The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Matt mitrione

ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Matt mitrione

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:15 am

I just thought of two other who were extremely over hyped. I might get some stick for these two.

Shane Carwin: I don't know what it is about Carwin but I never liked him. The hype started really after the first couple of wins over living legends Christian Wellisch and Neil Wain, people started talking about him as the next big thing. I think people just got caught up with the fact he had finished every fighter he had faced in 1 round and they overlooked who he faced. Carwin undoubtedly has skills to compete at the highest level but when your biggest win before entering the UFC is 11-18 Sherman Pendergrast, you have some proving to do. When he fought Gonzaga he was put in a lot of trouble before Gonzaga did his usual choking bit. He looked most impressive beating Frank Mir who was experimenting too much with his size at the time. However when he moved up, his gas tank was exposed as one of the worst in high level MMA. You can never fully judge a fighter until he gets out the first round.

Cung Le: Ye, ye I know. He's a talented kickboxer and amazing to watch. However that doesn't repudiate the fact that he was never tested by any fighter who could even be considered good. Before fighting a way over the hill Shamrock, his biggest wins consisted of TUF rejects Sammy Morgan and JAson Von Flue and Tony Frykland who's a human punching bag. Yet I'm really meant to believe this is the man who will beat Anderson Silva? His kickboxing record isn't even that impressive either, in terms of quality opponents. His biggest wins are Brian Ebersole a wrestler who's a been nothing more than ok and Shonie Carter! He was honestly hyped like he was going to be the man to cure cancer, kill satan and bring world peace all at once.
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:13 pm

Say what you want about Meathead, but he impresses each time he gets in there and is in a great camp with Duke Rufus. He's strong, very athletic from his NFL days moves really well, and hits like a truck.

He'll never be champ, probably never get into contention or top 5, but HW division is pretty cack outside top 3 or 4, i think he can make it top 10, but its really not that much of an achievment anyway.

Remember when Rogers was no.6 here? Brock and Werdum at no.1??
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:08 pm

Meathead battered Morecraft, although i think it was really unlucky for Morecraft that the ref was so eager to stand the fight up when he was on top...and then he got knocked out 10 seconds later Embarassed
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Meathead impressed me big time last night. He is getting better and better.
    efils_god
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  efils_god on Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:38 pm

I agree, he gets better and better with every fight. I don't really think he's over-hyped (is he hyped that much?!). He seems to have decent TDD, a solid chin and as has been said he hits like a train.

He'll never be a champ probably but he could prove a fair few people wrong and become a good, successful fighter.

Who next for him?

I like Mitrione-Nelson next, if he wins that he'll take another big step up the rankings. Or Mitrione Struve?
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:26 pm

I think Kongo is the obvious choice.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:59 pm

Mitrione vs Struve is the best possible fight I think.

Kongo vs Brown 2 should be made.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:05 pm

Struve would be a good test for mitrione good call
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:12 pm

Maybe Kingsbury
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Kingsbury is a LHW, or did he move up?
    Mryzyz
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Mryzyz on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:56 pm

Well, he is so big, I got confused.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:59 pm

He only really looked big in his last fight, before that he was a decent size. I remember he was dwarfed by Bader on TUF. He looked massive in his last fight though.
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:04 pm

I remember Kingsbury was all of a sudden massive in his 21 second KO win over Ricardo Romero.

Good call on Kongo/Brown 2

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:54 pm