THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+11
Once Mohawked Pete
Cowboys From Hell
superman_punch
KalDog
ChelseaQuinsfan
Sheldan
Anfields5thKing
the_king
2brutal
rudeboyben84
p4pnumber_1
15 posters

Sonnen targets Wanderlei

p4pnumber_1
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Sonnen targets Wanderlei Empty Sonnen targets Wanderlei

Post  p4pnumber_1 Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Chael Sonnen: "Money doesn't buy happiness but it does buy ringside seats to Wandy's next humiliating loss, and that's pretty much the same thing."

Thoughts?
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Sonnen targets Wanderlei Empty Re: Sonnen targets Wanderlei

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:58 pm

Sonnen is 2nd or 3rd ranked and he gave Anderson a kicking for 4 and a half rounds, IMO the guy should walk right into a title fight, I dont think he is concerned with fighting Wandy who ispretty much universally outside the top 10.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:19 pm

Come on Ben chael is not that good Maia finished him early he looked great against silva but I think he needs a fight first plus it will be about 17 month at least since he last fought
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:30 pm

any news when sonnen will be aloud to fight? wrandi is a step down for sonnen, id put him in there with belfort first.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Sonnen's the number 2 MW in the world, and to be fair, he's the best fighter at MW. He beat the shit out of Silva until he made a mistake. Silva couldn't live with him. It's one of those fights that points towards the argument that a submission shouldn't end a fight it should just result in a 10-8 round. Nobody in the world outside of BlackHouse thought Anderson deserved to walk out champion.

If Maia and Sonnen fought again, Sonnen would dominate him.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:03 pm

A Sub making it a 10-8 round wouldnt work at all... because a Sub if not stopped by the ref ends up with someone out cold or with a Broken limb.... the fact a fighter taps means you could stand it up and start it again with a 10-8 scorecard but that wouldnt be fare because the guy who tapped quit the fight.

Id back Sonnen against more or less any Mw and a got lot of the Lhws too but he needs to sort his BJJ, Doesnt matter how gay he thinks it is its his huge weakness in his game, it has been from his early days and he hasnt addressed the issue.

Stann is the fight I want to see him in to be honest.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:48 pm

If the sub meant a 10-8 round then guys would tap. A submission is not as definite a finish to a fight as a KO. I read a really interested article making the argument for the 10-8 round after the Sonnen-Silva fight. I'll try find it again. 1 sub in a round 10-8 round. 2 subs in a round, fight over. 3 subs in a fight, fight over. He was working off the knockdown rule in boxing. I haven't explained it very well, the article makes a lot more sense than my rambling. If i can find it I'll post it.

Sonnen does need to work on his BJJ. I think all the work he's doing with Okami will help. Yushin has great sub defense.

I don't think Stann is at that level just yet. It's a shame Nate The Average dropped weight, that would have been a good fight for Stann. Although they are sort of team-mates.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:34 pm

Id be interested to read that, anything for 10-8 rounds to be more frequent Id be interested to read it though subs are as rare as KO's so I think it would sort of devalue them, effectivley its the ref stopping a fighter going out cold or having a limb broke, a RNC not stopping a fight would seem strange to me because guys would hold on a few extra seconds to try and get the guy to go out... Interesting idea all the same.

Okami certainly has better sub defence, I forgot they are training togeather... What about Cesar gracies camp? Doest he have some connection with them? Im sure Nick Diaz would be a great training partner too.
    Sheldan
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:52 pm

He was training with Shields in the lead up to the GSP fight, so i'm sure he picked up some good submission defense training there, the way Sonnen fights will always leave him prone to submissions, he throws widly and he can easily have either an arm or his neck caught and find himself in either an armbar or a triangle.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:12 pm

Sonnen and Shields are very close, although Shields goes to train with Team Quest rather than Sonnen going to train with the Cesar Gracie camp.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:18 pm

I'm not so sure I'd favor Sonnen in a rematch against Silva. In the first fight, I think Silva was just so shocked at how Sonnen came at him, he forgot his game plan and got dominated. The first round was 10-8 for me and Silva just doubted himself. Silva does not have the greatest will in the world. You could see how frustrated Silva was, even before the fight began. Sonnen's trash talking got to him. Also Silva was dealing with injuries issues as well.

I think in a rematch Silva is going to be a lot more cautious and not underestimate Sonnen as much as he did in the first fight. If they have a second fight, I expect Sonnen to come out blazing like last time, but this time Silva will be prepared. He'll stuff some take downs, batter him standing and either stop him in two rounds or pull the same shit he did to Maia.

Sonnen has to have one fight before that happens though IMO. It's better for him as well, it will get him back in shape. Bisping would have been perfect but maybe someone like Mark Munoz would make sense. Both won't title shots and this could have a bit of a grudge feel to it. Munoz being from black house and all, trying to protect the name of his camp. Could be quite fun.
    KalDog
    KalDog
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  KalDog Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:55 pm

What is it with this new trend of fighters calling out legends? Everyone's calling out Wanderlei, there's even a few calling out Tito
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:33 am

It helps fighters further there legacy. All these guys who called out Wandi like Leben, Stann, Sexyama and now Sonnen want a fight that is winnable but also big. Wandi now a says is a pretty easy fight for Sonnen, but a win over Wandi in terms of legacy means a lot more than nearly every other fighter in the division.

Just look at what Schaub is doing. Beating Cro Cop today really means nothing, but because Cro Cop is a legend it makes Schaub look better than he actually is.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:52 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'm not so sure I'd favor Sonnen in a rematch against Silva. In the first fight, I think Silva was just so shocked at how Sonnen came at him, he forgot his game plan and got dominated. The first round was 10-8 for me and Silva just doubted himself. Silva does not have the greatest will in the world. You could see how frustrated Silva was, even before the fight began. Sonnen's trash talking got to him. Also Silva was dealing with injuries issues as well.

I think in a rematch Silva is going to be a lot more cautious and not underestimate Sonnen as much as he did in the first fight. If they have a second fight, I expect Sonnen to come out blazing like last time, but this time Silva will be prepared. He'll stuff some take downs, batter him standing and either stop him in two rounds or pull the same shit he did to Maia.

Sonnen has to have one fight before that happens though IMO. It's better for him as well, it will get him back in shape. Bisping would have been perfect but maybe someone like Mark Munoz would make sense. Both won't title shots and this could have a bit of a grudge feel to it. Munoz being from black house and all, trying to protect the name of his camp. Could be quite fun.

First off, it doesn't matter what Anderson Silva does, he's not stopping Sonnen from taking him down. There's nobody that can stop Sonnen taking them down. One of the 4 or 5 best wrestlers in MMA.

Secondly, Sonnen has a great chin and isn't going to get knocked out unless Silva pulls out that kick he used against Vitor. But the chances of Silva landed that on Sonnen are somewhere between slim and none.

Thirdly, if Sonnen got in Anderson's head the first time around, imagine what he'll do next time with the asskicking he gave him for 23minutes as ammunition. Sonnen would have won the most lopsided decision victory in the history of UFC title fights had he won that fight. He'd won two round 10-8 on all score cards. I don't think a fight has ever been scored 50-43 on all three cards.

Munoz won't get a title shot while Anderson is champ but that fight would make sense. Shame he couldn't have fought Bisping BUT i have a feeling Sonnen will get the winner of Bisping vs Mayhem in a number 1 contenders fight.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:55 am

Sonnen better hope Bisping wins, Miller is one of the bad matchups for him, Miller has great subs and one of the few fighters with the gas tank to hang with him for 15 or 25 mins if were seeing 5 rounders in the main events.

ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:24 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:I'm not so sure I'd favor Sonnen in a rematch against Silva. In the first fight, I think Silva was just so shocked at how Sonnen came at him, he forgot his game plan and got dominated. The first round was 10-8 for me and Silva just doubted himself. Silva does not have the greatest will in the world. You could see how frustrated Silva was, even before the fight began. Sonnen's trash talking got to him. Also Silva was dealing with injuries issues as well.

First off, it doesn't matter what Anderson Silva does, he's not stopping Sonnen from taking him down. There's nobody that can stop Sonnen taking them down. One of the 4 or 5 best wrestlers in MMA.

Secondly, Sonnen has a great chin and isn't going to get knocked out unless Silva pulls out that kick he used against Vitor. But the chances of Silva landed that on Sonnen are somewhere between slim and none.

Thirdly, if Sonnen got in Anderson's head the first time around, imagine what he'll do next time with the asskicking he gave him for 23minutes as ammunition. Sonnen would have won the most lopsided decision victory in the history of UFC title fights had he won that fight. He'd won two round 10-8 on all score cards. I don't think a fight has ever been scored 50-43 on all three cards.

Munoz won't get a title shot while Anderson is champ but that fight would make sense. Shame he couldn't have fought Bisping BUT i have a feeling Sonnen will get the winner of Bisping vs Mayhem in a number 1 contenders fight.

Sonnen has had his takedowns have been stuffed before, and if Silva can get some good take down defense and keep Sonnen at bay with leg kicks, I think he'll be able to stop the take downs. He's got to learn to fight better off his back, because control is probably Sonnens strongest point. If he takes you down, rarely do you get back up.

Silva can KO nearly anyone in the world. This is a guy who rocked Dan fucking Henderson! A kick or a knee to the face of Sonnen and he'll be going to sleep. Silva barely managed to touch him last time.

Good point except I think Silva is going to come back with stuff like Sonnen was exposed as a cheat and stuff like that. I'm not saying I believe that, but I do think Silva will point to his failed drug test. Kind of like what BJ did to Sherk.

I heard in an interview Munoz wants a title shot and he feels he's close. Even with Silva at the helm. Munoz vs Sonnen could be a lot of fun. However I agree that it is a real shame he didn't get Bisping. TUF would have been so much fun and the ass kicking Bitchping gets at the end would be nothing short of hysterical.

Munoz could end up fighting Stann though, to get the next title shot after Okami and the winner of Sonnen vs Mayhem/Bitchping gets the one after that.

Sonnen better hope Bisping wins, Miller is one of the bad matchups for him, Miller has great subs and one of the few fighters with the gas tank to hang with him for 15 or 25 mins if were seeing 5 rounders in the main events.

They actually fought once before

Sonnen's second fight, Mayhem's 4th. Also Mayhem's first loss. Obviously times have changed since then. I think if this fight were to happen, Sonnen needs to go train with Sheilds and really follow how Shields fought against Mayhem.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:41 am

didnt remember that at all thanks for posting, 2 X 5 rounds though, it could be 5 X 5 rounds next time they meet, Whole different fight when Sonnen isnt a KO or Sub artist. But Id back Sonnen again after seeing that he is a lot more powerfull than Shields and can probabally controll Miller.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

Sonnen has had his takedowns have been stuffed before, and if Silva can get some good take down defense and keep Sonnen at bay with leg kicks, I think he'll be able to stop the take downs. He's got to learn to fight better off his back, because control is probably Sonnens strongest point. If he takes you down, rarely do you get back up.

Silva can KO nearly anyone in the world. This is a guy who rocked Dan fucking Henderson! A kick or a knee to the face of Sonnen and he'll be going to sleep. Silva barely managed to touch him last time.

Good point except I think Silva is going to come back with stuff like Sonnen was exposed as a cheat and stuff like that. I'm not saying I believe that, but I do think Silva will point to his failed drug test. Kind of like what BJ did to Sherk.

I heard in an interview Munoz wants a title shot and he feels he's close. Even with Silva at the helm. Munoz vs Sonnen could be a lot of fun. However I agree that it is a real shame he didn't get Bisping. TUF would have been so much fun and the ass kicking Bitchping gets at the end would be nothing short of hysterical.

Munoz could end up fighting Stann though, to get the next title shot after Okami and the winner of Sonnen vs Mayhem/Bitchping gets the one after that.

Sonnen's second fight, Mayhem's 4th. Also Mayhem's first loss. Obviously times have changed since then. I think if this fight were to happen, Sonnen needs to go train with Sheilds and really follow how Shields fought against Mayhem.

If Munoz wants to fight Anderson he'll have to leave Black House. I don't think he'll fight Anderson personally. BlackHouse are a very tight group.

If Anderson opens his mouth towards Sonnen, Sonnen will go to town on him. Look at the stuff he's said since when Anderson hasn't said a word! If Anderson tries to trash talk, it will end very badly for him.

Silva barely managed to touch him because Sonnen has one thing in his stand-up that's brilliant. Head movement. Dan Henderson is happy to get hit. Sonnen's boxing is good, his boxing defense is excellent. He slips punches and moves his head really really well.

Who stuffed Sonnen's takedowns? I remember Okami stopped a couple but Sonnen got him down and kept him down. And Okami is one of the best Judoka's in MMA. He still got outgrappled by Sonnen. Anderson hasn't a prayer, and throwing legs kicks would be a mistake. He's never really been a leg kick guy and if he starts using them and they're not Shogun-esque, then his leg is getting caught and he's on his arse.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:05 am

Anfields5thKing wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:

If Munoz wants to fight Anderson he'll have to leave Black House. I don't think he'll fight Anderson personally. BlackHouse are a very tight group.

If Anderson opens his mouth towards Sonnen, Sonnen will go to town on him. Look at the stuff he's said since when Anderson hasn't said a word! If Anderson tries to trash talk, it will end very badly for him.

Silva barely managed to touch him because Sonnen has one thing in his stand-up that's brilliant. Head movement. Dan Henderson is happy to get hit. Sonnen's boxing is good, his boxing defense is excellent. He slips punches and moves his head really really well.

Who stuffed Sonnen's takedowns? I remember Okami stopped a couple but Sonnen got him down and kept him down. And Okami is one of the best Judoka's in MMA. He still got outgrappled by Sonnen. Anderson hasn't a prayer, and throwing legs kicks would be a mistake. He's never really been a leg kick guy and if he starts using them and they're not Shogun-esque, then his leg is getting caught and he's on his arse.

All I know is he has talked about wanting the title after he beat Maia, but you could be right. He seems quite close with Silva and it would be a shame if he had to leave one of the best camps to get a title shot. I think at his age he might consider it though, Munoz isn't a young guy.

Silva tried to trash talk last time, but it was mostly just him laughing off Sonnen's chances of beating him. He might be in the mindset that Sonnen is going to talk trash more than ever anyway, I might as well piss him off myself.

I agree his head movement, especially in Silva fight was brilliant, however I still think if Silva lands, Sonnen will go to sleep. Silva's got to go at him like he went at Franklin, in the Muay Thai Clinch and brutalize him with knees. If even Hendo got rocked by Silva, I don't think anyone has a chance. Look at what happened to Leben who has a ridiculous chin. The only fighter I've seen take a hit from Silva and shrug it off is Cote.

Okami stuffed a couple and so did Nate, Filho, Griffin, Horn, Babalu and Prangley as I well I think. I didn't know Okami was such a great Judoka, I always thought of him as a very good but boring wrestler. I would say Sonnen out wrestled Okami more than out grappled. Okami was also coming off a long layoff. Silva has thrown leg kicks before quite effectively, against Leities and Cote for example. Your right, it could end up being a mistake if Sonnen catches one, but Silva's striking is so fast it's hard to predict him.

Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:00 am

Griffin and Horn both got taken down almost every time he shot at them. Filho got destroyed both times until he caught the armbar. Nate managed to fend off one or two but Sonnen doesn't shoot and if he gets stuffed just stop and wait for another time, he just keeps going for it. Can't remember the Prangley or Babalu fights but I remember Babalu saying he just couldn't stop Sonnen cos he was like a machine.

Yeah mate, Okami's a great Judoka. He's basically adapted it to MMA so that it's very similar to Greco. That's one of the reasons he's training with Team Quest so much but he's a very very good Judoka. It's a shame he adapted it to MMA in that way, rather than the Karo Parisyan way but it's very effective for him.

Oh I agree that if Anderson lands flush he can KO him, but i don't see him landing flush on Sonnen. His head movement is so good that anything that lands isn't full force and he has a really good chin so he can take 70-80% shots from Anderson.

As far as Anderson against Rich, as Sonnen said "he beat up a Math teacher!"
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:27 am

I remember Griffin stuffed a couple. Horn got taken nearly every time but Horn was probably the first fighter who exposed a weakness in Sonnen's take downs. He leaves his neck open to guillotines. Sonnen's take downs are very effective and they land nearly every time but they are also very telegraphed. Sonnen doesn't have an explosive shot the way someone like Phil Davis or GSP does, so people can see them coming. A lot of fighters have picked up on it, Miller, Nate, Babalu and I think Okami as well all caught him with guillotines when he went for a takedown. If Silva can see that and work on his guillotines, he could give Sonnen a lot of trouble in that department.

I actually had no idea about Okami being that well versed in Judo. Has he ever competed in any major Judo tournaments or anything like that? I always thought he was very good fighter just boring, but you can't really blame. He is probably the most successful fighter out of Japan in the US behind maybe Sakuraba.

I think if anyone can land on Sonnen it's Silva. His striking is normally so precise, it's brutally accurate. The knee on Maia, the kick on Belfort, the elbow to Frykland.

And no making fun out of Rich Evil or Very Mad
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:11 am

Bisping might get the shot if he wins or a number 1 bout miller will not
    A sub when they are out cold asleep is just the same as a ko surely

Anderson would not be able to stop the take downs but could catch him in the first few seconds each round, hope they rematch

Stann v chael is a good shout Ben but I would be shocked if they would risk there boy in stann putting him in with the wrestling machine

superman_punch
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 am

Sonnen on twitter:

Axe Murderer, my Ass. I'm more intimidated by Axe Body Spay.
    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:28 am

Silva geared out of his head 2006 v cro cop semi final open weight he out weighed cro cop he got destroyed too that's where it all went wrong for him
    Cowboys From Hell
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:32 am

I'm not surprised so many are calling out Wand the same happened to Cro Cop after Gonzaga & Kongo Fights the invincible aura Wand once had has long gone.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:46 pm