THE ARMBAR

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Armbar is a virtual meeting ground for all MMA fans to log on, read up and discuss all the latest MMA news

+10
redmeanie77
payneNglory1
The_Axe_Emperor
pinsman
Anfields5thKing
ChelseaQuinsfan
manschesthair_utd
Sly Uses
efils_god
the_king
14 posters

CSAC "sonnen banned for 1 year"

Wonga
    Flyweight
    Flyweight

CSAC "sonnen banned for 1 year" - Page 2 Empty Re: CSAC "sonnen banned for 1 year"

Post  Wonga Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:48 pm

Have to say I am really disapointed the guy has turned out to be a cheat. He was always a mediocre fighter but really seemed to have changed in the last year or two.

All that smack talk is really goin to backfire on him now that he will be labelled as a drug cheat.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

CSAC "sonnen banned for 1 year" - Page 2 Empty Re: CSAC "sonnen banned for 1 year"

Post  the_king Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:47 am

latest on sonnen:

Chael Sonnen has appealed his failed UFC 117 drug test as expected and the California State Athletic Commission is expected to hear the UFC middleweight’s case on December 2, according to SI.com’s Josh Gross.

Sonnen faces a one-year suspension after testing positive for high testosterone levels following his UFC 117 loss to middleweight champion Anderson Silva on August 7 in Oakland.

Though Sonnen admitted to taking a banned substance, UFC President Dana White recently cautioned that there was more to the story that will come out in the appeal.

Sonnen had been targeted for an immediate rematch with Silva after nearly dethroning the champ in their first meeting, but that title shot will now go to Vitor Belfort at February’s UFC 127.

sorry if this has already been posted,
    TomHughes1983
    Featherweight
    Featherweight

Post  TomHughes1983 Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:23 am

The only thing that crosses my mind when Sonnen got banned was that it was under the banner of the CSAC. The California State Athletic Commission has been proven a number of times to be quite the corrupt governing body. They claimed that Sherk was taking PEDs before his fight with Hermes Franca which Sherk has always denied taking. Sherk claimed errors were made in lab testing procedures. Sherk claimed that there had been a failure to properly test the vials used in the earlier, positive tests for any remaining steroid content may have resulted in his sample becoming contaminated. However, Quest Diagnostics and the CSAC denied any errors were made but still reduced his ban from a year to six months. That to me smacks of them getting it wrong and claiming time served. If the fight had happened in Las Vegas and it was the NSAC that had busted Sonnen then I wouldn't be worried.

Either way, he'll stay at the UFC and serve out his ban like most of the other fighters that have been busted whilst fighting for the UFC. I think the main reason that Barnett got bounced from the UFC after his positive test was that Zuffa had recently bought the UFC and were trying to smarten up the image of the UFC. They didn't want a drugs cheat being their champion especially one that refused to admit to having taken anything.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Let's not forget that CSAC also banned Big Foot Silva in what was possibly the most ridiculous case i've ever heard of.
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:42 pm

what where the conditions of big foots banning because he went off to japan and fought there while being banned.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:46 pm

The commission can only ban within the US. And at that, only within states with athletic commissions.

Big Foot got banned for having too much testosterone in his body. He suffers from Acromegaly which means he naturally produces huge amounts of testosterone.
    rudeboyben84
    rudeboyben84
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  rudeboyben84 Thu Oct 07, 2010 7:49 pm

Anfields5thKing wrote:The commission can only ban within the US. And at that, only within states with athletic commissions.

Big Foot got banned for having too much testosterone in his body. He suffers from Acromegaly which means he naturally produces huge amounts of testosterone.

I think its the opposite Bigfoot having Gigantism means he doesnt produce much testosterone at all. Im not 100% but I think Giants have to take testosterone cause they dont produce enough naturally and if testosterone is banned when he is competiting im sure theres a fine line...

Im not sure the craic in bigfoots case, is testosterone its self a banned substance? I was taking a creatine shake that had testosterone in it... would that be illegal in competitive sports then? scratch
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:
    Anfields5thKing wrote:The commission can only ban within the US. And at that, only within states with athletic commissions.

I think its the opposite Bigfoot having Gigantism means he doesnt produce much testosterone at all. Im not 100% but I think Giants have to take testosterone cause they dont produce enough naturally and if testosterone is banned when he is competiting im sure theres a fine line...

Im not sure the craic in bigfoots case, is testosterone its self a banned substance? I was taking a creatine shake that had testosterone in it... would that be illegal in competitive sports then? scratch

Interesting question! I assume you test levels would be elevated which probably fail you...
    the_king
    Middleweight
    Middleweight

Post  the_king Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:28 pm

if thats that case its a bit unfair to people who naturally produce to much.
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:41 pm

they allow for that in testing I believe. The threshold in testing is above what a "normal" person would be expected to prduce
    Albion_Oakley
    Albion_Oakley
    Welterweight
    Welterweight

Post  Albion_Oakley Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:54 pm

having done a quick search the tests actually detect testosterone/epitestosterone ratio. A "normal" person would have a ratio of up to 4/1 and it takes a ratio of 6/1 to fail most PED tests.
    Anfields5thKing
    Anfields5thKing
    Light Heavyweight
    Light Heavyweight

Post  Anfields5thKing Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:58 pm

rudeboyben84 wrote:

I'm fairly certain i remember Big Foot saying he was "fortunate that his body produces so much testosterone" and that it was "one of the upsides" to his illness.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 pm