THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+5
Anfields5thKing
manschesthair_utd
ChelseaQuinsfan
The_Axe_Emperor
TomHughes1983
9 posters

Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP

Poll

Who will win the K1 2010 GP?

[ 0 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap0%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 6 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap60%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [60%] 
    [ 2 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap20%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [20%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap0%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [0%] 
    [ 0 ]
    [ 1 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap10%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [10%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_lcap10%Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP I_vote_rcap [10%] 
    [ 0 ]

Total Votes: 10
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP Empty Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:11 am

I'm annoyed that I missed the draw for the heavy weight GP but I've seen the match-ups and there are some interesting looking fights.

Interestingly enough, there are 3 fighters fighting out of Golden Glory, Saki, Overeem and Schillt (although according to Overeem, Semmy doesn't actually do very much training with the rest of the Golden Glory team). I see at least one of them making their way to the final.

My dark horse for the finals is Daniel Ghita. I was so impressed by his showing against Zimmerman especially the way he forced Errol to come after him in the second round because of the damage he was causing with his leg kicks.

Once again, I will be cheering against Schillt as he appears to have been given quite an easy route to the final. I don't think Kyotaro has what it takes to stop him especially as he will be tiny in comparison to the Dutchman.

Also, I know Badr Hari was apparently injured but I'd love to know why Remy Bonjasky wasn't involed. It feels weird not having the guy who was the winner two years ago and was in the semi final last year.
    The_Axe_Emperor
    The_Axe_Emperor
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP Empty Re: Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP

Post  The_Axe_Emperor Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:13 am

Welcome back Tom Smile

Who's fighting who?
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP Empty Re: Predictions for the K1 2010 Heavy Weight GP

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:25 am

Hari I think was in jail now for assaulting someone. If he isn't jail, he has some court hearing. He hasn't fought since May where he was Dqed. He will be out soon but he missed the start.

Bonjasky is injured I think, and injured badly. He hasn't fought since last year and I heard something about him having a serious injury.

I was very impressed with Ghita as well, he is definitley a dark horse. But I'm going with Spong, I think he has excellent standup and I think its his year. He is fighting Overoid next, so its a massive test, should he pass it I think he will go all the way. Saki is another to watch out for.

Axe the fights are:

Aerts vs Mo
    Schilt vs Kyotaro
    Ghita vs Saki
    Overoid vs Spong

TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:28 am

In the following order, according to wikipedia:

Peter Aerts vs Mighty Mo
    Kyotaro vs Semmy Schilt

Gökhan Saki vs Daniel Ghiţă
    Alistair Overeem vs Tyrone Spong

With the winner of the first fight versus the winner of the second fight and the winner of the third fight versus the winner of the forth fight.

I was impressed by Mo but I don't think he'll beat Aerts. Schillt will dominate Kyotaro. Saki versus Ghita will be fight of the night after the pair's last performances. Overeem will beat Spong as Tyrone won't keep to a leg kick happy game plan and will be pulled into a war against Overeem. But anything can happen, it's K1!

TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:32 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote:Hari I think was in jail now for assaulting someone. If he isn't jail, he has some court hearing. He hasn't fought since May where he was Dqed. He will be out soon but he missed the start.

Bonjasky is injured I think, and injured badly. He hasn't fought since last year and I heard something about him having a serious injury.

Cheers for the update Chelsea. I believe Badr was dropped due to a mixture of injury problems and bad behaviour, he kicked Hesdy Gerges whilst he was down when the pair fought at an It's Showtime event.
    manschesthair_utd
    manschesthair_utd
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  manschesthair_utd Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:36 am

im cheering for kyotaro but he is like half schilts size.

mismatch in that respect, unfortunate matchup for him.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:40 am

I was impressed by Mo but I don't think he'll beat Aerts. Schillt will dominate Kyotaro. Saki versus Ghita will be fight of the night after the pair's last performances. Overeem will beat Spong as Tyrone won't keep to a leg kick happy game plan and will be pulled into a war against Overeem. But anything can happen, it's K1!

I agree with everything except I do think Spong will beat Overeem. It may be wishful thinking on my part, but if he sticks to leg kicks and avoids a brawl, he has an excellent chance. I agree completely if he gets in a brawl, he will be sparked brutally, just look at what happened to Edwards. But if he fights smart, I think he is the better striker.

I see Aerts winning a comfortable decision, although Mo could catch him and Schilt destroying poor Kyotaro. Ghita and Saki is the fight im most looking forward to for entertainment value.
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    ChelseaQuinsfan
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  ChelseaQuinsfan Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:43 am

Cheers for the update Chelsea. I believe Badr was dropped due to a mixture of injury problems and bad behaviour, he kicked Hesdy Gerges whilst he was down when the pair fought at an It's Showtime event.

Heard about that as well. Shame really, he is such a talented fighter but he can be a real cock and its slowed down his career. I would have picked him to win it this year.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:53 am

ChelseaQuinsfan wrote: Heard about that as well. Shame really, he is such a talented fighter but he can be a real cock and its slowed down his career. I would have picked him to win it this year.

I hate to say it but I think he's one of the most talented K1 fighters out there and I think on his day he can beat anyone. It's his self control that will always let him down, two kicks to floored opponents in two title fights, it's the type of non-sense that should at least have been trained out of a fighter by now.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:31 am

I'm with Chelski on the Spong-Overeem fight, I think Spong can win that fight using his speed and quick hands and feet. He's at a massive size disadvantage but Overeem is a bit of a plodder and he's not a great kickboxer in the traditional sense. he has powerful hands and knees but his main weapon is physically bullying people. I think if Spong can keep on the outside and use his quickness, he can pick Reem apart.

Not sure who will win the whole thing to be honest. Without Bonjasky and Hari it's all a bit of a letdown. It's like the UFC HW division. Without Fedor and Overeem, nobody can call themselves the best HW in the world.
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:48 am

The chances are that Bonjasky won't fight again. He had a detached retina and had surgery on it in August. It's a chronic problem, this is the forth time he's had eye surgery, and although he's not officially announced it, he's pretty much retired. He may be interested in one more fight with Hari if his eye allows it, but he's just opened an academy and he's pretty much done.
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:24 am

sunthunder wrote:The chances are that Bonjasky won't fight again. He had a detached retina and had surgery on it in August. It's a chronic problem, this is the forth time he's had eye surgery, and although he's not officially announced it, he's pretty much retired. He may be interested in one more fight with Hari if his eye allows it, but he's just opened an academy and he's pretty much done.

Thanks for the update, Sunthunder. To be honest, I've never been a desperate fan of Bonjasky's fighting style although his knock out of Vernon White was awesome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrNU7fUejT4
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:40 am

iv thrown my hat in with an ouside overeem bet.
    Shanemc
    Shanemc
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Shanemc Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:29 pm

can only see Schilt winning this but i hope we get to see him vs overeem during it that would be a good fight between the 2 biggest competitors in it
    Sly Uses
    Sly Uses
    Lightweight
    Lightweight

Post  Sly Uses Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:08 pm

Golden Glory have all the three favourites imo. Schilt is the safe bet so I voted for him, but I doubt anyone would be surprised if Overeem could KO him or Saki get a decision
    sunthunder
    sunthunder
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  sunthunder Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:06 pm

Saki looked scary against Kemayo. That combo he throws 30 seconds into the fight was so crisp. Plus he has the name of a 5th century war lord or something, the crazy bastard.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:22 pm