THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
superman_punch
p4pnumber_1
The_Axe_Emperor
Sheldan
9 posters

Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136

Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136 Empty Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:05 am

Of all the targets at which Chael Sonnen (25-11-1 MMA, 4-4 UFC) has aimed, the toughest one may be ahead.

Not long after a bout with Lyoto Machida was nixed, sources today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) that the onetime middleweight contender will stay in his division and is targeted for a meeting with Brian Stann (11-3 MMA, 5-2 UFC) at UFC 136, which takes place Oct. 8 at Toyota Center in Houston.

Verbal agreements are in place for the bout, though contracts haven't been signed.

Sonnen previously has taken aim at Machida on Twitter, which has led to intense rumors about a fall fight between the two. That matchup, however, was shot down this morning, as MMAjunkie.com reported.

Sonnen was freed to fight exactly one week ago after serving a suspension handed down this past May by the California State Athletic Commission. The commission issued an indefinite suspension after determining that the fighter had given inconsistent statements about his testosterone-replacement therapy this past December in an appeal of a one-year suspension that was issued in the wake of his UFC 117 loss to Anderson Silva (which was later halved to six months). The commission also cited his conviction earlier this year on one felony charge of money laundering when handing down the suspension.

It is unknown whether Sonnen will apply for a therapeutic-use exemption with the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, which will oversee the Oct. 8 event.

Stann, meanwhile, is coming off an impressive TKO victory over former World Victory Road/Sengoku champion Jorge Santiago at UFC 130. Prior to that, he stopped Chris Leben with strikes at UFC 125. The fast-rising contender and former WEC champ has now won five of his past six fights, and the lone defeat came to top contender Phil Davis before Stann's move down from light heavyweight.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Surprised at this fight, I thought UFC was planning on making Stann a future contender, and I see no way that he can win this fight at the current point of his career. Even though he has been training with some great wrestlers at Greg Jackson's camp, Sonnen has too strong a wrestling base for Stann to stuff any takedowns, and Stann isn't likely to cause any problems with any submissions on the ground. I think this is simply a fight UFC have made because Stann is riding high at the moment, and when Sonnen beats him it can pave the way for Sonnen to fight Silva again, unless UFC is planning on making Bisping VS Sonnen in the new year, however I doubt that. Silva VS Sonnen II it is in early 2012 then.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136 Empty Re: Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:18 am

Stann stoppage in round 1.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136 Empty Re: Sonnen expected to face Stann, not Machida, at UFC 136

Post  Sheldan Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:22 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:Stann stoppage in round 1.

I'll hold you to that Axe.
    p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:29 am

Sonnen decision. I won't count out Stann after his latest performance, but i can't see him stopping Chael's takedowns or being much of a threat of his back, but you never know.

The term "anything can happen in a fight" was certainly proven after Tito's performance on Saturday.

Although i'm not much of a Stann fan, I will definitely be cheering him on against Sonnen.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:49 am

Sheldan wrote:

He has the power to put anyone away, and he's showed in the past that he's more than capable of a sub off his back.
    superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:59 am

It's a done deal. Roll on Oct 8th!!! No Stann bashing from Sonnen though. Chael UD then the biggest middleweight rematch in UFC history.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:06 am

Not sure what Stann has shown to even indicate he can handle Sonnen. He's a good fighter, been impressive over his last few fights but he's not fought anyone to make me think Sonnen's in any trouble here.

Sonnen UD.
    efils_god
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 am

I actually like Stann alot, but i think Sonnen is a nightmare match-up for him.

Sonnen UD
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:08 am

I feel the UFC is throwing Stann in there for a reason to set up Silva vs Sonnen II (Providing he beats Okami) all I can see in this fight is Sonnen shutting Stann down for 3 Rounds and win a wide UD It will probably look very similar to Stann's match with Davis.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:49 pm

Sonnen ud punchers chance for stann

Knew the machida fight was crap

Big risk for the stann hype train
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:51 am

Fancy an AV bet on that??
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:54 am

The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

He has the power to put anyone away, and he's showed in the past that he's more than capable of a sub off his back.

One sub off his back against a bum shows he's more than capable?

I like Stann but lets not get carried away, the only good wrestler he's ever faced EASILY beat him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Stann's in trouble here, I'm surprised the UFC just butchered one of there potential contenders by throwing him in there with Sonnen. Stann's a good guy, and a good fighter but he's not in Sonnen's league right now. Sonnen will ride out an easy UD.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:00 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    The_Axe_Emperor wrote:
    Sheldan wrote:

One sub off his back against a bum shows he's more than capable?

I like Stann but lets not get carried away, the only good wrestler he's ever faced EASILY beat him.

You dont exactly have to be a BJJ phenom to submit Sonnen.

As for the Av bet, you're on Very Happy
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:29 am

The guy's who have submitted Sonnen have all been far better at BJJ than Stann though.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:28 pm