THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+9
poz
Once Mohawked Pete
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
Cowboys From Hell
Anfields5thKing
redmeanie77
2brutal
manschesthair_utd
13 posters

SF spoilers

Poll

early stoppage?

[ 4 ]
    SF spoilers - Page 2 I_vote_lcap36%SF spoilers - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [36%] 
    [ 7 ]
    SF spoilers - Page 2 I_vote_lcap64%SF spoilers - Page 2 I_vote_rcap [64%] 

Total Votes: 11
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

SF spoilers - Page 2 Empty Re: SF spoilers

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:36 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with that stoppage,he got caught,he went limp and then Hendo finished the job with a few big shots.
    We've all seen some bad stoppages,but for me this wasn't one and if it wasn't for he fact it was fedor,i don't think half as many people would have a problem with it.

Good,exciting rd from both fighters though,I thought Fedor was just about to finish Hendo when he turtled him up,then as Fedor trys to pounce for the finish,Hendo slips around the back and clips him with that uppercut.
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:54 pm

Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

SF spoilers - Page 2 10_Fedor_Henderson_15

Not too sure what that picture's meant to convey, Fedor appears to be focusing on Herb Dean, which is understandable, as I've said, I'm not trying to suggest that Fedor would not have been beat by Hendo, but simply that, as a major figure in MMA for many years, he should have been given a little more time before being stopped. Although I do think that, if Herb had of held of only a second or two, he would not have jumped in. I think that Fedor turning into Hendo, threw him.

Is there another Herb dean in the cage? Because he is most certainly not foccusing on the ref.

Agree Payne, Only Fedor can get hit with a punch like that from that angle, goes limp and faceplant into mat with both arms by his side and fans claim foul play over the decision to stop the fight.

Herb Dean saved Fedor, just look at the pic, imagine if fight was left to continue. Evil or Very Mad
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:03 pm

redmeanie77 wrote:
    Once Mohawked Pete wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

SF spoilers - Page 2 10_Fedor_Henderson_15

Not too sure what that picture's meant to convey, Fedor appears to be focusing on Herb Dean, which is understandable, as I've said, I'm not trying to suggest that Fedor would not have been beat by Hendo, but simply that, as a major figure in MMA for many years, he should have been given a little more time before being stopped. Although I do think that, if Herb had of held of only a second or two, he would not have jumped in. I think that Fedor turning into Hendo, threw him.

Is there another Herb dean in the cage? Because he is most certainly not foccusing on the ref.

Agree Payne, Only Fedor can get hit with a punch like that from that angle, goes limp and faceplant into mat with both arms by his side and fans claim foul play over the decision to stop the fight.

Herb Dean saved Fedor, just look at the pic, imagine if fight was left to continue. Evil or Very Mad

Hold the fucking bus dude. If you've read any of my posts, I've never once suggested 'foul play', simply that I feel it was a little early to stop the fight. When was the last time you saw someone take a 'faceplant' to the canvas, go limp and then turn into his oponnent, in an obvious attempt to gain guard? I've also said, that considering the angle that Herb came in from, I could understand why he stopped it so early. Herb had already made his decision, before Fedor turned. I think that if Herb had of seen this before he started moving in between the two, he wouldn't have stopped it there and then.......I don't consider it a mistake on the refs part, but I think he could have given Fedor a little time to recover, it's all a game of opinions though......Isn't it?
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:18 pm

guys he is getting punched in that photo ...plus photos like that dont mean a single thing.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:48 pm

SF spoilers - Page 2 5

it looks more like Herb actually turned fedor when he pushed Hendo off him,more than Fedor actually turning himself.
    poz
    poz
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  poz Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:04 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:SF spoilers - Page 2 5

it looks more like Herb actually turned fedor when he pushed Hendo off him,more than Fedor actually turning himself.

No Payne, that ain't the case. Could you turn a 220lb guy like that, even using Hendo as a lever? I aint picking fault but that don't add up, as meanies picture doesn't.
    That said, well done Dan. Stop now Fedor (and I'll ignore his last 3 fights) and he is the greatest!
    That said, has he ever looked comfortable in a cage?
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:31 pm

No mate. Don't see that at all. Look at Fedors leg, he pushes of it to lever himself round. As I said, there's no conspiracy theories, just a difference of opinion.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:00 pm

I can see what your saying and can see why opinions differ on this,if it was straight forward one way or the other there wouldn't be so much debate about it.When it first happened in real time I wasn't completely sure,but after watching replays,I'm convinced it was a justified stoppage.

Herb definitely steps in to stop the fight after Fedor went limp and took two more bombs,so it was being stopped before Fedor got to his back anyway and not after like alot of people are claiming.

I was abit gutted as I was enjoying it and wanted to see more,so I think alot of people first reaction was,fuck don't stop it I want to see what will happen,but if you go out,be it a split second or longer and the ref sees it,it's a justified reason for a ref to call the fight and stop the fighter from taking anymore damage.

Like it's been said,Fedor might of recovered and fought through it,but on the other hand,he wasn't exactly defending himself properly when he got to his back by flailing his arms in the air,so i think it would probably been more likely that he would of taken aload more (maybe unnecessary) punishment and had his lights turned out twice within a few seconds.

pinsman
    pinsman
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  pinsman Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:02 pm

The fact that Hendo dropped two bombs into the back of Fedors skull should have caused Dean to stop the fight and give Hendo a penelty! Shocking Shocking stoppage... Fedor should have been given time to recover after getting judased!

One thing proved here is Hendo has crazy power though, that was a beautiful upper cut to drop Fedor! Would love him to connect that on bones' jaw to shut up all his nut huggers!
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Once Mohawked Pete
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Once Mohawked Pete Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:09 pm

payneNglory1 wrote:I can see what your saying and can see why opinions differ on this,if it was straight forward one way or the other there wouldn't be so much debate about it.When it first happened in real time I wasn't completely sure,but after watching replays,I'm convinced it was a justified stoppage.

Herb definitely steps in to stop the fight after Fedor went limp and took two more bombs,so it was being stopped before Fedor got to his back anyway and not after like alot of people are claiming.

I was abit gutted as I was enjoying it and wanted to see more,so I think alot of people first reaction was,fuck don't stop it I want to see what will happen,but if you go out,be it a split second or longer and the ref sees it,it's a justified reason for a ref to call the fight and stop the fighter from taking anymore damage.

Like it's been said,Fedor might of recovered and fought through it,but on the other hand,he wasn't exactly defending himself properly when he got to his back by flailing his arms in the air,so i think it would probably been more likely that he would of taken aload more (maybe unnecessary) punishment and had his lights turned out twice within a few seconds.

Of course mate, you're definitely right. As I said, I just thought that being the fighter he is, and having been in the situations he has, he could have been granted a little more time. Herb had decided to stop it when Fedor was on his face, as he moved in to do so, Fedor had turned, which is why I said, if Herb had of moved in a second or two later, he may not have stopped it there and then, that said, Fedor fought a ridiculous fight anyway. He should play to HIS strengths and not the oponents.

With regards to Hendos power. He's always going to be capable of KTFO of most fighters, I don't think that Jones would play the stand up and trade game though. Fedor has been his own worst enemy in his last few fights.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:10 pm

Sheldan not sure what you have seen in hendo. To think he only has a year left ?
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:50 pm

He's 40, Hendo doesn't strike me as a guy who wants to be pulling a Randy Couture and fighting until he's in his late 40's, he has said in the past that he's not as motivated as he use to be, and he's just beaten Fedor, he has nothing left to achieve, I see him defending the title a few times then hanging up the gloves, or even hanging them up if he loses again.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:06 pm

Hendo wants Anderson again, but at 205 rather than 185 because his days of weight cutting are over. He also wants Rampage again although he's not interested in the belt so he sees that fight more likely if Page loses to Bones. And he wants a rubber match with Wanderlei although he doesn't think that's a fight he'll get because he thinks Wandi is done. Again, he would want that at 205. He told me himself that those are the fights he wants but that he's willing to fight Mousasi and Mo if Zuffa prefer for him to stay in Strikeforce but I think we will see him go to the UFC.

I'm not sure what replays you all saw after the fight, but I was there and when Dean stopped the fight and Fedor tried to stand up it was very clear that it was a good stoppage. His legs were gone, and he had to be placed on a stool. He hadn't been defending himself and Henderson would have caused serious damage to Fedor if Dean hadn't stopped it. He was out after the first punch and the follow ups. He may have snapped out of it but his arms were like jelly and he was in no way capable of defending himself.

Henderson proved he's an all-time great and belongs amongst the elite with Fedor and Anderson, people need to give up the "bad stoppage" bullshit and accept what happened, one of the all time greats beat the greatest fighter that ever lived and probably retired him. Simple as. Also, Hendo is one of the nicest, most genuine guys you'll ever meet so I was delighted he won even though I initially picked Fedor(Hendo was NOT impressed when I told him I thought Fedor was going to armbar him! but we had a great laugh about it and he introduced me to a few people as "the guy that bet against me"!)

By the way, the rest of the card was pretty good. Coenan vs Tate was enjoyable(sidenote: Tate's afterparty was mixed in with Hendo's because Hendo invited her, her team and her fans to it, she's a really nice girl and pretty hot!). Woodley vs Daley was better than expected because Daley managed to stuff far more takedowns than people thought he would. Lawlor vs Kennedy was a good fight, Kennedy is one tough bastard. Saffiedene vs Smith wasn't a bad fight and the undercard was enjoyable. Always fun to see JZ fight although Saturday was not one of his better outings he was happy with the win when I chatted with him afterwards.
    payneNglory1
    payneNglory1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  payneNglory1 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:29 pm

sounds like you had a great time mate,Dan must of been buzzing after that win.

I haven't seen the JZ fight but i heard that Green tapped out but Dean missed it,did you see him tap from the crowd?
    redmeanie77
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:57 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:Hendo wants Anderson again, but at 205 rather than 185 because his days of weight cutting are over. He also wants Rampage again although he's not interested in the belt so he sees that fight more likely if Page loses to Bones. And he wants a rubber match with Wanderlei although he doesn't think that's a fight he'll get because he thinks Wandi is done. Again, he would want that at 205. He told me himself that those are the fights he wants but that he's willing to fight Mousasi and Mo if Zuffa prefer for him to stay in Strikeforce but I think we will see him go to the UFC.

I'm not sure what replays you all saw after the fight, but I was there and when Dean stopped the fight and Fedor tried to stand up it was very clear that it was a good stoppage. His legs were gone, and he had to be placed on a stool. He hadn't been defending himself and Henderson would have caused serious damage to Fedor if Dean hadn't stopped it. He was out after the first punch and the follow ups. He may have snapped out of it but his arms were like jelly and he was in no way capable of defending himself.

Henderson proved he's an all-time great and belongs amongst the elite with Fedor and Anderson, people need to give up the "bad stoppage" bullshit and accept what happened, one of the all time greats beat the greatest fighter that ever lived and probably retired him. Simple as. Also, Hendo is one of the nicest, most genuine guys you'll ever meet so I was delighted he won even though I initially picked Fedor(Hendo was NOT impressed when I told him I thought Fedor was going to armbar him! but we had a great laugh about it and he introduced me to a few people as "the guy that bet against me"!)

By the way, the rest of the card was pretty good. Coenan vs Tate was enjoyable(sidenote: Tate's afterparty was mixed in with Hendo's because Hendo invited her, her team and her fans to it, she's a really nice girl and pretty hot!). Woodley vs Daley was better than expected because Daley managed to stuff far more takedowns than people thought he would. Lawlor vs Kennedy was a good fight, Kennedy is one tough bastard. Saffiedene vs Smith wasn't a bad fight and the undercard was enjoyable. Always fun to see JZ fight although Saturday was not one of his better outings he was happy with the win when I chatted with him afterwards.

We didnt get to see Fedor until he was stood up being checked by doctor, it was all Hendo celebration until then. Commentators did say that Fedor was hurt still and looked out if it.

I would like to see Rampage rematch, and also Shogun/Machida fight would be incredibly interesting aswell.

If he choses to stay in SF then i would much rather King Mo than Mousasi. I think Hendo is a terrible matchup for Mousasi, he 's not gonna Ko him and his wrestling is more than good enough to trouble Mousasi.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:02 pm

Herb stopped the fight a wee bit too early but nothing out of the ordinary, ive seen countless worse stoppages.

In my books the uppercut that flattened Fedor made Herb shit himself and think Fedor was out cold (which is understandable) he was ready to pounce as soon as he saw it and after another shot or 2 he stopped it. Fair enough call, Id have let Fedor take another couple of shots because of who he is but I think its wishfull thinking that another second or 2 and Fedor would have survuved.

At the end of the day Fedor played Hendos game, he enganged him in wild swinging exchanges and paid the price for it.

Fedor is still a great fighter, still a top 10 Hw for me but Id rather he retired because the game has passed him by and his idea of evolving as a fighter is to loose 10lbs Rolling Eyes He is starting to fall behing skill wise now and its his skills that made him who he is. Being undersized and fat was ok when he was one of the most skilled guys around but his striking is sloppy as can be and his wrestling defence is poor. He wont ever train like a modern day MMA figther so I agree with people saying he should hang his gloves up while his losses are forgivable.

Hendo is the man, I hope he goes to UFC, Glad to hear you had a good time Anfield, must have been amazing to meet Hendo. I reckon a fight with Rampage or Shogun/Forrest winner would be amazing, Lets hope he gets his shot at Bones before he retires.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:03 pm

Herb Dean will be on the MMA Hour with Ariel Helwani to explain his side of the story, the show starts in an hour on MMAFighting.com
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Mon Aug 01, 2011 6:16 pm

Gunna be out for dinner then but I guess he will say...

The uppercut left him in a heap and I let him eat a couple more Bombs before stopping it.

I dont think theres too much of a fuss being made about the stoppage is there?

I cant see Fedor fighting on, Zuffa are going to cut him without a doubt.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------

Shit to see Daley loose, it was a close fight and his TD defence looked great! Woodley is a dryhumper I hope he looses in his rematch to Tarec for the title.

Kennedy is bad ass, I reckon he is good enough to beat Jacare in a rematch and I reckon him and Jacare are wasted in SF. I think either man would be a title contender in UFC. Lawler is over rated but his fight with Jacare showed he had really improved and kennedy beat him handily.

Also thank fuck JZ got a win at last! Laughing
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:16 pm

Ariel said he will be on the show in the third hour, so that will be anytime after 8:00PM, so if you're home by then make sure you watch it Very Happy
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:27 pm

I thought it was a just stoppage personally. However it did look like Hendo caught him in the back of the head, in which case the action should have been paused and Hendo should have had a point deducted. Oh well, great fight while it was lasted. Hendo was always one of the best, but with this win he could have put himself in the higher echelon.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:30 pm