The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news


    New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Share
    avatar
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4165
    Join date : 2009-08-29

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:25 pm

    [quote="manschesthair_utd"][quote="redmeanie77"]












    [b]Brock was no.1 here before Cain fight[/b], and is a former champ. And you now want him outside top 15???[/quote]




    Im pretty sure Brock was no.1 here at some stage after Fedor lost, was he dropped below Werdum after Carwin fight or Cain?? But i definetly remember the arguments here about that....

    No he was not. Werdum was.
    Fedor was still above Brock too i think.[/quote]
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:49 pm

    i remember the arguments about it...but i really hope we never had Brock Lesnar at #1 *shudder*

    anyways he is clearly top 15 in terms of prowess, probably top 10, but its just the question of (in)activity.
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:56 pm

    redmeanie77 wrote:

    Brock was no.1 here before Cain fight, and is a former champ. And you now want him outside top 15???

    If he's out of action for a prolonged period of time, then yes. Out he goes.
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Sheldan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:04 pm

    Anfields5thKing wrote:
    redmeanie77 wrote:

    Brock was no.1 here before Cain fight, and is a former champ. And you now want him outside top 15???

    If he's out of action for a prolonged period of time, then yes. Out he goes.

    In that case why is Sonnen still ranked number 2?
    avatar
    redmeanie77
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 4165
    Join date : 2009-08-29

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  redmeanie77 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:11 pm















    And Big Nog aswell, Fedor hasnt won a fight since 2009 out he goes aswell.....
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Sheldan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:15 pm

    redmeanie77 wrote: And Big Nog aswell, Fedor hasnt won a fight since 2009 out he goes aswell.....

    I know Meanie, somehow because they're not called Brock Lesnar I assume they'll be the exceptions to the rule...
    avatar
    p4pnumber_1
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1144
    Join date : 2011-01-26
    Age : 31
    Location : Belfast

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  p4pnumber_1 on Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:19 pm

    there is always the possibility that Brock may never fight again, which should be taken into account

    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 862
    Join date : 2011-01-25
    Age : 35
    Location : West yorkshire

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  2brutal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:13 pm

    Blog-O-Plata – Ranking The Reem
    June 21, 2011 All MMA News, Blog, Exclusives, Strikeforce No Comments
    MMA Rankings are stupid. Every single one of them, on every single website, including this one, is a colossal waste of time. But people seem to like them, so everybody still does them and once a month the MMA community goes up in flames as people get far more worked up than is necessary over something completely pointless. Alistair Overeem is the latest crowd-splitter, a man with elite level talent, yet who is lacking the requisite ‘big wins’ to back it up. Which begs the question:  How do you Rank ‘The Reem’?

    There are two schools of thought when it comes to ranking fighters; Results-based, or Potential-based. Both contain varying degrees of subjectivity (opinion) and objectivity (facts).  Actually, there are four methods, but the two of them are even more pointless than the others. Stat-based rankings (100% objective) throw up all kinds of anomalies and Poll-based (where rankings are constructed purely on fan votes – 100% subjective) essentially amount to a popularity contest. For the purposes of ‘Ranking The Reem’, we’ll just look at the two more sensible (or less stupid) methodologies.

    Results-Based Rankings:

    Results based rankings remove a lot of subjectivity from the equation; you can’t argue with results, right? We use this method as a starting point for the rankings here on MMABay. The idea is that if you beat someone, you automatically take their spot in the rankings. It’s great for ranking fighters relative to the opponents they have fought in recent times, but like any other method, it’s far from perfect. Just take a look at the light heavyweight division; Lyoto Machida knocked out Rashad Evans, so Machida goes above Evans. Evans beat Rampage, so Evans goes above Rampage. Rampage beat Machida, so Rampage goes above Machida…but if Machida is above Evans, how does that work? That’s when you have to make the results time sensitive, with more recent victories having a heavier weighting – thus arrives the subjectivity.

    Using this method, Alistair Overeem did not belong in the top ten prior to Saturday’s Strikeforce card. His recent MMA opponents include Brett Rogers, Todd Duffee, James Thompson, Kazuyuki Fujita, Tony Sylvester and Gary Goodridge. In my mind only one of those men is even a top 20 heavyweight; there certainly wasn’t a top 10 fighter on that ledger until Werdum. So what do we know now, objectively, with regards to The Reem’s ranking? Well, he beat Werdum, so he goes above ‘Vai Cavalo’. Werdum beat Antonio Silva and Fedor (also beaten by Bigfoot) fairly recently, so it’s fair to say that (using this method) Overeem should be ranked above all three, which would put his lowest possible ranking at number 7.

    That’s it, objectively. There is no frame of reference for Overeem and the UFC heavyweights because they’ve never fought and have no (recent) common opponents in the top ten. What we can say is that Frank Mir should be below Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar but above Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and that Carwin should be below Junior dos Santos and Lesnar, who should himself be below Cain Velasquez. That leaves Velasquez and JDS in the top two spots, Lesnar and Carwin in the third and fourth and Mir making up the UFC top five. Still with me?

    Ranking The Reem: Using this system, with the necessary slice of subjectivity, it seems reasonable to ‘Rank The Reem’ anywhere from a low of seven to a high of three. Now where in that range you put him depends solely on two things: Your opinion of how good he is compared to the likes of Mir, Carwin and Lesnar, and whether the later pair’s recent losses are ‘worth’ less than Overeem’s recent win over the man who beat Fedor. Which brings us nicely to…

    Potential-Based Rankings:

    Some would say it’s crazy to rank a fighter based on who you think he would beat. And they’d be right, if every ranked fighter was in the same organisation and fought every other ranked fighter a couple of times a year in the vein of team sports like Football/Soccer. As we saw above that isn’t the case, and with top-ranked fighters sometimes competing as little as twice per year, many people chose to disregard anything but the most recent of results and go purely based on their opinion of a fighter’s skill set and where he or she stands relative to the champion.

    This method has its advantages; it allows you to disregard the top-of-division bottle necks that occur and say things like “Sure, Rampage was beaten by Rashad Evans, but he went on to beat a guy that knocked Rashad out, and win another fight while Rashad has sat on the sidelines. All Rashad does is push people against the cage, that’s not MMA. Rampage is therefore closer to a title shot, so I’m ranking him above Evans”. Which pretty much makes sense. Or you could say “Rashad beat Rampage, and has the skills to do it again. If Rampage didn’t like being pushed into the cage, he should have learned how to get out. All he does is punch, that’s not MMA. Sure, Rampage beat Machida, but it was a dodgy decision that should have gone the other way, so I’m ranking him below Evans”. Also reasonable. It also allows you to consider factors like Overeem’s success in K-1, or Jacare’s grappling credentials and how they translate to the MMA landscape.

    This method also has its cons, most obviously being that you’re basing your rankings on ‘how good’ someone is, or who you think they could beat, neither of which are at all quantifiable. It’s down to your opinion, and opinions are like assholes: Everyone has their own and most of them stink compared to yours.

    Ranking The Reem: Using this method allows you to rank a fighter where you think he should be relative to guys he hasn’t yet fought, based on your idea of what would happen if he did. My personal thoughts are this: Alistair Overeem beats Carwin, Lesnar, Nogueira and Mir nine times out of ten. I’d take him over Bigfoot right now as well. Velasquez and dos Santos? I’m not so sure. Using this method, I’d have Overeem at number 3, above the guys I think he beats and below the guys I’m not sure about. That’s what I believe; the trouble is that some of you might agree, some of you might partially disagree and others will think I’m a raging moron. Nobody’s opinion is wrong, but it’s almost impossible to find a consensus.

    The Verdict:

    There isn’t one, plain and simple. Whether you rank fighters on your own, as a group or by opening it up to a vote for thousands of people, whether you rank them based on results, their records, their skills or who has the coolest hair, you will never reach a consensus. You can use all the logic in the world, but someone, somewhere will bring up a four-year-old loss, or a time when somebody ‘gassed out’ as INDISPUTABLE PROOF that you are wrong, and they are right.

    All things considered, right now I’d ‘Rank The Reem’ at a solid number 5, but it doesn’t matter. While it’s more than reasonable after his victory over Werdum to award him a spot in the top ten, exactly where that spot should be will remain a matter of debate.

    The most pointless debate in the world.

    By Brad Wharton. Follow me on Twitter @MMABayBrad

    Why not tell us what you think about this story and get your thoughts featured in this week’s edition of MMABay Radio? Email Mailbag@mmabay.co.uk, start the subject with the word ‘RADIO MAILBAG’ and we’ll talk about our favourites on the next show.
    avatar
    superman_punch
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

    Posts : 308
    Join date : 2011-01-25
    Location : Leeds UK

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  superman_punch on Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:48 pm

    2brutal wrote:Blog-O-Plata – Ranking The Reem
    June 21, 2011 All MMA News, Blog, Exclusives, Strikeforce No Comments
    MMA Rankings are stupid. Every single one of them, on every single website, including this one, is a colossal waste of time. But people seem to like them, so everybody still does them and once a month the MMA community goes up in flames as people get far more worked up than is necessary over something completely pointless. Alistair Overeem is the latest crowd-splitter, a man with elite level talent, yet who is lacking the requisite ‘big wins’ to back it up. Which begs the question:  How do you Rank ‘The Reem’?

    There are two schools of thought when it comes to ranking fighters; Results-based, or Potential-based. Both contain varying degrees of subjectivity (opinion) and objectivity (facts).  Actually, there are four methods, but the two of them are even more pointless than the others. Stat-based rankings (100% objective) throw up all kinds of anomalies and Poll-based (where rankings are constructed purely on fan votes – 100% subjective) essentially amount to a popularity contest. For the purposes of ‘Ranking The Reem’, we’ll just look at the two more sensible (or less stupid) methodologies.

    Results-Based Rankings:

    Results based rankings remove a lot of subjectivity from the equation; you can’t argue with results, right? We use this method as a starting point for the rankings here on MMABay. The idea is that if you beat someone, you automatically take their spot in the rankings. It’s great for ranking fighters relative to the opponents they have fought in recent times, but like any other method, it’s far from perfect. Just take a look at the light heavyweight division; Lyoto Machida knocked out Rashad Evans, so Machida goes above Evans. Evans beat Rampage, so Evans goes above Rampage. Rampage beat Machida, so Rampage goes above Machida…but if Machida is above Evans, how does that work? That’s when you have to make the results time sensitive, with more recent victories having a heavier weighting – thus arrives the subjectivity.

    Using this method, Alistair Overeem did not belong in the top ten prior to Saturday’s Strikeforce card. His recent MMA opponents include Brett Rogers, Todd Duffee, James Thompson, Kazuyuki Fujita, Tony Sylvester and Gary Goodridge. In my mind only one of those men is even a top 20 heavyweight; there certainly wasn’t a top 10 fighter on that ledger until Werdum. So what do we know now, objectively, with regards to The Reem’s ranking? Well, he beat Werdum, so he goes above ‘Vai Cavalo’. Werdum beat Antonio Silva and Fedor (also beaten by Bigfoot) fairly recently, so it’s fair to say that (using this method) Overeem should be ranked above all three, which would put his lowest possible ranking at number 7.

    That’s it, objectively. There is no frame of reference for Overeem and the UFC heavyweights because they’ve never fought and have no (recent) common opponents in the top ten. What we can say is that Frank Mir should be below Shane Carwin and Brock Lesnar but above Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, and that Carwin should be below Junior dos Santos and Lesnar, who should himself be below Cain Velasquez. That leaves Velasquez and JDS in the top two spots, Lesnar and Carwin in the third and fourth and Mir making up the UFC top five. Still with me?

    Ranking The Reem: Using this system, with the necessary slice of subjectivity, it seems reasonable to ‘Rank The Reem’ anywhere from a low of seven to a high of three. Now where in that range you put him depends solely on two things: Your opinion of how good he is compared to the likes of Mir, Carwin and Lesnar, and whether the later pair’s recent losses are ‘worth’ less than Overeem’s recent win over the man who beat Fedor. Which brings us nicely to…

    Potential-Based Rankings:

    Some would say it’s crazy to rank a fighter based on who you think he would beat. And they’d be right, if every ranked fighter was in the same organisation and fought every other ranked fighter a couple of times a year in the vein of team sports like Football/Soccer. As we saw above that isn’t the case, and with top-ranked fighters sometimes competing as little as twice per year, many people chose to disregard anything but the most recent of results and go purely based on their opinion of a fighter’s skill set and where he or she stands relative to the champion.

    This method has its advantages; it allows you to disregard the top-of-division bottle necks that occur and say things like “Sure, Rampage was beaten by Rashad Evans, but he went on to beat a guy that knocked Rashad out, and win another fight while Rashad has sat on the sidelines. All Rashad does is push people against the cage, that’s not MMA. Rampage is therefore closer to a title shot, so I’m ranking him above Evans”. Which pretty much makes sense. Or you could say “Rashad beat Rampage, and has the skills to do it again. If Rampage didn’t like being pushed into the cage, he should have learned how to get out. All he does is punch, that’s not MMA. Sure, Rampage beat Machida, but it was a dodgy decision that should have gone the other way, so I’m ranking him below Evans”. Also reasonable. It also allows you to consider factors like Overeem’s success in K-1, or Jacare’s grappling credentials and how they translate to the MMA landscape.

    This method also has its cons, most obviously being that you’re basing your rankings on ‘how good’ someone is, or who you think they could beat, neither of which are at all quantifiable. It’s down to your opinion, and opinions are like assholes: Everyone has their own and most of them stink compared to yours.

    Ranking The Reem: Using this method allows you to rank a fighter where you think he should be relative to guys he hasn’t yet fought, based on your idea of what would happen if he did. My personal thoughts are this: Alistair Overeem beats Carwin, Lesnar, Nogueira and Mir nine times out of ten. I’d take him over Bigfoot right now as well. Velasquez and dos Santos? I’m not so sure. Using this method, I’d have Overeem at number 3, above the guys I think he beats and below the guys I’m not sure about. That’s what I believe; the trouble is that some of you might agree, some of you might partially disagree and others will think I’m a raging moron. Nobody’s opinion is wrong, but it’s almost impossible to find a consensus.

    The Verdict:

    There isn’t one, plain and simple. Whether you rank fighters on your own, as a group or by opening it up to a vote for thousands of people, whether you rank them based on results, their records, their skills or who has the coolest hair, you will never reach a consensus. You can use all the logic in the world, but someone, somewhere will bring up a four-year-old loss, or a time when somebody ‘gassed out’ as INDISPUTABLE PROOF that you are wrong, and they are right.

    All things considered, right now I’d ‘Rank The Reem’ at a solid number 5, but it doesn’t matter. While it’s more than reasonable after his victory over Werdum to award him a spot in the top ten, exactly where that spot should be will remain a matter of debate.

    The most pointless debate in the world.

    By Brad Wharton. Follow me on Twitter @MMABayBrad

    Why not tell us what you think about this story and get your thoughts featured in this week’s edition of MMABay Radio? Email Mailbag@mmabay.co.uk, start the subject with the word ‘RADIO MAILBAG’ and we’ll talk about our favourites on the next show.



    My boy brutal firstly putting on an avatar and now a masterful copy and paste. At this rate you'l be getting nominations for the next moderator with your ever expanding computer knowledge

    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 862
    Join date : 2011-01-25
    Age : 35
    Location : West yorkshire

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  2brutal on Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:20 pm

    Ta buddy took about 4 hours but I got there,

    It's a clear copy and paste too I'm not 1 for trying too claim posts,

    Makes sense re rankings though
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:37 pm

    here was the flyW rankings i did earlier, it received next to zero feedback as expected.

    1. Mamoru Yamaguchi
    2. Yasuhiro Urushitani
    3. Ian McCall
    4. Jussier Da Silva
    5. Shinichi Kojima
    6. Yuki Shojo
    7. Darrell Montague
    8. Kiyotaka Shimizu
    9. Fumihiro Kitahara
    10.Hiroyuki Nakajima

    Just missed out: Louis Gaudinot, Hiroyuki Nakajima, Ulysses Gomez, Alexandre Pantoja, Mitsuhisa Sunabe, Will Campuzano.


    anyways ....since im governing the flyweight rankings ill notify you of this:
    in the most annoyingly awkward manner possible. Pancrase announced a tournament to crown their first "flyweight" king, at 120 lbs (on 7th August).
    The 125 lb division is being renamed "super-flyweight" (the champ is #8 Shimizu).

    anyways since they're both within the widely accepted boundaries of flyweight, its going to count.

    participants:
    Mitsuhisa Sunabe (JMO, #11 at fightmatrix)
    Yoshihiro Matsunaga (#25 at fightmatrix)
    Hiroyuki Abe (#40 at fightmatrix)
    Takuya Eizumi


    Last edited by manschesthair_utd on Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Sheldan on Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:45 pm

    I have heard of two of those guys Very Happy .. I trust your judgement though mate!
    avatar
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6519
    Join date : 2009-08-15

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Anfields5thKing on Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:53 am

    manschesthair_utd wrote:Ben asked me to do the flyweight rankings so i gave it a shot, please give your input if you have any.

    1. Mamoru Yamaguchi (26-5-3) #2 Sherdog, #1 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Mamoru-Yamaguchi-1175
    2. Yasuhiro Urushitani (18-4-6) #1 Sherdog, #3 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Yasuhiro-Urushitani-1349
    3. Ian McCall (10-2-0) #3 Sherdog, #4 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Ian-McCall-5001
    4. Jussier Da Silva (9-1-0) #4 Sherdog, #7 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Jussier-da-Silva-36939
    5. Shinichi Kojima (10-4-5) unranked on SD and FM - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Shinichi-Kojima-8669
    6. Yuki Shojo (11-5-2) #5 Sherdog, #9 Fight Matrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Yuki-Shojo-9577
    7. Darrell Montague (9-1-0) #6 Sherdog, #8 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Darrell-Montague-34214
    8. Kiyotaka Shimizu (9-3-2) #7 Sherog, #5 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Kiyotaka-Shimizu-31882
    9. Fumihiro Kitahara (9-2-1) #9 Sherdog, #17 Fightmatrix - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Fumihiro-Kitahara-23868
    10.Hiroyuki Nakajima (5-1-1) unranked SD, #15 Fightmatric - http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Hiroyuki-Nakajima-54415

    The top 2 are very close, probably interchangeable, they are 1-1 against each other, Urishitani (shooto champ) winning the most recent fight in 2007. I put Mamoru #1 due to the fact that he has fought more frequently than Urishitani, competition level is comparable - maybe Mamoru edges it, and he is a much more prolific finisher of fights, more exciting IMO.

    McCall got a huge win over a top top fighter in Da Silva, which puts him ahead. Da Silva had a perfect record before that so he still has a high ranking.

    Shinichi Kojima has been out of action for 2 years but he is awesome and returning in August in a tough match, so I included him.

    Shojo has good record in Shooto and only guy to finish Urishitani (and only guy to beat him at all in 7 yrs)

    Montague good record, coming off good win, but its his only one.

    Shimizu is the king of Pancrase, but i think that title holds more weight on Sherdog which is why i ranked him lower.

    I left off Shooto 115lb champ Rambaa Somdet because he mainly fights at 115 lbs (though he is featured on sherdog and fightmatrix flyW rankings) and Alexis Vila because he is coming up to BW.

    whats your opinions?

    flower

    Payne won't be happy when he sees all those noodle arms! haha!
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:03 am

    1. JDS
    2. Cain
    3. Overeem
    4. Werdum
    5. Bigfoot
    6. Lesnar
    6. Fedor
    7. Mir
    8. Barnett
    9. Carwin
    10. Nog
    11. Sergei
    12. Nelson
    13. Russow
    14. Cormier
    15. Browne

    May I suggest something. With the hopes of not making everything too complicated, I think we should do these rankings with one criteria. If you have been out for over a year, and you still do not have a fight scheduled then you should be ineligible. These rankings are meant to show the best fighters in the division at the moment. Brock has been out for a long time and is going to be out for some more time yet. When he gets a fight, by all means put him in the rankings but for now, he just takes up space.
    avatar
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3763
    Join date : 2009-08-15
    Age : 106
    Location : Singapore

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  manschesthair_utd on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:19 am

    Sheldan wrote:I have heard of two of those guys Very Happy .. I trust your judgement though mate!

    lets just say i learnt alot more about them whilst compiling that list Laughing

    but i dont think anyone here follows the flyweight division in too much depth, so its either that or just refer to another sites rankings
    avatar
    Sheldan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 1570
    Join date : 2010-10-03
    Age : 24
    Location : Manchester

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Sheldan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:31 am

    ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:1. JDS
    2. Cain
    3. Overeem
    4. Werdum
    5. Bigfoot
    6. Lesnar
    6. Fedor
    7. Mir
    8. Barnett
    9. Carwin
    10. Nog
    11. Sergei
    12. Nelson
    13. Russow
    14. Cormier
    15. Browne

    May I suggest something. With the hopes of not making everything too complicated, I think we should do these rankings with one criteria. If you have been out for over a year, and you still do not have a fight scheduled then you should be ineligible. These rankings are meant to show the best fighters in the division at the moment. Brock has been out for a long time and is going to be out for some more time yet. When he gets a fight, by all means put him in the rankings but for now, he just takes up space.

    But Brock hasn't been out over a year scratch
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:37 am

    Thanks for that chesty Ill have a look over them and watch a few fights and see if I can help at all, appreciate the help.

    Anyone else up for taking a weight class on? Mw was always the one I found a pain in the arse to do... Anyone who wants to put their name forward to look after a list you'd be most welcome.

    Chelsea I dont know about that Idea, do they just go back in when they fight again where they were or what? I think it could complicate things more. If the majority agree with it I think we could roll it out, because you have a point about it keeping things relevant, though it would be tricky for someone like say Melendez for example...
    ------------------------------------------------------
    Nelson at 12 Shocked I just dont get it, I dont even see much difference between him and Rothwell. His biggest Career win was Schaub and he wasnt close to ranked at that point! Laughing

    Rothwell has beaten, Nelson, Soszynski twice, Yvel, Ricco, He has about twice the wins and about the same losses. This Nelson thing is killing me, how could you justify him over Rothwell let alone 12th! Getting into high profile fights shouldnt get you ranked if your loosing them all.
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:02 am

    Your right Sheldan my bad, keep Lesnar 6th then. If he doesn't have a fight announced by October, is it fair enough to drop him then?

    Ben good point about guys like Melendez, but at that point I think we should see how there org treats them. If Melendez was out for a year and got stripped off the belt then I think you could drop him, if he keeps the belt then keep him ranked. I just don't want to see multiple guys who haven't fought in a year and don't have anything planned on the rankings. It doesn't show who the best fighters are in the division at that present time. But if its too much of a pain in the arse then leave it.

    Rothwell hasn't fought in a year. Does he have anything planned? Struve was his biggest win, and I think he was top 15 at the time. Nelson was robbed against Rothwell IMO. Sozynski is LHW, Yvel was over the hill and while he was exciting he was never special to begin with and Ricco was undersized and past it.

    To be Russow could be ahead of him. Cormier and Browne have one big win each so I don't they should be above him.

    Revised top 15:

    1. JDS
    2. Cain
    3. Overeem
    4. Werdum
    5. Bigfoot
    6. Lesnar
    7. Fedor
    8. Mir
    9. Barnett
    10. Carwin
    11. Nog
    12. Sergei
    13. Russow
    14. Nelson
    15. Browne (Struve was higher ranked than Monson)

    I'll be happy to do the MW rankings if you don't have a problem with it as well.

    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:05 am

    Chelsea I dont know about that Idea, do they just go back in when they fight again where they were or what? I think it could complicate things more.

    Let's say Lesnar is out for more than a year and doesn't have a fight planned. In that case we take him out. Say a month after that he gets a match against Frank Mir. Then we can put him back in where he was, unless someone has shot up the rankings. Depending on whether he wins or looses, you can move him, down or keep where he is in the rankings.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:15 am

    Cormier has 1 big win in Monson who was better than Struve I reckon, Id have him in personally, other than that my Hw list is more or less the same... With inactivity Its a tough call I certainly think dropping them when they are out for a year or are we know they will be out when others around them is fair.

    I read this on Wikipedia "White is hopeful that Lesnar can return to the Octagon in the first part of 2012. His return fight would be the winner between Mir and Nelson for the number one contender for the next title shot" Lesnar vs Mir 3 will really show us where he stands. Im backing Mir all they way in a 3rd fight.
    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:18 am

    Oh and yes mate the Mw rankings would really help, feel free to take Ww if you want too! Laughing Though GSP has to drop when Diaz beats him Wink
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:29 am

    I can't remember exactly but wasn't Struve ahead of Monson? At the same time, I know how much you love Monson Very Happy

    I think we should find out about Lesnar's situation in the next couple of months. I'm almost annoyed it's Mir again, I really think Lesnar could do with fighting someone like Kongo or Russow. However with that being said, Lesnar clearly fights better against someone he hates.

    I'll be happy to do WW as well. Do you want me to wait till the LHW rankings are done or should I post them now?
    avatar
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

    Posts : 3314
    Join date : 2009-08-16

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  ChelseaQuinsfan on Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:41 am

    1. Jon Jones
    2. Rashad Evans
    3. Shogun
    4. Quinton Jackson
    5. Lyoto Machida
    6. Dan Henderson
    7. Forrest Griffin
    8. Ryan Bader
    9. Phil Davis
    10. Rafael Cavalcante
    11. King Mo
    12. Thiago Silva
    13. Gegard Mousasi
    14. Rich Franklin
    15. Antonio Rogerio Noguiera

    I think Silva has to be some what punished for cheating and he really hasn't beaten anyone that impressive. Jardine is his biggest win. Not a top 10 LHW IMO with or without the cheating.

    2brutal
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

    Posts : 862
    Join date : 2011-01-25
    Age : 35
    Location : West yorkshire

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  2brutal on Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:15 am

    Diaz ain't winning Ben,

    The lw is the most stacked div IMO

    avatar
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

    Posts : 6040
    Join date : 2009-08-14
    Age : 33
    Location : Belfast

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  rudeboyben84 on Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:21 pm

    Nice one Chelsea, Ill post Hw and Lhw tonight, And point taken about T.Silva, if you can get the Mw and Ww done whenever your ready, chesty has the 125 so that leaves Lw, Fw and Bw, if we dont get any more volenters ill be happy to do them all if needs be.

    Once we get all the rankings up and edit them with any feedback (its your own call but I think if a handfull of people disagree its worth changing)

    Anyone Else for doing a weight class?

    Sponsored content

    Re: New MMA Rankings with ranking System included

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 am