The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

UFC 136 - Potentially the Greatest UFC Card of All Time?

Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

UFC 136 - Potentially the Greatest UFC Card of All Time?

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:08 pm

This card really is loaded from top to bottom.

Steve Cantwell and Mike Massenzio aren't particularly great fighters, but they're both fun to watch and it should be a good fight.

Aaron Simpson and Red Schafer is a good match-up between two guys who finish fights. Wrestler/Boxer vs Bjj Guy. Simpson's power vs Schafer's finesse. Should be a good technical match-up.

Zhang vs Elkins should be a decent scrap. Both are tough guys. Zhang has great submission, so Elkin's might have to stay away from his own strength of wrestling. Should be interesting.

Is there anyway Beltran vs Miocic doesn't end in a KO?? Huge step up in competition for Miocic, it'll be interesting to see how he copes. Beltran has a great chin and a lot of power. Miocic has the talent to eventually become a top contender in the UFC. Fantastic wrestling and great boxing. He's also got vicious leg kicks which I think we'll see him use tonight. Should be a war.

That might be one of the best under-cards I've seen for a UFC event.

The Spike fights are both worthy of being on any PPV.

Showtime Pettis vs Jeremy Stephens is going to be fight of the night I reckon. These two are among the most exciting fighters in all of MMA and this fight could be a classic. Showtime has more flashy moves than Jon Jones and is very active off his back when put there. Jeremy Stephens has arguably the most powerful hands in the division with the possible exception of Melvin Guillard.

Damien Maia vs Jorge Santiago. It's the classic grappler vs striker match-up. Maia wants this on the floor, Santiago wants to keep it on his feet. Neither are a slouch at the other's chosen preference but they certainly will want to play their own game.

Those should be two great fights.

The main card is just disgustingly loaded!

Melvin Guillard vs Joe Lauzon is a great fight. Melvin Guillard knocks people out, and Joe Lauzon makes people tap out. It's very clear where both want the fight to take place and the outcome will likely depend on who gets their way in terms of standing or rolling.

Leonard Garcia vs Nam Phan. The only way Pettis vs Stephens doesn't win fight of the night is if this one does. This will be a war. There's no two ways about it. Leonard Garcia has never been in a dull fight and Nam Phan is no slouch either. This is a rematch of their controversial fight at the TUF 12 Finale were Garcia won a disputed decision and that fight won FOTN honours. Should be a fucking war.

Chael Sonnen vs Brian Stann could headline a pay-per-view and would be at least a co-main event on any other card. Sonnen's making his return from suspension and legal issues, and hasn't been seen in the ring since giving Anderson Silva the only ass kicking he's ever really had. Stann is in the form of his life and will come in full of confidence. Sonnen's wrestling vs Stann's power. This will be a war. Both of these guys love a good fight.

Jose Aldo vs Kenny Florian for the Featherweight Title is the co-main event. That just shows how stacked this card is. Aldo is one of the greatest fighters in the world. He's the most exciting fighter, and the most talented fighter, in the UFC. Florian is veteran who's fighting in his 4th weight class and looking to finally win that UFC title which has always been just outside of his grasp at other weight classes. No way this fight isn't exciting.

Frankie Edgar vs Gray Maynard for the Lightweight Title is the main event. This is the third fight between the two. Maynard easily won the first. The second was a hugely controversial draw which highlighted just how poor scoring in MMA is. Maynard is bigger, stronger, a better wrestler and has better boxing. Edgar is quicker, has a ton of heart and mixes his kicks in well with his punches, although neither carry much power. Edgar will be looking to win this on points, as is his fighting style at this weightclass which is unquestionably 10 pounds heavier than his natural weight. Maynard will want to finish this fight as he feels he was robbed the last time. This one will be another great fight.

I know I said Pettis vs Stephens, or Garcia vs Phan would be FOTN. Thinking about it, there are four fights on this card that have the potential to be fight of the year contenders. It really is a fantastic card.

I'm picking Cantwell, Simpson, Zhang, Miocic, Pettis, Maia, Guillard, Phan, Sonnen, Aldo and Maynard. For those of you in the predictions league, it's advisable to pick the opposite of what I have.

Oh, and I assume we'll have a good crowd on the chatbox for this one?

payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: UFC 136 - Potentially the Greatest UFC Card of All Time?

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:38 pm

completely agree,this card is stacked from top to bottom,can't wait.

I wont be watching any of it live though,so no chat box for me,I'm proper pissed off,my mates decided to have his stag do tonight,well if you can call it a stag do.

he's made a promise to his future bride,absolutely no strippers,so we won't be finishing the night at the strip club Mad
    Just a few beers with the lads at Hooters,whoppidy fucking dooo,what a stag do.

Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:09 pm

It should be a great card, as for the best card of all time, I think it doesn't quite match up to the likes of UFC 92, UFC 100, UFC 129 etc, but it still is a stacked card, just a shame that UFC insists on stacking their USA cards, then giving us absolute shit cards in the UK. The fact that you have BJ VS Diaz co-main eventing a card a week before UFC 138, then Guida VS Henderson not even currently set to be shown on TV a week after UFC 138, and both of those fights in my opinion are more worthy of main event status then Leben VS Munoz.

Anyway, less about that, i'll be on the chatbox tonight and i've got 150 quid riding on Pettis, Guillard, Sonnen and Aldo getting wins, so for anybody who's on there, feel free to congratulate me/laugh at me when I win/lose.
    SirSquatAlot
    Bantamweight
    Bantamweight

Post  SirSquatAlot on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:13 pm

I'm stoked for this event and thinking about going to sleep now so it starts sooner!

Got a feeling the Sonnen, Stann might be a FOTN contender. We've spent the last how many months listening to him claim to be the best (which i don't really dispute) so there's no way he'll give anything other than 100% and Stann feels like he's the underdog wanting to prove a point. Looking forward to that fight.... and all the others!

Cheers for the preview of all the fights and the warning about your predictions Very Happy
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:30 pm

Did you right the description to this Anfield? Because I was expecting you to say something like it's going to be extremely entertaining to see Maynard kick the living shit through Edgar or something like that.

Ye on paper it looks like an excellent card, although sometimes these cards fail to live up the hype. I don't think it's the best card in terms of quality like UFC 92 or UFC 100 but in terms of excitement it's right up there.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:53 pm

I was trying to stay unbiased. Maynard is going to beat the life out of Frankie, finally take the belt he won in their last fight and Frankie will go down to 145 where Aldo will kill him.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:54 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:completely agree,this card is stacked from top to bottom,can't wait.

I wont be watching any of it live though,so no chat box for me,I'm proper pissed off,my mates decided to have his stag do tonight,well if you can call it a stag do.

he's made a promise to his future bride,absolutely no strippers,so we won't be finishing the night at the strip club Mad

What sort of a mate is that?? You should suggest a few beers around a TV with the fight on. Fuck hooters.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:57 pm

Sheldan wrote:It should be a great card, as for the best card of all time, I think it doesn't quite match up to the likes of UFC 92, UFC 100, UFC 129 etc, but it still is a stacked card, just a shame that UFC insists on stacking their USA cards, then giving us absolute shit cards in the UK. The fact that you have BJ VS Diaz co-main eventing a card a week before UFC 138, then Guida VS Henderson not even currently set to be shown on TV a week after UFC 138, and both of those fights in my opinion are more worthy of main event status then Leben VS Munoz.

Anyway, less about that, i'll be on the chatbox tonight and i've got 150 quid riding on Pettis, Guillard, Sonnen and Aldo getting wins, so for anybody who's on there, feel free to congratulate me/laugh at me when I win/lose.

UFC 92 was a really strong card but there were a couple of disappointing fights on it and the main card wasn't as strong as this IMO.

UFC 100 had a lot of boring fights.

129 wasn't as loaded as this for me. The main card yes, but the Spike card compared to this? and the main event was horrendously boring.

Agree that 138 is a joke. Completely. Bendo vs Guida would have been perfect for that card.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Its up there its the 1 ivebeen looking foward to the most

Ufc 138 is awsome im going lol fights sud beexciting at least the main card

Roll ontonight
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:52 pm

I think it will turn out to be an exciting card, there's some good fights on their but in terms of the people fighting, it's not worthy of being a full card. It's a fight night or a versus card. They should have had it on Versus and done the Cruz card in the UK as 138.
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    payneNglory1 wrote:completely agree,this card is stacked from top to bottom,can't wait.

What sort of a mate is that?? You should suggest a few beers around a TV with the fight on. Fuck hooters.

He's a newly bitch whipped fool,who's cock has been ruling his brain since he got with her.
    she's a pet without a doubt but I predict he's in for a world of misery within a year of marriage,once the honeymoon periods over.
    But shit,he's a good friend and I've got to be there for him,no matter how me and the rest of the lads really feel about it.

I already suggested we have a cook out,grab a keg or two and watch the fight instead,it fell on deaf ears Rolling Eyes

hopefully there's a bar near hooters who are showing the fight,then I can get him fucked up,let him pass out and drop him off at the nearest hotel,then go back,watch the fights and finish up at the strip club anyway,and see him at the hotel in the morning,explaining what a great stag do it was cheers
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:19 pm

2brutal wrote:Its up there its the 1 ivebeen looking foward to the most

Ufc 138 is awsome im going lol fights sud beexciting at least the main card

Roll ontonight

That's the thing though, I'm tired of this "they will be exciting fights" nonsense that Dana goes on about. I could go watch a scrap between two lads at the park and see an exciting fight, it's the name value, for the prices of tickets they charge, I expect to see a card with big names on it, not just a load of fringe fighters and then be told that the fights will be exciting.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:37 pm

Shit Anfield I'm impressed at the lack os bias in that! I feel like a proud parent reading that Smile

Should be a great night of fights (especially Garcia- Phan), however if it's a boring night of action then you should lay low for a while mate Wink

What is ZUFFA's actual game plan for the UK? Do they think MMA is already mainstream in the UK or something? I honestly don't see why we keep getting terrible cards. Something to do with the UK fights being aired free in the States isn't it? God knows
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:03 pm

Ive been busy all day today but i have just been thinking about tonights UFC since i got up today. Definetly on for chat box. What time do facebook prelims start??

Oh and Payne, what the hell is wrong with u?? I wouldnt pass up tonight even if Arriany was the stripper!!! And theres no strippers u say?!!?
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 9:16 pm

Fuck that,I'd record it and watch Arriany shake her shit first.

I'm not completely giving it up,I've set it to record on my TIVO,so I'll just watch it tomorrow.

I'll miss the facebook pre lims though Mad
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:17 pm

IT's going to be an epic card!
    anyone know what time the prelims start? And a decent stream for later....?
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:22 pm

You guys are so lucky, you get me on the chatbox for two UFCs in a row.
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:38 pm

I couldn't believe anfield wrote this. It's unbiased and I was waiting for the anfield rant to kick in. Best card of all time? It certainly has potential to be one whether it is or not has to be seen. I'm out on the razz at the minute but I'l post my fave card later. Best card ever deserves to be an article.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:43 pm

efils_god wrote:IT's going to be an epic card!
    anyone know what time the prelims start? And a decent stream for later....?

The prelims start in half an hour, at 10 past 11 (I think lol).

Somebody on here should have a stream for you later in the chatbox or something.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 pm

cheers man
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:27 am

Streams on here Efils - http://www.firstrowsports.tv/sport/boxing-wwe-ufc.html

Spike prelims being streamed from 1am.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:16 am