The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

Matt mitrione

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Matt mitrione

Post  2brutal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:55 pm

He has stated he believes he is the most overhyped fighter ever, I tend to agree to be honest,

What do you rekon I know some of you rate him

Who was the most overhyped fighter ever, kimbo maybe, rekon anfield might say jones lol!

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Re: Matt mitrione

Post  the_king on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:17 pm

most overhyped fighter ever in my opinion was kimbo slice, i hated the way elitexc promoted him. exposed though in the ufc.
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:21 pm

Lesnar's the most overhyped fighter of all time.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:50 pm

Yeah not bad shout rekon he would beat most fighters not in the top 7 or so
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:54 pm

At least Lesnar is an athlete unlike wannabe gangsta I'l steal your gold teeth and fight you in the car park for ten grand kimbo slice. Mitrione is massively over hyped. Reckon Kongo or Barry would both beat him
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  p4pnumber_1 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:21 pm

Most of the Asian fighters are overhyped and are exposed when they fight in USA e.g Aoki? Yamamoto? Omigawa? Akiyama?

Other fighters that spring to mind about being overhyped : Houston Alexander (after he knocked out Jardine + Sakara), Todd Duffee, Brandon Vera, Lesnar + Slice are the obvious ones.

At the minute probably two of the most overhyped fighters in the UFC are Hardy and Bisping - (not saying they aren't good fighters but they are overhyped)
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  redmeanie77 on Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:34 pm

Overroid
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:09 am

p4pnumber_1 wrote:Most of the Asian fighters are overhyped and are exposed when they fight in USA e.g Aoki? Yamamoto? Omigawa? Akiyama?

Other fighters that spring to mind about being overhyped : Houston Alexander (after he knocked out Jardine + Sakara), Todd Duffee, Brandon Vera, Lesnar + Slice are the obvious ones.

At the minute probably two of the most overhyped fighters in the UFC are Hardy and Bisping - (not saying they aren't good fighters but they are overhyped)

Aoki lost 1 fight to the clear world's #1 lightweight...by decision...in his first fight under unified rules....in his first fight outside japan.... in his first fight in a cage
    ...lets be honest it was always a big ask.
    He then went on to make Beerbohm look like a small child.

KID lost 2 fights on the bounce in japan before crushing a can and getting put in against a top contender in his first UFC fight, first fight in USA (bar 2 in Hawaii), first fight in a cage (maybe bar the same 2) and he lost a decision aswell.

The jury is out on those 2

superman_punch wrote:At least Lesnar is an athlete unlike wannabe gangsta I'l steal your gold teeth and fight you in the car park for ten grand kimbo slice. Mitrione is massively over hyped. Reckon Kongo or Barry would both beat him

At least Kimbo is a fighter.

Mitrione is massively overhypesd though, he may be talented, but it was less than 2 years ago he got submitted by JAMES MCSWEENEY
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  The_Axe_Emperor on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:48 am

Alot of hate in this thread...

Kimbo is probably the most overrated but i've never heard him say he thought he was any good. He was humble as anything and all he wanted to do was learn when on TUF, its not his fault his reputation preceeded him.

Lesnar is probably overrated too and was obviously fast-tracked to the title simply for his popularity but he won the belt and defended it so he's not the most overrated.

Mitrione isn't overrated, he's been on a tear of late beating some decent opposition and he's a humble too. He isn't athletically gifted, he's just a hardworker and it's good to see him taking his time and not rushing (and probably ruining) his career. The sport needs more people like him, he's just a regular Joe bloggs working like mad towards his own goals and fair play to him for it. Will he ever be champ? Probably not but at least he can say he gave it a good go.

As for the most overrated fighter, probably is some like Houston Alexander who had a string of fortunate matchups and then got found out, Soak-a-Jew perhaps? I remember him being ridiculously hyped going into the Machida fight.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:51 am

Most over hyped fighters?

Fedor the guy is so.. just joking Very Happy

Brendan Schaub: Seriously what is the big fuss about this guy? He's only beaten cans and guys who were embarrassingly past it. People talk about him like he is a genuine title contender.

Gegard Mousasi: Sorry but it's true. I like the guy and I think he's exciting to watch but he is extremely over hyped. He has potential no doubt but people have talked him as the best MW/LHW in the world, saying he was the man to beat Silva and some have even said he is the next Fedor. All babble. He was completely dominated by King Mo who gassed in 1/2 a round and couldn't beat Keith Jardine.

But the worst by far is...

Kimbo Slice:

Just watch this. Seriously just watch it.

Laughing
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:58 am

Do you think Mousasi would be able to beat Silva?

It would be a great fight, other than takedown defence, Mousasi's only weakness is not being aggressive enough....he is a proven world class striker, and i cant remember the last time he even took a big punch...thats class.

I can definitley see Mousasi outstriking Anderson Silva.

Not sure how you figure he was "completley dominated" by Mo, that is the actual textbook definition of lay and pray. He was his own victim in that fight, prefering to work for submissions/strike from his back, therefore preventing the stand up, but at the same time losing the fight for himself. scratch

He beat Jardine.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:33 am

No I think Silva would win the fight and get the finish as well. Is Mousasi really a world class striker? Who has he beaten in MMA that you would consider a world class striker? The best strikers he has beaten are Manhoef, Lombard, Cyborg Santos and Hunt. Manhoef has a lot of power but he makes a lot of his mistakes and he was submitted. He probably has the worst ground game in MMA today. Same goes for Hunt except Hunt shot to shit. Cyborg is a lot smaller than Mousasi and isn't that good. Lombard was nothing like he is today. He beat Mushashi when he was past it in K-1 and Kyotaro. The latter is probably his most impressive win but Kyotaro has been beaten by the better fighters he has faced.

I think Silva would be too quick for him and he's a lot more versatile in his striking. Silva has more powerful punches, but he can also end the fight with knees, kicks and even elbows. Mousasi just has his hands. Silva is also very hard to hit and has a fantastic chin as well.

He lost 5 rounds to 0 against Mo or if you were being generous 4-1. Dominated not the right word I suppose, but Mo won easily. There's no shame losing to Mo except for the fact that after two minutes Mo was shattered. I think most top LHWs would beat Mousasi. Jones would massacre him, as would Shogun and Machida. I think Rampage, Evans, Davis, Mo in a rematch, HEndo and Bader would all beat him.

Imo he lost the first round and with a point deduction it was 10-8. Anyway beating Jardine doesn't mean shit, if your a top fighter and more importantly a top striker, a KO of Jardine is a must when you fight him today.

Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:34 am

I think peoples wires are getting crossed a little here, you can class any fighter as overhyped in some way, as either they or others around them can create their own hype, the likes of Lesnar, Jones and even Fedor have all been overhyped to an extent, but they have been able to live up to they hype, as for fighters who have failed to live up to they hype, well thats a completely different story.

Rolles Gracie - By being a Gracie this automatically made him "the leathliest BJJ practioner in the HW division" as I heard somebody once refer to him as, Joey Beltran dispatched of him fairly easily, and I doubt we'll be seeing much of him again.

Todd Duffee - Oh he knocked a guy out in 7 seconds, this must mean that he is a future heavyweight prospect! Anybody can get a lucky punch on somebody, although he did at times look fairly decent against Mike Russow, but nonetheless, the buzz that was created following his KO of Tim Hague was a joke, and he certainly didn't live up to the hype that was created for him.

Dan Hardy - Yes I love him and the fact he puts it all on the line in his fights, but who has he beat? If he wasn't English he would probably be cut from the UFC by now, and he certainly is another guy that hasn't lived up to the hype that was created for him. (Sorry Dan! Crying or Very sad )

Yoshihiro Akiyama - UFC was billing him as some sort of god when they signed him in 2009, the hype he was getting was ridiculous, again, it all comes down to nationality, if he was called Jim Smith from the USA, would he be that hyped based on the guys that he had beat before entering the UFC? Judge for yourself.

Michael Bisping - No explanation needed for this.

Houston Alexander - We were led to believe that he was some sort of savoir to the LHW division, due to him apparently being one of the best well rounded fighters currently competing in MMA, they must not have made an exception for his glass jaw.

Brandon Vera - Again, another guy who we were led to believe was going to be the future of MMA, even more so at HW than LHW. Vera perhaps falls more in to wasted potential, because he is actually a very skilled athlete, just that it doesn't seem to fit into place for him.

Gina Carano - Sorry guys, i'm probably going to be getting a lot of hate for this, but lets be honest, if she wasn't gorgeous would we be making that much of a fuss about her? I'm not saying she's overrated, because I think she is actually very good, but come on, she is heavily overhyped.

Sokoudjou - Pretty much what Axe said.

And no surprise my number 1 overhyped fighter is....

Kimbo Slice - Him losing a fight began the domino effect that resulted in a company going bust, that gives you an indication of just how overhyped he was.

What seems to be the common factor here? Most of these fighters are from the UFC, and when they decide that you're on board your hype train, then the only way to get off is to come to a crashing end, which most of these guys did. UFC can hype up anybody they want, and the fact is the casual MMA fan will buy into it, at the end of the day this Sport is a business, and it's a much better thing to have more overhyped fighters not living up to the hype than to have none at all.
    Ginginho
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Ginginho on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:47 am

Based on a general hype-to-talent ratio, I would say the most overhyped fighter would have been Kimbo, with Bisping 2nd.

I would agree with most of Sheldans list too - except Akiyama, maybe overrated as a fighter but his sexiness makes up for the hype afro
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:25 am

Good list Sheldan although I disagree on Vera and Soukadju. I think those two are behind only Filho as being the biggest wastes of talent in MMA.

Vera is one of the most frustrating fighters in MMA. He has good all round skills, good Muay Thai, good Greco-Roman wrestling and good BJJ. He's exciting when he wants to be, has brutal kicks, good power and is fairly strong. However for one reason or the other he has just not capitalized like he should have. A big part of that was the contract dispute he had with the UFC.

Soukadju is also a big waste of talent. The man has great judo, good wrestling, huge power in his hands, brutal leg kicks, he is incredibly strong, has the best balance in MMA behind BJ Penn and GSP and has a great training camp to top things off. The three things that have kept from becoming a superstar are his cardio, his ground game and his temperament. His chin and durability are also quite suspect. If a guy like a Soukadju really dedicated to himself then there is no reason why he wouldn't be a top 10 LHW. As much as Greg Jackson gets bashed, he would be an ideal coach for someone like SOukadju. If you watch some of his fights, or the one's he's lost, you can see the difference between him in the 1st round and the latter ones. Look at his fights against Cane and Mousasi for example. Against Cane he was completely dominating. He was out striking him and throwing him around with ease. Second round he was shattered and Cane landed one punch. From there it was easy pickings.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:00 pm

Must say I bought into the whole Vera thing

Good call re schaub big nog will sub him
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  superman_punch on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:40 pm

The UFC have to hype up anyone who's facing GSP as he's eased through anyone put in front of him. They built up Shields like he was the second coming, did anyone actually back Shields in the predictions. I'm not saying Jake is overhyped, far from it. A win over Hendo and your no joke.

Schaub and mitrione are getting no where near that belt. Might go for the Brazil clean sweep when the UFC hits Rio.

2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  2brutal on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:54 pm

What no Ross the boss the real day pearson
    Cowboys From Hell
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Location : Dismantling the Sir Audley Harrison War Wagon, (With tears in my eyes) ***Now Back In Business !***

Post  Cowboys From Hell on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:19 pm

I wouldn't say Mittrone is overrated to be honest I don't rate him in the slightest look at who he has beat.

Most over-hyped fighter ever was probably Vera as some have already stated.
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:31 pm

after the 7 second KO Duffee was overrated.

I think the jury is still out on Duffee, he dominated Russow who is a talented heavyweight...and then he got Reem'd.

I expect him to blast afrozilla at D.17

right now the most underrated fighter is Overeem Twisted Evil
    Moose Stuff For Money...
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Moose Stuff For Money... on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Bob Sapp

Bobby Lashley

Gabriel Gonzaga
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  Sheldan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Ahh Bobby Lashley I forgot about him, his hype was created based on the hype that was created from Lesnar, they couldn't have been more wrong.

the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king on Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Moose Stuff For Money... wrote:Bob Sapp

Bobby Lashley

Gabriel Gonzaga

gonzaga is a good shout the biggest win was against cro cop. since he has been really hit and miss.
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:10 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Good list Sheldan although I disagree on Vera and Soukadju. I think those two are behind only Filho as being the biggest wastes of talent in MMA.

Vera is one of the most frustrating fighters in MMA. He has good all round skills, good Muay Thai, good Greco-Roman wrestling and good BJJ. He's exciting when he wants to be, has brutal kicks, good power and is fairly strong. However for one reason or the other he has just not capitalized like he should have. A big part of that was the contract dispute he had with the UFC.

Soukadju is also a big waste of talent. The man has great judo, good wrestling, huge power in his hands, brutal leg kicks, he is incredibly strong, has the best balance in MMA behind BJ Penn and GSP and has a great training camp to top things off. The three things that have kept from becoming a superstar are his cardio, his ground game and his temperament. His chin and durability are also quite suspect. If a guy like a Soukadju really dedicated to himself then there is no reason why he wouldn't be a top 10 LHW. As much as Greg Jackson gets bashed, he would be an ideal coach for someone like SOukadju. If you watch some of his fights, or the one's he's lost, you can see the difference between him in the 1st round and the latter ones. Look at his fights against Cane and Mousasi for example. Against Cane he was completely dominating. He was out striking him and throwing him around with ease. Second round he was shattered and Cane landed one punch. From there it was easy pickings.

Well said I dont see Soko as Overrated he just hasnt a clue about conditioning, how he would ever got 25 Mins I dont know. But he holds a minor title and got it over credible opposition, cant knock that.

I also think theres too much record Skming, Omigawa won his last fight so he is 1-1 in the UFC against high level competition.

Mousasi beat Jardine too, we all saw that didnt we? The guy has 1 loss to Mo in about 20 fights, he is the Dream champ and beat a whole load of Great Mw-Hw incliding SF Champ Jacare and Bellator champ Lombard... hard to agree he is over rated
    -----------------------

Lashley is a great call, people saw him look pure and utter shite against Jason Guida and still believed he was the Black Lesnar! Laughing

Sapp diserves to be called shit and overrated in MMA because no matter what he does with the rest of his career the guy beat Ernesto Hoost twice! Also I hear he is in the new Conan movie Rolling Eyes
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:56 am

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Good list Sheldan although I disagree on Vera and Soukadju. I think those two are behind only Filho as being the biggest wastes of talent in MMA.

Well said I dont see Soko as Overrated he just hasnt a clue about conditioning, how he would ever got 25 Mins I dont know. But he holds a minor title and got it over credible opposition, cant knock that.

I also think theres too much record Skming, Omigawa won his last fight so he is 1-1 in the UFC against high level competition.

Mousasi beat Jardine too, we all saw that didnt we? The guy has 1 loss to Mo in about 20 fights, he is the Dream champ and beat a whole load of Great Mw-Hw incliding SF Champ Jacare and Bellator champ Lombard... hard to agree he is over rated
    -----------------------

Lashley is a great call, people saw him look pure and utter shite against Jason Guida and still believed he was the Black Lesnar! Laughing

Sapp diserves to be called shit and overrated in MMA because no matter what he does with the rest of his career the guy beat Ernesto Hoost twice! Also I hear he is in the new Conan movie Rolling Eyes

Soukudju just really needs to talk to someone like GSP or Nick Diaz, anyone with great conditioning and just see what they do. It's by far his biggest weakness and I do think it's sad that some one who is as talented as he is, a guy KOed Arona and Lil Nog looses to guys like Houstan Alexander because of his shit cardio. His cardio is probably the second worse in MMA after Phil Baroni!

I'm a fan of Omigawa nowadays, I used to hate him because of how many lucky decisions he got, but I think he's a good fighter and exciting to watch.

I have never doubted Mousasi is a good fighter, but I question whether he is a great fighter. As I said, people were talking about him as if he were going to be the next Fedor and the man to beat Silva ect. How is that going to happen when you can't knock out modern day Jardine? When I first watched that fight, I honestly thought Jardine won the first 10-8 because of the point deduction. There was a case for a 10-8 in the last round for Mousasi, but either way, any top class striker should be able to send Jardine to sleep. He's win over Jacare was good, but I thought Jacare was winning until he got caught by a silly upkick. That was a mistake on Jacare's part. Lombard was nothing like he is today back then.

As for Lashley, anyone who can only beat Jason Guida, who is one of the worst fighters of all time, by two rounds to 1 has no real potential in the sport. One dimensional wrestler, with a horrible gas tank and nothing more.

Sapp was only over rated and over hyped in Japan, everyone, everywhere else knew he was shit Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:56 am