THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+7
2brutal
rudeboyben84
redmeanie77
The_Axe_Emperor
Anfields5thKing
p4pnumber_1
Sheldan
11 posters

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury. - Page 4 Empty Re: GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:36 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I agree Mousasi has the better stand up,but that's obvious,he comes from a boxing,kick boxing background and has been honing his boxing skills for about 10+ years,while Davis has probably 3-4 years training stand up.

The thing is,I believe Davis's main strength is a more successful base to start of with in MMA compared to Mousasi's (I'm not ignoring Mousasi's Judo background either)and i think Davis has better facilities,training and sparring partners in the states to forward his career compared to Mousasi.
    Also Davis is obviously a very talented athelete,which there still isn't really that many of in this sport yet,who seems to be like a sponge when it comes to learning the things he needs to,I mean under Lloyd Irvin tutelage,the guy won a No Gi BJJ world championship after only a short time learning the sport and we saw what he did to Boetsch,a powerful move that many BJJ blackbelts would of been proud of pulling off.

You also have to think that with the skills he already possesses,his stand up doesn't need to all of a sudden become that of a k1 level striker,I mean lil Nog has a solid boxing background,but davis was comfortable enough to stay out of trouble and dictate where he wanted the fight to take place.
    He just needs to be good enough to be comfortable in the stand up,anything more than that would be a great bonus,and I believe his stand up will improve drastically over the next couple of years.

I'd say Mousasi has more work to do on his takedown defense than Davis needs to on his stand up.

As Chael Sonnen would say, winning a No Gi BJJ BLUE BELT world championship is like getting a free toy with your happy meal.

Put any good wrestler, doesn't even have to be a great one, in that setting and they will walk through the competition and barely break sweat. You don't need submission skills to win that, you need control and takedowns and you'll win on points. Especially against a bunch of big slow novice HWs with limited grappling experience.

Wouldn't agree that Davis has better training facilities. Neither Gym he trains at is particularly fantastic in terms of facilities. Red Devil and Golden Glory are much better gyms. And in terms of sparring partners Fedor and Gokhan Saki or Gustaffson and Vera, Hmmmm.......No contest.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury. - Page 4 Empty Re: GSP out of UFC 137 with an injury.

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:04 pm

You obviously have better knowledge than me on the standard of training facilities but i was just basing my opinion on other European fighters say so and the fact that the sport is bigger,there are more participants from the US and there is more money pumped into it from top to bottom.

Alot of European fighters have said that Europe is along way behind the US when it comes to training,the facilities and the overall amount of good level fighters to train with and that's why the majority of the top guys go to the US for there final training camps.
    Also because of the amount of schools,and the amount of top foreign MMA stars that are based in the US,it's easier to travel around or bring in necessary help for their training camps.

I would think it's just a matter of the sport is alot more popular in the US and that in turn,attracts more students,which increases the talent levels.
    There is more money spent on the sport here and that creates better facilities and better pay to attract the top coaches and fighters from around the globe,that's why,basically the only Orgs worth fighting for to be considered fighting the best is in the US.
    The technology and money spent on sport science is also in a different league in US sports.

GG are obviously near the top of the tree when it comes to training strikers,but how many MMA stars are they churning out?

Fedor,when they do train together and the GG boys are obviously good training partners,but I think Davis's training camps and partners are more designed for MMA,like I'll keep banging on about,you can see a massive hole in Mousasi's game and I think that basically comes down to,I don't think he trains with enough good wrestlers,and to get the best training for that,you need to come to the states and train with these wrestlers that have turned to MMA.

I've never got my head around Chael and his slagging of BJJ,they are grapplers just like him,maybe Chael should of tried his hand at some of these BJJ tourneys,instead of slagging off what is his obvious weakness in the sport,maybe he wouldn't of got subbed so many times in his career.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:21 pm

also on Phil Davis's no gi world title win

Phil Davis won 3 matches to claim the Gold Medal. The first match was won by Rear Naked Choke submission in :25 seconds of the 1st Period, the second match was won by Arm Bar submission in 2:00 of the 1st round, and the Gold Medal match was won by a dominating score of 12-0.

I'm not trying to say you are wrong and the field of talent was brilliant,I don't have a clue how good his opponents were,but it looks like he did alot more than just wrestle his way to the title.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:15 am

Yeah but control will get you those positions, and you know yourself, Wrestlers are crazy strong and can ragdoll people. Davis did look good winning the tournament in the fashion that he did, but winning it was easy.

GG is probably the second best gym in Europe in terms of facilities. He's really got everything you could dream of. Fedor's, I mean the Red Devil's Gym(that Fedor paid for and allows other to use) is probably the best kitted out gym in the world of combat sports other than Mayweather's private gym but that's Boxing only. Lloyd Irvin's place, if it's still the same one it was 18 months ago is fairly basic and just has the necessities. The Alliance MMA boys have a fairly mixed bag apparently. Some top notch stuff, some that they seem to have picked up at clearance sales.

Mousasi literally has one weakness. TDD. I won't argue on that. It's hard to get good wrestlers in Europe to train with for MMA but Mousasi, from what I read in a couple of places, has been working out with Olympic wrestlers for the last while.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Yeah but control will get you those positions, and you know yourself, Wrestlers are crazy strong and can ragdoll people. Davis did look good winning the tournament in the fashion that he did, but winning it was easy.

GG is probably the second best gym in Europe in terms of facilities. He's really got everything you could dream of. Fedor's, I mean the Red Devil's Gym(that Fedor paid for and allows other to use) is probably the best kitted out gym in the world of combat sports other than Mayweather's private gym but that's Boxing only. Lloyd Irvin's place, if it's still the same one it was 18 months ago is fairly basic and just has the necessities. The Alliance MMA boys have a fairly mixed bag apparently. Some top notch stuff, some that they seem to have picked up at clearance sales.

Mousasi literally has one weakness. TDD. I won't argue on that. It's hard to get good wrestlers in Europe to train with for MMA but Mousasi, from what I read in a couple of places, has been working out with Olympic wrestlers for the last while.

If Mousasi could get a good TDD he would be a title challenger in UFC, Mousasi vs someone who will bang with him would be great, Rampage or Lil Nog would be 2 fights id love to see. Lets hope he gets signed soon...

He is going to need a good TDD or OSP will be GSP'ing the life out of him come December.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:58 am