The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Ufc 138 the worst card ever ?

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Ufc 138 the worst card ever ?

Post  2brutal on Tue Nov 01, 2011 10:57 pm

Me and superman are going but is it the worst csrd ever the 2 most exciting fights have been canceled recently in paul taylor v njokuani and brown v hathaway, im not fucking happy anyone else going
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Ufc 138 the worst card ever ?

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:26 pm

I totally agree! I have a ticket, but my mate wants to buy it off me, I'm probably going to sell it to be honest.

Though having said that, it could turn out to be a great event. Doubt it very much though.

GSPfan11
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  GSPfan11 on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:40 pm

Certainly the worst card I can remember.

The thing that really bugs me tho is Dana's attitude. He knows we in Britain get shit cards but gets pissed whenever quized on why? He always says don't bitch about the cards till the event and fights have taken place, well Dana fuck you and stop trying to insult are Intelligence. The sport may not be as big in Britain as say USA or brazil but we do know marquee fighters normally headline the events anywhere else in the world.

Why dont they put an event on in Vegas and get leben an Munoz to main event it? Obviously they might do that but only on a versus card or tuf finale.

I'd honestly rather watch lesnar and reem in the main event and reem finish it in 5secs than pay to watch 138.

Twats
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:38 am

I was gonna come on here and defend the card, but after just reading about Njokuani-Taylor fight cancelled, i really cant defend this card at all. If this card was an animal it would be put down!!

BeardBighter
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  BeardBighter on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:42 am

on paper this one could be a snoozer mate. I've said it in the past but cards like this sometimes turn out to be pretty good

TuesdayinLeeds
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  TuesdayinLeeds on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:57 am

wide open for some of these gentleman to show up and show us we were wrong to doubt this being a good card. we'll see how it goes.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:59 am

on paper this one could be a snoozer mate. I've said it in the past but cards like this sometimes turn out to be pretty good

I agree. It could go either way. 2 particularly poor cards on paper were ufc 122 in germany = awful card and Sanchez/Kampmann which was a pretty decent card.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:36 pm

This card seems eerily similar to UFC 122.

Saturdays card looks absolute dire since the 2 cancelled fights.
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm glad the boxing is on at the same time, I'll definitely be watching that instead.

gre660wl
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

Post  gre660wl on Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:13 pm

bobbins card, im goin tho, got persuaded by a mate who fancied goin, thought the last card 120 was poor but lookin back it was well stacked compared to this! Anyone know how many tickets been sold for this?
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:26 pm

I think the fact that UFC didn't even bother making a poster for the card just shows how seriously they are taking the event.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:12 pm

If it's a stinker and people boo on a regular basis it would serve Dana right for trying to pawn weak cards on the English fans.

I hope it's a really exciting card with some good fights and spectacular KOs though. It's expensive going to a UFC event so for the sake of the lads that are going off here, I hope it's a good one.

Thiago Alves' fight will be a war. That I can almost guarantee. Surely it must be the Co-Main Event?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:39 pm

I'm sure the Pickett vs Barao fight is Co-Main event, Anfield.

star wise It is a dire card but there is potential there could end up like 122 or the fantastic 95 Card.
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:03 pm

The argument, that I sometimes hear, that you don't know how exciting the fights will be so you can't call it a shit card yet is false.

You know if the fights are irrelevant. The primary motivating facor that induces people to pay to see fights is that they care what happens.

The UFC cannot be expected to 100% guarantee an entertaining card. But they can be expected to put important fights on it.

The UFC have done a shit job making this card, and even if every fight on it turns out to be a fight of the year candidate, it doesn't change the the fact that the UFC did a shit job making this card.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:43 pm

Every card that comes to england people piss and moan about it. England isnt going to get the cards that the american fans do but fuck it we dont pay PPV prices to watch them on tv. American audiences are raking them in millions and im happy that the UK gets weaker live cards and dont have to fork out hunderds of quid a year to watch it on tv Laughing

Seriously though Alves is fighting a guy who makes Kongo look weedy who has finished 7 out of 8 of his fights.

Cyrille Diabaté is just about as entertaining standing as they come and is fighting a 39 year old punch bag, youll probabally get a good headkick KO or something out of that one.

Terry Etim and Brad Picket are about as entertaining fighers as you can get they have 6 decision wins between their 2 careers! And Pickets fight with Baro is a seriously high profile fight, Its shitting on 135ers to dismiss that fight, the winner will crack a lot of top 10 rankings, you can bet that.

Leben vs Munoz might be shit if Munzo just out wrestles him for 5 rounds but Leben comes to fight and is always exciting and he has been drilling crazy kicks and all! Munoz is pretty good to watch too something but as a relevant fight Munoz is the guy behind Sonnen for a shot or in a number 1 contenders fight and its the 1st 5 round main event.

Cards in the UK might as well be called night cards sometimes but at the end of the day its a card filled with exciting fights and a load of English guys making their way up the ladder im UFC.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 am

Cowboys From Hell wrote:I'm sure the Pickett vs Barao fight is Co-Main event, Anfield.

star wise It is a dire card but there is potential there could end up like 122 or the fantastic 95 Card.

Really?? That's just stupid. Alves is the best fighter on this card by a mile. And has been the highest ranked, prob still is the highest ranked.
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:19 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:Every card that comes to england people piss and moan about it. England isnt going to get the cards that the american fans do but fuck it we dont pay PPV prices to watch them on tv. American audiences are raking them in millions and im happy that the UK gets weaker live cards and dont have to fork out hunderds of quid a year to watch it on tv Laughing

Seriously though Alves is fighting a guy who makes Kongo look weedy who has finished 7 out of 8 of his fights.

Cyrille Diabaté is just about as entertaining standing as they come and is fighting a 39 year old punch bag, youll probabally get a good headkick KO or something out of that one.

Terry Etim and Brad Picket are about as entertaining fighers as you can get they have 6 decision wins between their 2 careers! And Pickets fight with Baro is a seriously high profile fight, Its shitting on 135ers to dismiss that fight, the winner will crack a lot of top 10 rankings, you can bet that.

Leben vs Munoz might be shit if Munzo just out wrestles him for 5 rounds but Leben comes to fight and is always exciting and he has been drilling crazy kicks and all! Munoz is pretty good to watch too something but as a relevant fight Munoz is the guy behind Sonnen for a shot or in a number 1 contenders fight and its the 1st 5 round main event.

Cards in the UK might as well be called night cards sometimes but at the end of the day its a card filled with exciting fights and a load of English guys making their way up the ladder im UFC.

I'm not sure that I agree with you on this Ben. I think that the UK has been short changed by the UFC. Okay, I don't think anyone expects title fights, but, surely they can expect a bit more quality than we've had so far? I really do hope that this turns into an unexpectedly good night of fights, but that's more in hope for the guys going. As Anfield said, it's certainly not a cheap night out, and I think the fans deserve a bit more.

Gutted about the Njokuani/Taylor fight, was really looking forward to that. Just hope that Alves, Etim and Pickett can put in some good performances.
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch on Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

As said me and Brutal will be there making the most of it.

Agree that Alves should be co main event. Can't understand why it isn't. He's fighting granite by the look of Abedi. I'l be trumping Thiago though. At least you can guarantee a fight here as both come to throw. Probably be my FOTN.

As far as the card goes its by far the worst line up iv seen. God knows why Bisping Miller couldn't have headlined. They finished filming TUF ages ago, plenty of time to prepare.
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:03 pm

In defence of the Barao & Pickett fight Pickett is an Englishman and Barao is on an impressive run Since losing his 1st fight he hasn't lost since.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:04 am

But neither are even top 15 whereas Alves has been top 5 and is still top 10.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:22 am

Pickett is top 10 isn't he? I've seen him ranked as high as 8th. Pickett is an entertaining, underrated good fighter IMO. He beat Mighty Mouse and lost a close fight to Jorgenson who is a beast. Brao is on a 27 win streak. I think it should probably just about be the co-main event because the winner will be closer a title shot than the winner of Alves vs Abedi.

On the other hand, Etim vs Faaloloto is on paper one of the worst main card fights I've ever seen put together. Faaloloto is 2-2 and couldn't last a round with Michael Johnson!
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:05 am

Alves misses weight AGAIN......
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:06 pm

efils_god wrote:Alves misses weight AGAIN......

He made it at the second attempt an hour later.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:But neither are even top 15 whereas Alves has been top 5 and is still top 10.

Have to completely disagree with this to be honest. I believe both Barao and Pickett are top 10 in the UFC and Alves is definitely not top 10, he's lost 3 out of his past 4.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:30 pm

Not the worst card ever, some cracking matchups just the obvious lack of starpower. Two potential number one contenders fights, a guaranteed barnburner in Alves vs. Kongo-lite. Personally can't wait.

What time does it start in the UK, Facebook?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:01 am