have only made things better for MMA fans, there are a couple of fights big cards on a month over here, Id have them in for bringing me so much MMA on TV! Laughing

Nice one mate good calls.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:24 pm

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Jeremy Horn?

Mate to be honest the way I see it is that its crazy for us not to have him in the hall of fame.

Right now the guy has 3 title belts in 2 weight classes and that should be 4 he beat Leites in the majority of peoples eyes If I remember right.

For what he did in the Mw devision you could rank him in the top 10-15 of all time no bother. 3 wins over Sonnen will probabally put him there alone. You can say Sonnen wasnt the same fighter back then or whatever but he was, Pretty puch beat everyone up boxing and GnP, non stop pace... 3 legendary wins. In about 1998 he was the number 1 Mw in the world for a while.

At Lhw the guy went 1-1 with Liddell, he had 2 cracks at the UFC title and looking back it was to Frank Shammy and Liddell in their primes! Anyway he also KO Forrest Griffin.

At Hw he drew with Dan Severn who was then still at his best and more experienced, He beat Yvel when he was still good. He was still top about 10 in the world when he fought Horn.

He guy has an 88-21-5 record

He has only been KO'd twice in 114 fights

Id have him in the normal Hall of Fame but he is getting in one without a doubt.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:47 pm

This one could be hard to put in,as it's the fight and not the fighters,but the Forrest - Bonner fight is probably the most significant fight to happen in changing the public's perception and creating the modern boom in MMA.
    This is the fight,that many look back on as the fight that launched the UFC to a global audience and the fight that the UFC built their recent success upon.

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:08 am

Big John McCarthy, basically came up with the basis of the modern unified rules.
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho on Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:14 am

How about the guys who actually conceived and started the UFC? Art Davie, John Milius and Rorian Gracie. Bob Meyrowitz was also involved somewhere along the line.

Dana and the Fertittas weren't exactly pioneers but they did popularise the concept further once they took control and pushed it beyond what the previous owners could (mainly through inside deals and knowing people who know people) but should still definitely be featured.

Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:00 pm

What about Kiyoshi Tamura he was one of first names that crossed from Pro Wrestling to "Shoot" wrestling to MMA probably the most important figure in Japanese MMA.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:55 pm

Cheers lads, Only one I wasnt sure of was Paynes suggestion of putting a fight in this thread...

It would be interesting to also do a thread of the figths that changed MMA. Perhaps that fight, the 1st UFC tournament Gracie showed BJJ off, Saku vs Gracie things like that would be cool to have a thread off with the videos embeded. What you think?

Ive added the names to the thread, Ive sorta grouped them for now, I dont know what the final layout will be or if we will even have categories.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:17 pm

I posted this, I dunno if anyone read it

http://thearmbar.forumotion.com/t2469-the-forgotten-golden-age-of-mixed-martial-arts-by-nottheface

Its a real in depth of the history behind MMA, there were Mixed MArtial arts fights going on before 1900, I reckon a lot of those guy and guys who brough new martial arts to different parts of the globe promoting cross training have to be in here too.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:38 pm

I like the "fights that changed MMA" thread,that'd make a good trip down memory lane for everyone and it would be interesting for anyone new to MMA to check it out.

quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee on Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:01 pm

i got one but cant remember his name!!!

hes the japanese bloke who fights on the vale tudo card on the DVD 'choke' with Rickson gracie..this guy has his eyes gouged out by Gerard thingy from UFC1 and it blinds him in one eye..

he carried on with his fighting career with one working eye..

rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:15 pm

I remember that too! He didnt want to complain because he didnt want the sport to be seen as brutal... wasnt that against Yvel outside UFC? Could be wrong...

I like the Idea of a fights that changed MMA thread. I reckon that would be a great one to have historic fights with video links. If someone wants to post a thread and is good at embeding videos Ill make it sticky for you.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:54 pm

quicksuperlee wrote:i got one but cant remember his name!!!

hes the japanese bloke who fights on the vale tudo card on the DVD 'choke' with Rickson gracie..this guy has his eyes gouged out by Gerard thingy from UFC1 and it blinds him in one eye..

he carried on with his fighting career with one working eye..

Your talking about Yuki Nakai,Gerard Gordeau did it to him at a Vale Tudo event in Japan,he still beat Gordeau but lost to Rickson in the final.

I think your thinking of Yvel vs Don Frye back in Pride when Yvel got DQ'd for eye gouging Ben.

quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee on Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:56 pm

its Yuki Nakai!!!!

and it was Gerard Gordeau that gouged him on the Vale Tudo Japan 1995!!!!

god bless wikipedia

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This article's tone or style may not reflect the formal tone used on Wikipedia. Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions. (November 2010)
    Yuki Nakai
    Born August 18, 1970 (1970-08-18) (age 41)
    Hamamasu village, Hokkaidō, Japan
    Nationality Japanese
    Height 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)
    Weight 154 lb (70 kg; 11.0 st)
    Style Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Shooto
    Fighting out of Tokyo, Japan
    Team Paraestra
    Rank black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    black belt in Judo

Mixed martial arts record
    Total 11
    Wins 9
    By submission 7
    By decision 1
    Losses 2
    By submission 1
    By decision 1
    Other information
    Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog
    Yuki Nakai (中井祐樹, Nakai Yūki?) is a retired Japanese shooto practitioner and mixed martial artist, who currently practices and teaches Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and is the current president of the Japan Shooto Association He competed in the Vale Tudo Japan 1995, where he was greatly outweighed by every opponent in the tournament. Despite the weight differences and despite the suffering a severe eye injury in the first bout, Nakai managed to make it to the finals where he lost to Rickson Gracie. Nakai is considered to be a legend of Shooto by many fighters and fans. He is the founder of the Paraestra Shooto gyms and coaches such fighters as PRIDE and DREAM stand out Shinya Aoki, who is also a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Nakai.

Contents [hide]
    1 Early life
    2 Vale Tudo Japan 1995
    3 Mixed martial arts record
    4 References
    5 External links

[edit] Early lifeHe was born August 18 in 1970. After he graduated from Hokkaido Sapporo North high school, he entered Hokkaido University. He belonged to the judo club and won the shichitei judo championship when he was in fourth grade.

[edit] Vale Tudo Japan 1995
    In 1995, as the current Shooto welterweight champion, Nakai was selected by the Shooto Commission to represent Shooto in the Vale Tudo tournament Vale Tudo Japan 1995. His first opponent was Gerard Gordeau, a Dutch Savate fighter. Gordeau illegally eye-gouged Nakai during their fight, causing Nakai to lose vision in his right eye. Despite the eye injury, Nakai proceeded to defeat Gordeau by heel hook in the fourth round. The next fights, on the same night he came out with a bandage on his eye, ready to fight. In his second bout, Nakai defeated American wrestler and WCW performer Craig Pittman, who sported a 100-lb weight advantage, by armbar. In the third and final bout, he lost to the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Rickson Gracie by rear naked choke at 6:22 of the first round

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search
    This article's tone or style may not reflect the formal tone used on Wikipedia. Specific concerns may be found on the talk page. See Wikipedia's guide to writing better articles for suggestions. (November 2010)
    Yuki Nakai
    Born August 18, 1970 (1970-08-18) (age 41)
    Hamamasu village, Hokkaidō, Japan
    Nationality Japanese
    Height 5 ft 7 in (1.70 m)
    Weight 154 lb (70 kg; 11.0 st)
    Style Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Judo, Shooto
    Fighting out of Tokyo, Japan
    Team Paraestra
    Rank black belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
    black belt in Judo

Mixed martial arts record
    Total 11
    Wins 9
    By submission 7
    By decision 1
    Losses 2
    By submission 1
    By decision 1
    Other information
    Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog
    Yuki Nakai (中井祐樹, Nakai Yūki?) is a retired Japanese shooto practitioner and mixed martial artist, who currently practices and teaches Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, and is the current president of the Japan Shooto Association He competed in the Vale Tudo Japan 1995, where he was greatly outweighed by every opponent in the tournament. Despite the weight differences and despite the suffering a severe eye injury in the first bout, Nakai managed to make it to the finals where he lost to Rickson Gracie. Nakai is considered to be a legend of Shooto by many fighters and fans. He is the founder of the Paraestra Shooto gyms and coaches such fighters as PRIDE and DREAM stand out Shinya Aoki, who is also a Black Belt in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu from Nakai.

Contents [hide]
    1 Early life
    2 Vale Tudo Japan 1995
    3 Mixed martial arts record
    4 References
    5 External links

[edit] Early lifeHe was born August 18 in 1970. After he graduated from Hokkaido Sapporo North high school, he entered Hokkaido University. He belonged to the judo club and won the shichitei judo championship when he was in fourth grade.

[edit] Vale Tudo Japan 1995In 1995, as the current Shooto welterweight champion, Nakai was selected by the Shooto Commission to represent Shooto in the Vale Tudo tournament Vale Tudo Japan 1995. His first opponent was Gerard Gordeau, a Dutch Savate fighter. Gordeau illegally eye-gouged Nakai during their fight, causing Nakai to lose vision in his right eye. Despite the eye injury, Nakai proceeded to defeat Gordeau by heel hook in the fourth round. The next fights, on the same night he came out with a bandage on his eye, ready to fight. In his second bout, Nakai defeated American wrestler and WCW performer Craig Pittman, who sported a 100-lb weight advantage, by armbar. In the third and final bout, he lost to the Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu master Rickson Gracie by rear naked choke at 6:22 of the first round.

Yuki Nakai became permanently blind in his right eye due to Gerard Gordeau's illegal tactics. For years he kept his blindness a secret to protect the reputation of mixed martial arts. The injury forced Nakai to retire from mixed martial arts competition, but impressed with Rickson Gracie's technique, he took up Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, where he became the first person from Japan to hold a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and is the president of the Japanese Confederation of Jiu-Jitsu.

Legend
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:00 pm

I just told you that Wink Smile

quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:05 pm

sorry dude!!! didnt see your reply!!!

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:13 pm

Yeah,I know mate,we posted at nearly the same time.

Does Bruce Lee get a place on this list,he was a major catalyst in the creation of MMA and influenced and inspired more people than anyone to get into martial arts.

quicksuperlee
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  quicksuperlee on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:15 pm

hes gota be number 1...surely
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:34 pm

Yeah mate im not a Bruce Lee fan but he diserves in. If you read the link I posted to the article on Bloodyelbow it shows Cross training across different martial arts was going on before Bruce Lee was born but he did help to popularise that way of thinking so Id count him as a big influience.

What do you lads want the layout of this thread to be? any feedback or suggestions?

My friend from work is taking care of the Hall of Fame, he has done some great graphics. I was thinking for this thread if someone wants an entry they should write or copy and paste some txt about that person along with some Pics or something like that and I could copy it on to the main post?

Let me know, any feedback always welcome. cheers lads.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:56 pm

I'm a fan of Bruce Lee,and i think he deserves all the respect in the world,but I usually hate bringing his name up on MMA threads because it tends to bring out his nuthugging,dilusional fans who put him on this mythical pedestool and make rediculas claims about how he would destroy any fighter alive and other far fetched bollox they've bought in to.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:25 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I'm a fan of Bruce Lee,and i think he deserves all the respect in the world,but I usually hate bringing his name up on MMA threads because it tends to bring out his nuthugging,dilusional fans who put him on this mythical pedestool and make rediculas claims about how he would destroy any fighter alive and other far fetched bollox they've bought in to.

Thats the only reason im not a fan, the Bruce Lee could beat Fedor crowd! Laughing

I read a few cracking quotes recently that made me take an interest in him. One was fear not the man who trains a thousand punches one time, fear the man who trains 1 punch a thousand times... or something like that.

Cross training was happen pre 1900 but Bruce Lee is most famous for being a Pioneer of it. Those Bloodyelbow articles are a long read but if the history of MMA interests you they really are a great read.

Anyway im all too happy to put him in because those mixed fights and cross training was short lived, there wasnt much of to going on from the 1st world war till Bruce Lee and Valo Tudo taking off in Brazil... After reading that I though Id love to read a bit about him. IF were letting everyone write about their own entry you can do him, post any vids or pics etc.. if youd want to?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:47 am