The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Four nations

Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Four nations

Post  Mannpagejackson on Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:49 pm

I know its off topic especially with this weekends card diaz v penn but with the previous world cup and football threads, just wandered if we had any rugby league fans on here. Im looking forward to a bit of international rugby league, especially now the union has finished. League is my main sporting love and the game i play, and i was positively surprised reading about all of the followers of the world cup on this forum, and how knowledgable (obviously) you guys are on the subject. Just opening up this topic for general league discussion. My bet is an australia england final, australia winning the whole thing, a fitting tribute to lockyer (australian captain and retiring after this tournament, having won everything in the game) and in my eyes, the right result for the best team on thr planet.
    New zeeland will be close, and having qualified last year, wales will want to show themselves to be a force worthy of playing the big boys of international rugby league.
    Also, let this be encouragement to any passive rugby fans, or people who have never seen this code of rugby to go and watch the tournament.
    Australia v new zeeland is tonight. Kick off at 8.
    England v wales tomorrow 2:30 kick off (i think)
    Both games on sky.

Look forward to hear from any people who wann comment or, just people who give it the time of day and what your thoughts are. Manny!

Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Four nations

Post  Sheldan on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 pm

I was at the press conference in Leeds on Monday as part of my sports journalism course at uni if thats any help, Australia will walk it.
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:07 pm

I play abit of league in the off season, enjoy it too! I'm interested to see how Tompkins gets on at international level against an awesome Ozzy side!... also secretly hoping he'll change codes Wink Twisted Evil
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:52 am

Personally always preferred League to Union.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:47 pm

I worry for the England team against the Aussies next week. We weren't quite convincing against the Welsh although Tomkins is pure class. We have a coupe of other world class players like Graham and Roby but we are missing quality in in the halves IMO. Rangi Chase is a good player and has had a fantastic season but he is nowhere near the quality of Benji Marshall or Thurston. Not sure why Sinfield keeps getting picked at stand-off, he doesn't have the creativity and doesn't work with Chase brilliantly either. The Halves have been a problem for years now, and we still haven't found the right duo. I'd like to see either Tomkins or Widdop play at stand-off or possibly McGuire at 6, Tomkins at 7 and Widdop at fullback. Sinfield back to loose forward. I like the look of Reed at centre though, him and Yeaman look like a good partnership.
    Mannpagejackson
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  Mannpagejackson on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:27 am

Widdop is a natural 6 and has played there all year for melbourne. Him and rangi in the halves would be good and sinfield to loose forward. Dont underestimate his leadership, organisation and kicking skills, one of the best in the business, aswell as his flexibility, can move into hooker when required too. My main concern ia impact from the bench. Morley will always add impact but from last weeks starting 17, jjb and wilkin are good players but they are 80 minuete workhorses. If we make the changes i named above, westwood, morley, (i hate to say it but he was playing well) bailey and if mcnamara wants a half back, maguire on the bench. That would add a nice balance to the halves and impact to the bench.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:10 am

I'm a big fan of Widdop, he's a good attacking player and he can kick quite well too. I like you would like to see him at 6, his club position. I don't know why McNamara is choosing between Widdop and Tomkins instead of just playing them both. Him and Chase is a good way to go. I'm not underestimating Sinfield at all, he's one of my favorite players. I'm just not huge on playing him at 6. He should play loose forward IMO or possibly on the bench as cover for Roby. Heighington is a great player. I agree about cover from the bench although I'm not sure I'd go with Bailey. Westwood and Morely are musts for me, and then possibly JJB (I thought he played well) and McGuire.

One position we are definitely strong in is lock. It might be worth trying some of them as centres tbh.

The team I'd go with would be:

1)Tomkins
    2)Briscoe/Cudjoe
    3)Reed
    4)Yeaman
    5)Hall
    6)Widdop
    7)Chase

8)Graham
    9)Roby
    10)Peacock
    11)Ellis